WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Program treats your RAM like your hard drive.

-=iNsANe=-ADJ

I once ate broccoli
It doesn't look like to me much of a deal. Maybe if I had like... 24Gb of RAM, well, yes. Just hope your system doesn't crash.

• Agree
Reactions: Sark

YogurtExplosion

Fraudulent Mexican
Far better and cheaper to spend $60 to get a 250 Gig SSD and place your OS and Steam games on that, than it is to spend $30 on the program and another $60 for only 16 Gig Ram. You will get better overall performance with the SSD anyways.
I had no idea that SSDs were that cheap.

• Sad
Reactions: BudVugger

elitewolverine

Fresh Meat
Simple fact Ramdisk SMOKES ssd's in all benchmarks, even in RAID 0 setups.

Depending on your RAM, Ramdisk can 8 times faster than most ssd's.......

If you have a MB that can handle 32GB of RAM, you have a winner in RAMDISK. I assume you're still on DDR3, you can get a 32GB 4x8GB kits for like 120-140bucks...in the speed range of 1866-2133 for DDR3.

Watch Ramdisk murder ssd's, and some ramdisk programs let you save the state of the ram and treat it like a true HDD mounting and unmounting info.

Reactions: YogurtExplosion

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Yes, everyone knows RAM will perform faster but it costs exponentially more. From a cost perspective an SSD is a better solution as it will increase all aspects of your system once you have enough RAM to run your apps, and not just what you can barely manage to fit into your spare RAM used as RamDisk. If you're running Windows OS without virtualization there is no way to load your OS from RAM. That is why SSD brings bigger boosts for the OS instead of RAM.

My home server has 128 GB ram in it. :cool:

-=iNsANe=-ADJ

I once ate broccoli
The time saved over the risks of losing all the shit mounted on RAM isn't worth the game, because I have to do everything from scratch again if the system crashes. And you know systems crash way more than you would want.
@elitewolverine do you work for some ram manufacturer or are you some ramdisk coder? :p

YogurtExplosion

Fraudulent Mexican
I bought a new computer a couple months ago. It locks up almost daily: Windows 10. :(
Maybe I can fix it. Can you tell me if it does something when locking up? What are you doing before it locks up?

I swear, a few months ago I had Windows 10 producing random colored blotches on the screen, and started lagging. It eventually started locking up. Then when I would turn the computer on, it would tell me it couldn't find Windows 10. I opened up the computer, and the SATA cable connecting the hard drive to the motherboard was broken. For some reason it wouldn't stay snapped to the hard drive, so I replaced the cable, and the problems were fixed.

CoprophagousCop

Excellence in Incelibacy
Premium
I use this computer solely to play music using an application I wrote. I had been running the application for a few years on a couple computers with Windows XP and never had a problem. Unfortunately, both McAfee and Windows Defender also appear to be running in the background and I cannot uninstall them. This computer is not connected to the internet.

Sometimes the computer will lock up while my application is playing its first song and other times the computer will lock up after my application has been playing songs for hours. It is almost like some task starts that causes the system to hang. When this happens, the screen freezes, the mouse does not respond, and a buzzing noise comes from my speakers. The only way to reset the computer is to unplug it (or turn off the power strip). It is like Windows 3.1 all over again.

:shrug::mad::thumbsdn:

YogurtExplosion

Fraudulent Mexican
I use this computer solely to play music using an application I wrote. I had been running the application for a few years on a couple computers with Windows XP and never had a problem. Unfortunately, both McAfee and Windows Defender also appear to be running in the background and I cannot uninstall them. This computer is not connected to the internet.

Sometimes the computer will lock up while my application is playing its first song and other times the computer will lock up after my application has been playing songs for hours. It is almost like some task starts that causes the system to hang. When this happens, the screen freezes, the mouse does not respond, and a buzzing noise comes from my speakers. The only way to reset the computer is to unplug it (or turn off the power strip). It is like Windows 3.1 all over again.

That's really weird. Are you still using Windows XP, or have you moved on to something different? Because operating systems can have problems running programs meant for other operating systems, especially older ones.

What happens when you try to delete McAfee and Windows Defender? I hear bad things about anti virus programs causing problems with computers. McAfee has the worst reputation, even the creator McAfee himself said the later versions sucked when he stopped developing them, and moved on from the company.

Have you also installed older computer games or any Sony products on that computer? I've heard stories about Sony products sneaking malware into older computers, and video game companies including DRM with games to disable certain pieces of hardware. You might have something else on there causing problems.

-=iNsANe=-ADJ

I once ate broccoli

It's known that running two antivirus softwares creates mess, even if Windows should notice the activity of third parties software and automatically disable the built-in antivirus. Either way, McAfee is the lamest piece of software on this planet.

CoprophagousCop

Excellence in Incelibacy
Premium
I had originally disabled Windows Defender, but after McAfee's "30 day trial" ran up, it (that is, McAfee's software) told me it was re-enabling Windows Defender. Now, both are running. I cannot delete either one because they are running and trying to kill their processes results in either an "Access denied" message appearing or nothing happening. In older versions of Windows, one could stop applications from running automatically by deleting an entry in the registry. Now, a Task Scheduler appears to handle this, but even deleting the tasks has no effect. I even removed files from the Windows\system32\Tasks directory.

My new computer is running 64-bit Windows 10, but I wrote the application on a computer running 32-bit Windows XP. My application calls WINMM.DLL. I have noticed on Windows 10 that the "Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation" process (audiodg.exe) runs in the background whenever my application is running. I once left my new computer on for about ten hours without my application running, but it never locked up. So far, it has only locked up while my application is playing a song.

I do not have anything else installed on this computer.

• Helpful

CoprophagousCop

Excellence in Incelibacy
Premium
There are no memory leaks in my program. I use a very systematic approach to managing memory. I allocate a few large buffers in which to the load the music files and then re-use them over and over. Interestingly, I had to re-write my code due to a memory leak in Windows XP. Originally, the class I wrote to handle the music files set a pointer to NULL in the constructor method. Then, when it was about to load a file, it queried the operating system to get the size of the file. It allocated the necessary memory from a heap and set the pointer to point to that memory. After playing the song, the file object was deleted. The class destructor checked if the pointer was not NULL, and if so, released the memory from the heap. The Task Manager showed the memory being released by my program, but the system's free memory did not go down until after my program had terminated.

I believe the issue is either with another process causing the lock up independent of my application or something in WINMM.DLL or audiodg.exe causing the lock up. I do not think it is a hardware problem, although I have not ran any tests on the computer's RAM, which is 2 GB.

• Helpful

CoprophagousCop

Excellence in Incelibacy
Premium
Apparently, there is a bug in the Realtek audio driver. Under the Speakers / Headphones device properties there is a section for Exclusive Mode and a check box that reads "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device". The check box was checked by default. Unchecking it seems to have fixed the problem. My computer has not locked up in the last few days. :cfingers:

I suppose some other task had started and tried to use the device, but since my application was already using the device, the exclusive mode caused the entire system to hang. WTF!? This is a major, Rank 1 bug!!! Some programmer needs to be given a good ass-kicking. :mfinger:

@oldenunder: Yes, Windows 10 is a memory hog. It, along with McAfee, uses about 1.1 GB of RAM. My application typically uses around 250 MB depending on the length of the music files. This still leaves a good 500 MB or so free. I have not installed any other software on the computer.