WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Poverty Rate Rises to 12.7%

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
entire article here:http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8CABQSO0.htm?campaign_id=apn_home_down&chan=db

more good news! read entire article but here is a summary....
  • 45M w/o healthcare
  • they consider living below the poverty level as follows: 4person hh <$19K & 2person hh <$12K (I'D LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THEY'RE SMOKING- I CANNOT IMAGINE ANYONE MAKING DUE ON THOSE NUMBERS! WTF?)
  • 37M people are estimated to live in poverty, of that 1/3 are thought to be children.
  • median hh income remained the same at $44K (the same rate since 2003)
  • four straight yrs in a row that poverty has risen.
people are losing their shirts! can you say, "high gasoline taxes, war in iraq, lots of debt, huge trade deficit, natural disasters, and more taxes...less of the right stuff, more of the wrong stuff." fuckin politicians, i say we repossess their things and redistribute it! :p who wants a helicopter?

jamesp

In Memory...
And everyone thought I was kidding when I said that people were going to start having to choose between gas and food.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
19k for 4 persons my ass.... these must be the same fuckers who think a can of soup can feed 5... I was making 32k and still barely paying for everything...

That shit reminds me of Thatcher, she would lower the cutoff for "poverty", so fewer people would qualify (if that's the right word) and then claim to have reduced poverty.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
CanadianPOV you have the right of it. Poverty, what income is considered poverty, keeps dropping while everything else goes up. They misrepresent the truth because I bet a shitload more people in the USA live at and below poverty, but the truth would enrage the masses. Americans are used to being lied to though.