WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Quick question that I cannot solve for some reason.

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
I don't know what is up with my screen. I have a MSI 128Mb video card. I want to watch full screen movies in full screen but for some reason it is not full screen. When I play them, it looks like a sqaure block, with black edges all the way around. I don't know how to set my video card. Another question, with a 128mb video card, is it better for the screen resolution to be 800x600 or 1024x768. The only thing I hate for the screen resolution to be 1024x768 is that everything is tiny. I don't know what is up with being able to watch something in full screen, no matter what program I use, whether its something I downloaded or a dvd. I thought I would never say this but, I need help :confused:

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
What size monitor do you have and what Program are you watching a DVD in?

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
Its a 15inch flat screen crt monitor, and its not just one program, its all the programs it does that in. I have Beyond 3D MSI DVD 5.1 CH, and DivX Player for my downloads. But I think it might be my video card. I need to set it right. I never had this problem before.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Did you uninstall your old video drivers if you just intalled a new video card?

And naturally, the higher your screen resolution, the clearer the picture, but 800X600 should work fine for a 15" monitor.

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
brainwashmonkey said:
Did you uninstall your old video drivers if you just intalled a new video card?

And naturally, the higher your screen resolution, the clearer the picture, but 800X600 should work fine for a 15" monitor.
Well, it was the only video card installed on this computer. I built it from scratch with a brand new case, motherboard, ect. I just never really watched any video or movies on here until now...lol.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Are you watching like downloaded Divx stuff? cause I would guess that some aren't scalable, or able to be resized.

Jung

???
Premium
Is it a DVD with "Widescreen" setting?
Is it a downloaded DiVx or Xvid movie?

If it's the latter, most aren't encoded in fullscreen settings. You should be able to see the movies native resolution through explorer.

To the question about resolutions: It really doesn't matter, it's just personal preference. I use 1280 x 1024, and it works fine for me.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
she said something about it being black all the way around, so I would guess it isn't a widescreen DVD. But... then again I don't really know.

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
brainwashmonkey said:
she said something about it being black all the way around, so I would guess it isn't a widescreen DVD. But... then again I don't really know.
Your right! Its not the wide screen thing. The dvd's that I tried are for full screen, but like I said, it has that black all the way around making it a box. Now thinking about that, it does do that with my full screen games too. Like my Bejeweled Delux 2 game, and some other good games. I still think it has something to do with the video card settings. When I had those same things downloaded before with my older computer, it worked just fine in full screen. I don't know, my boyfriend's computer was like that at one time and I did something to it to make it work, but forgot how I did it or what I did. I don't remember if I had uninstalled the card and reinstalled it for him or what. But after I did it, it worked. Maybe I should do the same thing.

Another question, what or how many Hertz should my monitor be set on and what should my dpi be set on?

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
did you try to adjust the settings on the monitor itself?

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
Yep, If I didn't then I would see the black box around my windows desktop.