WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Quitting Smoking Support Group/Blog

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
Ok, maybe it's me trying to be positive, the alcohol has left my system and now I'm on a slight health kick.

How about we make an e-pact? We can use this thread as a support group for aiding quitting smoking...anyone down?

Every day, get on and list how many cigarettes you smoked the day before and or talk about anything pertaining to your quitting smoking. Kinda like a blog.

Does this make any sense?

Lemme start...

Yesterday I smoked 8 cigarettes (as opposed to my usual 1 pack)
I'm having a lot of trouble curbing myself. I gave myself a limit of 5 today but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go over. I already had 2. If I can just do one day without smoking at all I think I'll be able to get down to significantly less. In NYC my pack costs $7.50, the pack a day thing is putting me in the negative.

BklynCannonball

This isn't a quit drinking thread, this is a quit smoking thread hun. Drink to your heart's content. I know I do. :thumbsup:

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
good luck mate.. i stopped in 2001, i have 'mycobacterium abcessus' in my lungs so i won't be going back either, it isn't treatable yet..

i didn't start smoking straights until '97 (yeah, i'm stoopid.. a bad break-up started me on them).. but i'd already been smoking hash for 15 years, which is possibly what did the lungs, although the docs (when they actually have a clue) think it's not drug related.

i don't know how old your lungs are but whatever age.. give them a break.. nobody has to be a saint but being 38 and in hospital for 4 weeks with tubes in my chest to reinflate them, twice.. is a bit more fucked than i was expecting..

i only drink now.. it's good for my nerves after all that.

again, good luck. if someone else can give up then you can..

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
BklynCannonball said:
This isn't a quit drinking thread, this is a quit smoking thread hun. Drink to your heart's content. I know I do. :thumbsup:
I was saying as I couldn't say much on the smoking side, I gave up after 6 years. :)

icka

fuckoffanddiekthx!
i smoked 1 cigarette yesterday

none so far today.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
I am an official quiter. I quit quiting at one point but I decided to start quiting again. So far it's been 8 months no cancer sticks.

A few things I learned:
1. It's easier to quit if you quit with someone else. It's HARD to quit if you go outside with all your friends who aren't quitting.

2. Gum is your friend. I was spending more money on gum than I did on smokes for a while. But gum is better for your teeth, your lungs and getting laid. (Gum tastes better than smokers mouth does.)

3. When a craving hits you remind yourself that you don't need it right NOW. This instant. Sometimes you have to go second by second reminding yourself that this second you don't need one.

4. Once you're out of the forest you gotta keep looking for trees. After 6 months I thought I was free and clear. Then yesterday I had a crappy day and nearly lost it. I needed a smoke. I HAD to have a SMOKE. I wasn't prepared for that feelings. I thought those days were behind me. So I chewed 3 sticks of gum, drank a beer and reminded myself that I didn't need it right now. Or now. Or now. Or now. Pretty quick I got bored and the dogs wanted in and I forgot about it.

5. Cold turkey is a bitch. And it has NOTHING to do with a fucking turkey. Or being cold for that matter.

6. A set back today is no reason to give up. If you miss a goal today do your best to get the hell over it and meet your goal tomorrow. Don't do shit like "Well, I had 2 extra smokes today so I'll have 2 fewer tomorrow." If your goal is 5 and you have 7 today, your goal tomorrow is still 5. ONE day at a time means exactly that.

Good luck. It's not an easy ride.

I've tried so many times that I've lost count. Yesterday I smoked 6 cigarettes, today I'm going for five. It baffles me how people can smoke multiple packs a day.

I really feel bad for you guys. I have been smoking off and on for 4 years. However, some days (when I'm drinking alot or doing other things) I will smoke a whole pack or 2. The wierd thing is I have never gotten addicted I just like smoking, I can smoke a whole pack in one day and then go the rest of the week without one. I know its wierd but its true.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
BrokenTraitor said:
I really feel bad for you guys. I have been smoking off and on for 4 years. However, some days (when I'm drinking alot or doing other things) I will smoke a whole pack or 2. The wierd thing is I have never gotten addicted I just like smoking, I can smoke a whole pack in one day and then go the rest of the week without one. I know its wierd but its true.
You're addicted my friend. Addiction doesn't mean it's a daily thing.

Try making a conscious decision to live your life normally except not a single smoke. Not at a bar, not when you're upset or anything else.

BklynCannonball

So last night I had 13 cigarettes. I was really frustrated, had seen my ex, and of course, I'm still mad for her, and of course at this point she's been with 3 other girls and has now been dating this one girl for 2 months now.

So needless to say, seeing her again fucked me up. I couldn't sleep last night so I had cigarette after cigarette and sang at the top of my lungs until 3 in the morning. I'm talking, Nina, System, Blondie, whatever. Finally I laid in bed and cried. I actually fucking cried. 1st time I've ever cried alone.

So yeah 13 cigarettes. Today so far, not a one but it's getting harder as the day goes. I'm not sure I'm gonna make it all day without one, but it's already 11:20 and I usually have 2 or 3 by now. The only thing that's stopping me from smoking is my financial situation, well that and the fact that my throat is all toe' up!

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
deleted..

i was trying to help, this is a help thread..

lists like that work/help for some people..

/me wanders off

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
I've had one cig in the past 2 years.
Not bad.
But I'll continue to smoke ganja and drink.
:thumbsup:

BklynCannonball

Ok so I didn't do so well. I went to lunch and had 3. But I'm ok with that because I had a mental breakdown (not from cigarettes) earlier, so I am obviously not ready to put my body and mind through that much stress.