WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Quake 3 Keeps Crashing

Descent

Hella Constipated
Well, I finally bought Quake 3, don't laugh. But when the announcer voice pops on, after a few minutes the program stops responding and the sound does nothing but skip!

I've tried updating to the newer ATi Catalyst 5.7 driver and de-overclocking my processor, but neither works :(.

My machine is self built (As if I have never posted the specs...):
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ @ 3200+ (2.09GHz, 190FSB)
Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB
1024MB PC2100/3200 RAM @ 126MHz due to OC
Chaintech 7NIL1 Motherboard (nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset)
Windows Server 2003 SP1

Any ideas? I wanna play this real bad but I don't feel like reinstalling yet.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Sound card issue? Did you try and update the drivers for your sound card?

Descent

Hella Constipated
Fire_ze_Missles said:
Sound card issue? Did you try and update the drivers for your sound card?

I've reinstalled Q3, same shit.

I'm running the newest drivers for the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, no A3D or EAX is enabled in Q3. Besides, all I've ever heard of Turtle Beach's drivers is excellent stability, and I agree with them on that.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Hey, I have an update. I went to "Show Driver Info" for my video card and the sound skipped and it crashed out the ass to my desktop.

UPDATE 2: I just ran the Catalyst Uninstaller utility, reinstalled 5.7, and it's STILL giving me sass!

UPDATE 3: No OpenGL software seems to be working up to par. My backup monitor is a piece of shit, and I have to use custom color settings.

BUT - when I press Alt+9 to activate them in game, nothing happens in OpenGL Software! And I have my hotkeys enabled! Direct3D works fine!

What the fuck, ATi?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Two things:

1. Try running it on a platform that supports gaming. Regardless of what hacks you've done or what you may think you know, Server 2003 doesn't support gaming. Period. Don't discuss it because you'll be wrong.

2. ATI has two catalyst drivers. One requires .NET to function properly. However it will install without .NET on your system. Double check and make sure you either have the .NET framework installed or that you downloaded the non-.NET driver.

Descent

Hella Constipated
UberSkippy said:
Two things:

1. Try running it on a platform that supports gaming. Regardless of what hacks you've done or what you may think you know, Server 2003 doesn't support gaming. Period. Don't discuss it because you'll be wrong.

2. ATI has two catalyst drivers. One requires .NET to function properly. However it will install without .NET on your system. Double check and make sure you either have the .NET framework installed or that you downloaded the non-.NET driver.
Fuck it - XP is going back on this box anyway. M$ stripped GDI acceleration out of 2K3 SP1, and are now officially on my hit list.

I will, never, ever, ever again buy a Microsoft product. I'm sick of being their bitch.

And in case you are wondering, yes, my version of XP is fully legit, version 2002.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Descent said:
I will, never, ever, ever again buy a Microsoft product. I'm sick of being their bitch.
Somehow I doubt you have ever bought a Microsoft OS in the first place.

Descent

Hella Constipated
UberSkippy said:
Somehow I doubt you have ever bought a Microsoft OS in the first place.
I have legitimately bought 95, 98SE, 2000 Pro, and XP. Server was a trial.

They can take their money and shove it up their ass.

Now, on a side note, I got Quake 3 running. I disabled GL Extensions, so it looks like piss but still runs.

Jung

???
Premium
Try updating Quake to the latest point release. I had a problem with it crashing on XP Pro before, but updates fixed it.

jamesp

In Memory...
UberSkippy said:
Two things:

Exactly right, but if he was running Server 2k3 then .NET 1.1 was installed with the OS.

Go to your video card and sound card options and make sure that hardware acceleration is turned on all th way for both of them.

Descent

Hella Constipated
jamesp said:
Exactly right, but if he was running Server 2k3 then .NET 1.1 was installed with the OS.

Go to your video card and sound card options and make sure that hardware acceleration is turned on all th way for both of them.
I already fixed the problem :happysad:. ATi's OpenGL Extensions were aggravating it for some reason.

And yeah, it's got the point release installed.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
jamesp said:
Good point. Forgot about that one.