WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Pre-Internet Life and how it felt the first time online

TooSmartGuile

Tenderony
Before you began using the internet regularly, what was your life like, and how did you feel when you got your hands on it?

Before I used the internet regularly, my life was my house and my school and not really having friends, but more acquaintances. My mind was mostly unraped and pretty curious. When I finally got to use the internet, I was disappointed because Dial Up and YouTube did not mix well. Videos were horribly slow to load, even ones that lasted seconds. During a vacation to Atlanta, my dad borrowed the neighbor's internet. Ah, 2009. (In retrospect those years really sucked for adults, but I enjoyed them.)

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Would you consider using multi-node dialup BBS as "internet" enough for these purposes, such as CompuServe or FreeNets? Or how about FidoNet? What about UUCP or usenet? What part are you considering to be "internet"?

• 1Like
Reactions: MaxPower

CoprophagousCop

:p
Premium
Oh yes, remember when we bought software and music and movies at stores. Remember when we wanted to talk to some one, we picked up the telephone and called them on their land line. We could hear their voice and have a conversation in real time. Remember when playing a multiplayer game meant your modem directly calling some one else's modem, but then the game had to be cut short because some one else in the house wanted to use the phone.

• 1Agree
Reactions: MaxPower

TooSmartGuile

Tenderony
Would you consider using multi-node dialup BBS as "internet" enough for these purposes, such as CompuServe or FreeNets? Or how about FidoNet? What about UUCP or usenet? What part are you considering to be "internet"?
Whatever you want. It doesn't have be Web 2.0.

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
Before Internet, I was all... playing outside, talking to people. Adventuring... building things and being social. Now, since internet... as long as the gods from above keep sliding down hot-pockets, Mt. Dew and toilet paper... I can continue to live in my dank dark underworld... where a lifetime of adventure akin to pick a wish books await my sticky fingers and imagination to bring them to life.

I feel a bit of anxiety... though I'm sure that just my heart giving out due to lack of exercise and sun exposure... but on the old web... I'm a king damnit. A king.

ThisIsBananas

Silly Face!
When I was a kid, I just stuck around AOL Games all the times. Then I started getting older and hung out on Cartoon Network's site and Newgrounds.

Out2Lunch

☠️
Before Internet, I was all... playing outside, talking to people. Adventuring... building things and being social. Now, since internet... as long as the gods from above keep sliding down hot-pockets, Mt. Dew and toilet paper... I can continue to live in my dank dark underworld... where a lifetime of adventure akin to pick a wish books await my sticky fingers and imagination to bring them to life.

I feel a bit of anxiety... though I'm sure that just my heart giving out due to lack of exercise and sun exposure... but on the old web... I'm a king damnit. A king.
Have you tried posting memes on Facebook or ordering something from Amazon?

TheRover

Mostly_Liquid
I watched more movies and read more books and ran in woods. Now I feel sweaty and stay inside laughing at my own jokes

I will get a little high if anybody likes this post so make a boy happy and just click on that like.