WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Poverty Protesters March in Scotland

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
Associated Press

EDINBURGH, Scotland - Tens of thousands of protesters clad in white streamed through the cobbled streets of Scotland's medieval capital Saturday, demanding that the leaders of the world's richest nations act to better the lives of the poorest.

The "Make Poverty History" marchers said the world must no longer tolerate the extreme poverty that blights the lives of millions in Africa and elsewhere. They planned to form a huge human bracelet around Edinburgh later Saturday as they kick off a week of anti-poverty activism.

The marchers want to send a peaceful but powerful message to politicians gathering for the summit of the G-8 group of rich countries at the nearby Gleneagles resort next week.

"We're not here to march for charity; we are here to march for justice," said Walden Bello, of the advocacy group Focus on the Global South.

The demonstrators urged the G-8 leaders to heed Prime Minister Tony Blair's call to erase Africa's debt, pony up for a massive boost in aid and eliminate trade barriers that make it difficult for impoverished nations to sell their goods overseas.

LINK
--------------------------------------------------------
Let's hope the G-8 will listen and do the right thing.

It is a crime that people go hungry, while the US and other nations piss away trillions and wars and other pointless pursuits...

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
I do agree, I do hope they listen, and this along with Live 8 makes a difference, and they see how many people die each year, and how they could do more.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
What the fuck is this gonna change, I ask you.

The same "elite" will keep running the shite, and there's nothing we can do about it.

They won't be like "aww look at these protestors marching against poverty! How moving! let's make things change!"

These people have no hearts and they won't change. They need to die, that's it.

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
RageAgainst said:
What the fuck is this gonna change, I ask you.

The same "elite" will keep running the shite, and there's nothing we can do about it.

They won't be like "aww look at these protestors marching against poverty! How moving! let's make things change!"

These people have no hearts and they won't change. They need to die, that's it.
You're right, as we can't do anything to change them, or change things, unless they come out of power.
I guess if you try as a majority instead of a minority, then there's more chance.

Better than not trying?

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
meh_it_all said:
You're right, as we can't do anything to change them, or change things, unless they come out of power.
I guess if you try as a majority instead of a minority, then there's more chance.

Better than not trying?
Sometimes I come to the conclusion that a single sniper would change more things than a million protestors...

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
RageAgainst said:
Sometimes I come to the conclusion that a single sniper would change more things than a million protestors...
True, sometimes things are easier that way. As a few killings have shown us. :rolleyes:

Alright......I know I run the risk of offending some people by saying this, and I apologize in advance if I do.........but I think Live 8 is a bit hypocritical.

I mean, raising awareness is wonderful and all; but what about food, shelter ...........money? Imagine how much money they could put towards the cause if they charged admission.

Not only that but how much money do you think they put into the gift bags (with upscale designer accessories, vacation packages, airline tickets, spa visits, beauty products, the latest IPod/cellphone/organizer/two-way, etc.) they are no doubt giving to celebrities who show up? The stars get thousands of dollars worth of merch, but what do the kids get? Awareness. Woooooooooo! Yeah, I'm sure they'd rather have people know they're starving than have their quality of life increased. :happysad:

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
But that's the thing though, Bob Gedolf tried to raise money to buy them food, But he couldn't get all the expenses and the shipping in time, and what happened? The food went off, millions of pounds wasted, but of that. Thats why it didn't work last time.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
I know you guys won't be surprised... but I think Live 8 is ... well... kinda retarded.... they keep championing "debt relief" its the key phrase that I kept hearing (the 10 minutes worth of concert watching I did total..) at the concerts and on the news coverage.. what would debt relief really fix... maybe we should relieve the debts of the "poor" people here in the US... that would fix the problem right.. no.. most would just put themselves back into debt... I'm for debt relief... but inconjunction with some semi-open markets... but I doubt the 2bit dictators in Africa will try and open anything but their "you are debt free, now you can charge up new debt with us" memos... I feel the concert really minimized the economic problems of "impoverished" nations... can you really end poverty... noble idea.. but without free markets highly unlikley... handouts only create more people, trying less to succeed on their own...

but the concert feels good... its a nice thought so lets pass the bong and take a hit for the poor...

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
DanGeo23 said:
can you really end poverty... noble idea.. but without free markets highly unlikley...
I'll give you an exemple of what free-trade and neo-liberalism can do to a poor country.

The farmers in a country grow things for them (things that they can eat and use) and they sell the rest (wich is not much anyways)
Companies come and buy the land.
They tell the farmers: ok, we let you stay on this land but in exchange you're gonna grow nothing but bananas (in Africa, it was peanuts.) and they buy all the bananas and peanuts they produce (at an incredibly cheap price, of course)
That's not good for the land. Europeans grew strawberries in North Africa and it fucked up the land so bad, now it's a fucking desert.
Then the farmers have to buy their food with the money they make growing bananas. They become totally dependant.
The companies then spend the huge profit they make off the farmers back in their own country, or they re-invest it somewhere else, but they NEVER invest socially in the poor country in question. These countries have poor sanitation, poor education, etc., companies (if they cared) could change that by investing in them. But no, that would be called generosity and that's against capitalism.

These poor countries should fucking join up together, nationalize everything and use the profits to invest in society (build better roads, better sanitation, etc)

I mean, look at it this way :
Company A makes 1 billion of profit a year with country A's bananas, and they distributes this profit to the share holders (who live and spend outside of country A).
Company B is property of the Government of poor country B, and they make 1 billion of profit a year exporting their bananas. They invest this profit in roads, sanitation etc just like if it was money from taxes.

Makes sense, or not?

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
nationalize everything... wow... big government at its finest... yeah makes sense.. like it did in the USSR.. and will work as well... its funny how you have such a disdain for businesses and don't trust them.. yet you would trust the corrupt governments/heads of government of those (in this case African) countries...

if Karl Marx was mandatory reading at every grade in school this world would be a better place... :thumbsdn:

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
RageAgainst said:
These poor countries should fucking join up together, nationalize everything and use the profits to invest in society (build better roads, better sanitation, etc)
The poor countries should do a lot of things, but they never do out of ignorance.

I don't think people should starve, but just feeding people doesn't fix anything except hungry stomachs.

Education is the only answer to poverty.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
DanGeo23 said:
nationalize everything... wow... big government at its finest... yeah makes sense.. like it did in the USSR.. and will work as well... its funny how you have such a disdain for businesses and don't trust them.. yet you would trust the corrupt governments/heads of government of those (in this case African) countries...

if Karl Marx was mandatory reading at every grade in school this world would be a better place... :thumbsdn:

The "businesses" don't give a crap about poverty, they exploit poor countries' ressources and reinvest their profits elsewhere. All I'm saying is these countries should fucking stand up and do their own business to re-invest their profits at home.

Neo-liberalism is NOT the answer to poverty.

Poor countries should try to gain more economical independance by nationalizing some of their ressources to at least increase their revenues and try to make the country a better place to live for their people.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
VOR said:
The poor countries should do a lot of things, but they never do out of ignorance.

I don't think people should starve, but just feeding people doesn't fix anything except hungry stomachs.

Education is the only answer to poverty.
Holy Shit.. this is officially the second time on WTF that VOR and I have come even remotely close to agreeing on anything.... :friday:

Rage said:
"businesses" don't give a crap about poverty, they exploit poor countries' ressources and reinvest their profits elsewhere
. and the leaders of those counties (are exploiting/would exploit) the poor and reinvest profits in their own Swiss accounts...

Rage said:
nationalizing some
first it was all now some.. you are coming closer to the center by the post... soon you, me and VOR will be having libations and ripping on Hillary...

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
DanGeo23 said:
Holy Shit.. this is officially the second time on WTF that VOR and I have come even remotely close to agreeing on anything.... :friday:

first it was all now some.. you are coming closer to the center by the post... soon you, me and VOR will be having libations and ripping on Hillary...
Scary!

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
DanGeo23 said:
And the leaders of those counties (are exploiting/would exploit) the poor and reinvest profits in their own Swiss accounts...
QUOTE]

Honestly, that wouldn't be worst from what's happening right now. Instead of profiting to a company, it would profit a few crooked elites.

But I agree that most leaders don't give a shit.

That's why they should have a revolution*. And the educated ones should organize it. It's either that, or nothing changes and they are forever fucked.

*Not necessarily a revolution with guns and shit. That's only good for a last resort, and it doesn't necessarily work for the better. A revolution can include, huge protests demanding elections, etc. If all the pacific stuff doesn't work, then I'm all for a bullet in the face of the "leading" motherfuckers.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Well... I do think that protests can to a some exctent make a difference.They protest to make other people see. When enough people see, in democracy, it can make a difference. (not in the so_called_democracy though, like the US).
I´d protest if I´d have the money to fly there. Bush said he doesn´t ratify Kioto, or nothing alike, because it´s bad for "business".
This leprecon makes me so angry.

I think the "whiteband"-idea is great. Where all people wear white wristbands etc. to tell they care. "Make poverty history" it was called. They also:
- put a huge white band on a punch of shacks in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- put a white sheet on a cottontree in Sierra Leone. The tree whih the freed slaves planted
- In senegal a hallway used in slave trade is also wrapped
- In Australia, the Sydney harbour will be wrapped
- In France the two Trocadero-buildings beside the Eiffel-tower are wrapped
- In Spain all the bridges close to main routes are wrapped
- In Georgia all of the trees in Tbilis walkway are wrapped with a white band.

http://www.makepovertyhistory.org
http://www.whiteband.org

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
yeah... kyoto again... we sign it.. India and China don't... why don't people bitch to them.. they contribute a shitload of pollution to our air, land and seas...