WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Gaming Quake II...Get a free legal copy (Details inside)!

Descent

Hella Constipated
I just got hooked on this game...but did I buy it?

NO!

I made the JStager Enchanced Quake II Demo. It is a demo version that plays on full version servers.

There is only one catch:

You must use Gamespy Arcade or The All Seeing Eye to find the servers.

Instant message me on AIM:

jimmystager

I will send you an zipped executable. Just extract it, download TSE or GSA, and frag along with me!

This version has NO single player mode, whatsoever. You will need broadband to play this game.

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
jstager said:

NO!

I made the JStager Enchanced Quake II Demo. It is a demo version that plays on full version servers.

There is only one catch:

jimmystager

I will send you an zipped executable. Just extract it, download TSE or GSA, and frag along with me!

This version has NO single player mode, whatsoever. You will need broadband to play this game.
ooooook, no comment

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
jstager said:

NO!

There is only one catch:

jimmystager

What is it with you and demos? Didn't you stick to demos for you lan birthday party? Why don't you just buy the real game, and then you won't have to use Gamespy Arcade, to play on full-game servers. Cheap kids these days. :thumbsup:

skylinec

Somewhere in the Between
Fire_ze_Missles said:
What is it with you and demos? Didn't you stick to demos for you lan birthday party? Why don't you just buy the real game, and then you won't have to use Gamespy Arcade, to play on full-game servers. Cheap kids these days. :thumbsup:
why pay for it when its free

Descent

Hella Constipated
If you want it, I'll send you the install file, Sky.

I never stick to demos. I always buy the whole thing.

However, I downloaded Quake II to evaluate the engine (Which is free now, so I could easily use that in the game I want to make when I geht out of college). I decided to re-make the enhanced demo that I made a while back before my hard drive died. It only took me about ten minutes.

The engine is quite nice...Basic, but nice. If you turn on trilinear filtering and shadows in the config file it looks much prettier.

Also, if you put in high-res textures, the game could look amazing.

It's really not much worse than the Quake 3 engine...it's a shitload easier to develop for, also.

tzedek

Original Member
i always hated that game... guess its just me :(

Jung

???
Premium
In the time it took me to read this thread, I could've been mostly done with a torrent or dcc get.

Jung

???
Premium
jstager said:
Yeah, but that's piracy.

My demo is 100% legal and free.
If you really believe that then you're 105% naive. Circumventing the demo's restrictions by allowing it to play all levels, isn't much better than pirating the entire game. I guess you're the internet hall monitor though. I"m willing to bet something on your PC right now is pirated, so what's another game?

Descent

Hella Constipated
Haha! I forgot I even made this thread.

The Quake 2 sourcecode is out, but since I can program as well as a kid with Down Syndrome, I really had no clue how to tinker with that.

It still seems legal to me. Contrary to popular belief, No-CD cracks are legal. I use one for Doom 3 because I hate fumbling for discs.

Game designers should start taking that "Insert Disc to Play" shit out of their games, because it is a huge fucking inconvenience to the customer. It curbs piracy by what, .2%?! Barely any pirates just install the game on another PC these days without pirating a new disc for the second user themselves.

Damn bastards...at least Epic Games takes theirs out after a while.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Send me a PM and I will give you my AIM screename.

Then I will send you the file over AIM.

Jung

???
Premium
jstager said:
Haha! I forgot I even made this thread.
The Quake 2 sourcecode is out, but since I can program as well as a kid with Down Syndrome, I really had no clue how to tinker with that.
It still seems legal to me. Contrary to popular belief, No-CD cracks are legal. I use one for Doom 3 because I hate fumbling for discs.
Game designers should start taking that "Insert Disc to Play" shit out of their games, because it is a huge fucking inconvenience to the customer. It curbs piracy by what, .2%?! Barely any pirates just install the game on another PC these days without pirating a new disc for the second user themselves.
I could be wrong, but that's not the way I understood the NO-CD crack issue. They're illegal, per the DMCA, since they circumvent encryption or copy protection.;) Also; did you pay the $999.99 single seat liscense fee for Server 2003? How about those mp3s?;)

Descent

Hella Constipated
M$ is evil, you should try to destroy their empire.

Actually, No-CD cracks do not encrypt or copy-protect. What really does that is CD keys.

Jung

???
Premium
jstager said:
M$ is evil, you should try to destroy their empire.
You can't justify it like that. I pirate stuff, but I know it's wrong; I just don't care. It's silly to only justify what you want, but condem everythign else.

jstager said:
Actually, No-CD cracks do not encrypt or copy-protect. What really does that is CD keys.
Of course the cracks don't encrypt or copy- protect, that's just silly. Also, please note; I neither said, nor implied that no-cd cracks did either. I'm actually rather confused as to where you got that from. Don't no-cd cracks circumvent copy-protection though? Isn't requiring the CD a form of copy or piracy protection? Circumventing any of those would violate the DMCA, therefore being illegal. Admittedly, It's not a very strong form, but none the less.;)

You also seem to know that.