WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Question for all you Canadians

Descent

Hella Constipated
I know that Canada uses Metric, so with cars in your country, are the numbers for KM/H bigger than MPH, or are they smaller like in the US?

Just wondering...I plan to move to Canada some day, but learning Metric will be a small hurdle.

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
You get more kilometers than miles. If I remember correctly, 100 KPH was equal to about 55 MPH.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
jstager said:
I know that Canada uses Metric, so with cars in your country, are the numbers for KM/H bigger than MPH, or are they smaller like in the US?

Just wondering...I plan to move to Canada some day, but learning Metric will be a small hurdle.
It's soooo easy. It uses tens, like money and you can count on your fingers.

Meter comparable almost to our yard. Then to get a larger or smaller incriment you multiply or devide by ten.

Yes, the ones for KM/H are bigger than the ones for mph... to answer your question directly :p

morelos

lexicon incognito
thankfully, SOMEONE understood his question.

but it was his fault: it was poorly asked.

the question was, "on a canadian vehicle's speedometer, are the KPH numbers the outermost, and larger, set of numbers as the MPH ones are on the speedometers here in america?"

american cars usually have both; the kph numbers are just kinda downplayed by comparison.

~ dan ~

So... what if you imported a car from Canada (i don't know why you would... but just... amuse me) would the numbers be canadian like or american like?

Descent

Hella Constipated
I did phrase that poorly...

I actually know metric better than I know our system of measurement...I just don't really know how to translate KM/H into MPH. But that's what the internet is for!

Also, could I get a few more answers? I just want a straight answer from a Canadian here, I've been wondering this for years now.

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
Zephlar said:
So... what if you imported a car from Canada (i don't know why you would... but just... amuse me) would the numbers be canadian like or american like?
You'd have a metric system on the dials but US laws say that you must have MPH scales on your car dials. Usually, Canadian cars have KPH readings, and MPH reading are in smaller size. This way you can easily bring your car along without any changes to it if you move from Canada to the US.

Shurikane said:
You get more kilometers than miles. If I remember correctly, 100 KPH was equal to about 55 MPH.
actually 100 KPH is equal to 65 Mph

Descent

Hella Constipated
That's pretty interesting...Thanks for the response, Shurikane.

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
I'll take a 1.75 litter of Seven.. Thanks.

magnolia

Postaholic
better than you said:
Another question for the canadians: Can I have some bacon?
Maybe with a little maple syrup? (I love real maple syrup on crepes with a dusting of powdered sugar. mmm) Sorry. I got carried away. :p

magnolia

Postaholic
haha. I love accents, but two bother me. The minnesotan, which I'm oh so "lucky" to have, and the canadian, which I get to listen to often enough. They grow on ya though.

durtytoothbrush

no piggy no!!!
I like accents, i think any guy with an accent is sexy (ok not any guy but one that already has most of it going for him). I caught on to the whole TX accent thing and I only lived there for about 18 months. y'all come back... and I"m fixen to do go... those are the two hardest terms to stop saying.

i like minnesodan accents "don't ya know?"