WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Quitting Smoking...

jamesp

In Memory...
1,714
1
0
#1
Mmk guys, heres the deal. I have smoked cigarettes for about eight years now, and I've decided I need to stop. Do you guys have any suggestions, aside from the ever obvious "Just quit..."
 

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
9,727
4,260
387
#3
Well, it's going to take Willpower.

Set a date in your mind when you are going to quit smoking... Don't tell anyone.
And then on that day. Just quit. Just quit. I know its hard, and you'll go through horrible withdrawls, hell I only smoked like 10 cigarettes a day, and I had a week long headache and upset stomach when I quit. But I did. Just remember, you are the only thing that makes you smoke. Granted your body wants it, but you acutally have to make that consience effort to put one in your mouth and light the end.
 
4,020
3
36
#4
Ummm....give your cigarettes to me. :happysad:

I've smoked for about as long as you have. I tried to quit once. It wasn't pretty. I have no advice to offer. Sorry.
 

Jiraffe

Domesticated Savage
3,388
12
202
#5
First of all don't let anyone discourage you from doing so. It is by our peers that we fall the hardest.

Second of all find a step down method that works for you. Patches, gums, daily cut backs, whatever.

Third just remember that you are doing this for you. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. You are the most important part of this not anyone else.

Hope that helps.
 

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
9,727
4,260
387
#6
To me it would seem that cold turkey would by far be the quickest way to go about it. Personally I'd rather feel like shit for a few days instead of chewing gum for 6 months and ending up smoking again...
 

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
5,034
25
132
#7
I smoked for 5 years and gave up. I went cold turkey, It wasn't too hard for me.

Like monkey said, It's all about willpower, you gotta stick with it.

Good luck!
 

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
1,488
23
102
#9
I quit for about a month, but quickly got back on to them when certain problems came up.

Anyways, what i used to do was:
  • At first, I'd try to give up smoking during the morning. Lengthen the period until I light up.
  • Drank lots of orange juice. Some reason it helped.
  • Played computer games...ones which require all my attention
  • Avoided the pub
  • Forced friends to smoke outside or a mile away from me.
  • Rolled cigarrettes, then unrolled them and continued with what I was dsoing before hand.
  • But most importantly, I kept myself busy.
\
Why do I smoke now? Because I can't be fucked to give up again. Smoking is not bothering me at the moment. Might do when I next end up with a cough or something.

EDIT: Go to bed earlier. I smoke the most in the evening.
 

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
7,529
63
142
#10
One word: GUM.

Not nicotine gum, just gum. Any gum. I bought it in cases. I'd chew a pack of gum a day.

Personally, I agree with BWM about cold turkey. It's like a bandaid, do it and get it over with. I wanted to see results. Smoking a few sticks a day less wouldn't have done it for me. I wanted to stop smoking and I wanted to stop NOW.

For me, I smoked when things weren't going well or I was under a lot of stress. To this day (10 months later) when I get stressed I STILL want a smoke. Those are the worst cravings because they're unexpected. I was prepared for them when I was first quiting. But later on, after I'd gotten over the worst of it, I had let my guard down and BAM, I wanted a smoke.

A few things that might help:

Avoid the routines that you use to smoke. For example don't go out with your co-workers for their smoke breaks. Shift your schedule a bit so that you have a different break time than you used to have.

Don't go out drinking with your buddies if they're going to smoke. Or go out but insist on a no-smoking place.

Basically do your best to stay out of situations where other people are smoking or where you normally would be smoking.

Finally, when the cravings are really bad, take it one moment at a time. Every second say "See, I don't need a bud right this second." Eventually it'll get easier. You will feel like hell for a while and you will miss the routine but eventually that goes away too.
 
3,050
0
0
#11
good luck james! i've quit twice now :) i've done well, i was back at it ummmm not long after.
take their advice though, get gum, go cold turkey and try not to gain 20lbs in the process. good luck, ooo the patch might be good too.
 

Sektor

Particinator
662
0
0
#12
Keep yourself busy, and don't let your mind dwell on it too long.

Not going around it for a while helps too. That's how I got off the weed.
 

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
1,488
23
102
#13
It's "rumoured" that giving up smoking is as hard as giving up heroin.
 

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
2,186
1
0
#14
I can smoke for months and quit just like that. Apparently I do not have an addicting personality. I don't seem to get addicted to anything. Sorry, all I can say is: Good Luck!
 

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
8,339
43
142
#15
Try aversion therapy. That's what I did and it worked (too bad my wife didn't quit when I did).

Get the patch or nicotine gum. Then pick up a pack of American Spirit herbal cigarettes. Whenever you feel like you HAVE to smoke something or explode, start puffing an herbal cig. They're so nasty I could only get 2 or 3 drags in before I couldn't take it and had to put it out. Eventually you won't even want to take a drag.
 
4,149
2
0
#16
I once had a police officer tell me that nicotine patches and gum might as well be the same as cigarettes for all the nicotine in them. Don't know for sure this is true, but you might want to look into that just in case before trying anything like that. I can't really tell you anything else that is different from what the above have said. I tried three cigarettes in one night and didn't get addicted to them, so I don't know what you're going through. I would definitely support the gum idea, that can be addicting too in a way, but it's a better addiction and cheaper.
 

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
26,094
191
0
#17
jamesp said:
Mmk guys, heres the deal. I have smoked cigarettes for about eight years now, and I've decided I need to stop. Do you guys have any suggestions, aside from the ever obvious "Just quit..."
Dont buy any cigarrettes?

I have no idea. I can not quit smoking, I would die. I am going to die if I do not quit though, so shit.

Try gum, chewing on pencils, nic patch.

/me lights a marb.
 

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
8,339
43
142
#18
tiger_86 said:
I once had a police officer tell me that nicotine patches and gum might as well be the same as cigarettes for all the nicotine in them. Don't know for sure this is true, but you might want to look into that just in case before trying anything like that. I can't really tell you anything else that is different from what the above have said. I tried three cigarettes in one night and didn't get addicted to them, so I don't know what you're going through. I would definitely support the gum idea, that can be addicting too in a way, but it's a better addiction and cheaper.
That's kind of the point. It's actually harder to break the oral fixation than the nicotine addiction. You use the gum and patches to give you nicotine, then slowly use less and less of it (patches and gum come in varying degrees of strength). After I quit smoking I went through gum like I owned stock in the company and put on 50lbs.
But once I went off the patch completely, I turned into a raging asshole (more so than I am now). There were a few times people tried to get me to smoke again just so I'd calm down.

edit: btw, i don't plan on quitting again any time soon. I decided I don't want to live past 50 anyway. The body's already on its way out and I don't want to have my mind go too.
 
4,149
2
0
#19
Tostig said:
That's kind of the point. It's actually harder to break the oral fixation than the nicotine addiction. You use the gum and patches to give you nicotine, then slowly use less and less of it (patches and gum come in varying degrees of strength). After I quit smoking I went through gum like I owned stock in the company and put on 50lbs.
But once I went off the patch completely, I turned into a raging asshole (more so than I am now). There were a few times people tried to get me to smoke again just so I'd calm down.

edit: btw, i don't plan on quitting again any time soon. I decided I don't want to live past 50 anyway. The body's already on its way out and I don't want to have my mind go too.
*shrugs* Like I said, I don't really know about these things. The guy told me it was giving the same amount of nicotine as a cigarette, and he seemed to be implying all of the gum and patches did this, as in not really stepping down gradually, just giving the user a new form of nicotine. I really just mentioned it to say that if jamesp does decide to try one of those methods to do some research first.
 

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
7,529
63
142
#20
Here's a fun fact for all the smokers: Nicotine is one of the world's most effective insecticides. You have to wonder what the hell that's doing to your brain.

Would you smoke a can of RAID?