WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Powell Regrets Iraq Weapons Claim for War

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
AP

ATLANTA - Secretary of State Colin Powell said Friday he regrets the Bush administration claimed that Iraq had stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction in its argument for war, but he believes the world is better off without Saddam Hussein.

Following a speech to the Atlanta Press Club, Powell defended the bulk of his presentation to the United Nations in February 2003 in which he made the case for war in Iraq.

"The only thing where we got it wrong and where our presentation did not hold up was the actual stockpiles," Powell said. "We've seen nothing to suggest that he had actual stockpiles. That was not right."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Powell's a standup guy...

msalyss85

Banned - What an Asshat!
Agreed. Wouldn't you think that, being a member of the Bush administration, he would hope to have Bush II re-elected? It seems as though Powell is the one telling the truth - and you know what truth does to this administration... :D

tzedek

Original Member
at best, they just didnt look into the intelligence enough. More than likely, they looked at the intelligence and saw what they wanted to see rather than what was actually there. amazingly Powell is apologizing for misleading us.

msalyss85

Banned - What an Asshat!
Powell's probably the most honest guy in the whole administration. Maybe he has a conscience.

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
I was cynical about the whole wmd thing from the beginning. I thought that if they didn't find any wmd they would "find" some if you know what I'm saying. I guess they aren't that devious or smart.

morelos

lexicon incognito
you could rename this thread to "colin powell effectively resigns"

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Excellent Morelos...

Repped :)

Colin Powell gained a lot of respect in my eyes when he said that... Just too bad he sounds like my ass.

morelos

lexicon incognito
haha.

it is indeed great to return even if just for an hour.

thanks for the rep. it's kinda sad, though, that you can only earn reputation around here for one-liners. think about the state of america. think about the psychology of the six-second sound byte.

"let's roll."
"we will never forget."
"united we stand."
"mission accomplished."
"operation: iraqi freedom."

they've finally figured out that anything short enough to stay in your articulation loop is more effective than some long-winded argument.

television is truly dumbing all of us down.

~ dan ~