WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Question for Jason..

fuck_you

Banned - What an Asshat!
502
0
0
#1
Jason,
How do you keep this place running? Games are extremly expensive u have loads of them , the domain wtf.com is not cheap you dont really have many adds just some google ad words i doubt to many people click on them so how do u do it?
 

Paul

Tenderony
138
1
0
#2
i dunno about the games but umm... domains are VERY cheap
 

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
11,842
8,019
487
#3
Domains are cheap, if you already have it. However, acquiring domains can be pricey.
 

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
2,583
0
0
#4
Well, to my knowledge, only some domains are cheap, some are expensive, its just which one you want to get, and what you use it for.
I'm not sure how much it cost to keep wtf.com running.
But I'm glad its still going!

Blah It's morning, I still haven't woke up yet.
 

Paul

Tenderony
138
1
0
#5
again i note that domains ARE cheap........ as brit said.... unless you are acquiring an existing domain theres really no major cost associated with it....... believe me i know *points to sig*
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,998
2,267
487
#6
fuck_you said:
Jason,
How do you keep this place running? Games are extremly expensive u have loads of them , the domain wtf.com is not cheap you dont really have many adds just some google ad words i doubt to many people click on them so how do u do it?
Those flash games likeliy don't cost a dime. I'm not sure about Jason's set up, but their are a lot of free flash game site. You just download .swf files and add them to the site. Domains are paid for on a yearly or multi-yearly rate: (just an example from godaddy.com my registrar)

I own a .us and a .com domain, I registered both for five years. I hardly think $9.00 a year( give or take) would be considered expensive. What you use the dmoain has nothign to do with price. I can promise you that bandwidth transfer is the most expensive thing dealing with this site.
 

fuck_you

Banned - What an Asshat!
502
0
0
#7
Guys , i own a .com myself im not talking baout the registering its cheap but the domain WTF.com is a expensive domain i would say around 30 grand. These type of domains are rarely available for register so im asuming htat it was bought. The flash games on average would be around 500 bucks a peice and even that would be a good deal. I know other websites pay 500$ a game for Java games maybe flash is cheaper idk.
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,998
2,267
487
#8
fuck_you said:
Guys , i own a .com myself im not talking baout the registering its cheap but the domain WTF.com is a expensive domain i would say around 30 grand.
ASS-U-mptions! :cool:
 

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
11,842
8,019
487
#9
I'm the sole owner of the wtf.com domain since it's existence. It's never been owned by anyone else.

With that in mind, without any existing incoming traffic, I've recieved unsolicited offers of a few thousand dollars. After the site went up, I've recieved a few higher offers, but have declined them. The novelty and fun are enough to overweight the current offers.

Of course we'd be hard pressed to turn down an offer that was enough for us to retire on.
 

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
6,801
5,356
387
#11
fuck_you said:
Jason,
How do you keep this place running? Games are extremly expensive u have loads of them , the domain wtf.com is not cheap you dont really have many adds just some google ad words i doubt to many people click on them so how do u do it?
Lots and lots of PORN!
 

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
4,674
46
0
#12
Jason said:
Lots and lots of PORN!
Actually

COme to think about it they do have a few sponsers. Everytime you open a thread up there is a sponser banner.

There for he sells that slot, like on your race car when you look for sponsers.

for how much or how it set up, i don't know
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,998
2,267
487
#13
_Kitana_ said:
Actually

COme to think about it they do have a few sponsers. Everytime you open a thread up there is a sponser banner.

There for he sells that slot, like on your race car when you look for sponsers.

for how much or how it set up, i don't know
Actually

They're not sponsors, their adds by google, as stated perviously by fuck_you. https://www.google.com/adsense/?hl=en_US&sourceid=aso&subid=us-et-ads
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,998
2,267
487
#16
_Kitana_ said:
same kind of thing.
Nope!

I know the concept is a bit misleading, since the forum module is titled "sponsors", that is just the module name though. If you read up on adsense, it's NOT a sponsorship program, hence the title adsense. A sponsor donates money, google's adsense only provides money when the banners are clicked, hence no donations.

So no; it's not the "same type of idea."
 

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
4,674
46
0
#17
junglizm said:
Nope!

I know the concept is a bit misleading, since the forum module is titled "sponsors", that is just the module name though. If you read up on adsense, it's NOT a sponsorship program, hence the title adsense. A sponsor donates money, google's adsense only provides money when the banners are clicked, hence no donations.

So no; it's not the "same type of idea."
I understood that they only pay you if you click on them. You know how many of those things I have clicked by mistake, or clicked to read.

Basically google is saying. If you toss this banner on your site every time someone takes note of it and clicks on it we will give you money. Its a diffrent type of sponser but all the same
 

breakology

Kiss my Converse
1,890
5
102
#18
BRiT said:
I'm the sole owner of the wtf.com domain since it's existence. It's never been owned by anyone else.

With that in mind, without any existing incoming traffic, I've recieved unsolicited offers of a few thousand dollars. After the site went up, I've recieved a few higher offers, but have declined them. The novelty and fun are enough to overweight the current offers.

Of course we'd be hard pressed to turn down an offer that was enough for us to retire on.

sure, sure ... this place on run by selling meth to parma high kids .... wtf.com is a front! :p
 

fuck_you

Banned - What an Asshat!
502
0
0
#19
advertisements have 2 different types , affiliate programs and manual programs affiliate programs are programs like www.cj.com or www.floppybank.com they are ppc like mag said or ppl (pay per lead) a think of a sponsor this way, a sponsor pays to help a minor leage baseball team and in return gets recognition same with a website sponsor.

so..

affiliate programs are addvertisements that track what people do when u click the link.

sponsor programs are just normal links back.

Hope this clears things up.
 

tzedek

Original Member
2,515
5
38
#20
when is the next wtf survivor round? i think we should have one every week...