WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Racism, WTF.com and you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goatstack

You just keep on typing..
I can tell someone to fuck off or call them a motherfucker, but if I were to call them a '******', I could potentially be banned?

Someone with good reason: please explicate.

DIZNUTS

Ñúñ'§ þêG £ègGéÐ /\/\å±ëý
Goatstack said:
I can tell someone to fuck off or call them a motherfucker, but if I were to call them a '******', I could potentially be banned?

since i have the biggest balls........y do you care? are you my lover? my sexy baby?

p.s. if i get banned then it was fun :thumbsup:

Jung

???
Premium
Goatstack said:

I guess it would depend on the mod/admin, but racism is one of the few things we ban people permanently for.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Goatstack said:

Racial Slurs will get you banned; ask our esteemed member, Descent.

Otherwise you can slander anyone you want, anyway you want; fuckhead. :p :thumbsup:

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
I'm not a mod, but the forum rules do specifically prohibit racist statements. In American language and society it is usually assumed the anyone besides a black person using it is racially slurring Africans. However when a African-American uses it, it can many ambiguous and/or generic contexts. However, many black Americans do not approve black usage of the word because they believe it demeans African Americans. Because this forum is operated mainly by Americans on a (presumably) US based server, it is probable that American society's norms will be applied. With that said, I would recommend avoiding it even if you are black, because they is no effective way for someone's e-black to be confirmed.

Goatstack

Racism
- The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

- Used as a disparaging term for a member of any socially, economically, or politically deprived group of people.

Now, these terms don't match up. Why would you assume I was a racist if I simply called someone a '******'?

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
I just gave what I believe the general consensus in America is. What Webster says often disagrees with what people think. The folks who write dictionaries are mainly English graduades, not History or Socieology grads. Besides, look the origin of the words. They'll give clues as to who might gets pissed if called that.

Jung

???
Premium
Goatstack said:
Racism
- The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

- Used as a disparaging term for a member of any socially, economically, or politically deprived group of people.

Now, these terms don't match up. Why would you assume I was a racist if I simply called someone a '******'?
Well thanks for the definitions there, Encyclopedia Brown. I'm sure none of us knew the definitions of either until your informative post.

Seriously though, I know it could be a case of context, but you're still playing with fire. It's up to the mod/admin's discretion, and if you get banned for it it'll likely stick. Common sense tells you that the most common usage of the word is as a racial slur, and honestly I don't see any fitting uses of it outside of that. Maybe you're more creative than I though.

Bottom line, if you don't want to get banned for it, then just don't use it. If not saying it online has you that troubled, then maybe you should learn some new words.

Goatstack

I'm not trying to imply that I wish to use it.

I was just reading in another forum and everyone got taboo when someone called someone else a '******'.

I found it inane that so many would be ok with all the pointless 'bitching' and flaming and yet so upset at one stupid six letter word.

I would bet most of you laugh when you hear Dave Chappelle using it.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
Dave Chappelle has a funny voice...what ever he says is going to be funny. I think jung and woody laid it out pretty neatly for you.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
I laugh my ass off when Dave Chappell, Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy or Richard Prior say just about anything.
It's certainly a valid question you have. I think it is dumb and wrong that words like fuck, shit, dick, pussy are censored. But a lot people believe it making those words taboo is the right thing to do.

Jung

???
Premium
Goatstack said:
I'm not trying to imply that I wish to use it.

I was just reading in another forum and everyone got taboo when someone called someone else a '******'.

I found it inane that so many would be ok with all the pointless 'bitching' and flaming and yet so upset at one stupid six letter word.

I would bet most of you laugh when you hear Dave Chappelle using it.
Well, the wrong person saying in real life would likely get their ass beat. Online it's a bit more tricky, especially since we can't immediately tell your race or nationality. Personally, I see no reason I'd ever need to use the word. It's just plain racist, and I'm not. I suppose my white friends might not mind, and maybe a few of my black friends would find it cute or something, but I still don't like it. Likewise I don't go around calling people "kike" or "spic," even if in a joking manner. I'm ot racist, nor do I wish to offend people by using racial slurs. I doubt you can point out one legitimate use of the word though.

As for the Chappelle thing, it's comedy and he's black. I don't mind if he says it, although I think it's counter productive. [I think it's confusing for some people, and possibly sends the message that it's ok for some to us it, but not others. Personally I think it's racist to imply that one race can use it but not another, but that's the socially acceptable use of it. Oh well.] I also think that his usage of the word is mostly tongue in cheek. Chappelle, and Prior, are just funny people, I'm laughing at their humor, not their usage of the word.

Jung

???
Premium
Goatstack said:
I'm just thrown off by the irony of this site. :(
I don't see any irony. This is a place to rant, true, but not a place to make others feel inferior or offended for things they can't change. There are enough other things you can flame someone for, and other names you can call them without ever needing to take things to that level.

I don't see why another man or woman should be degraded just for being born a certain color. It's just ridiculous and ignorant, online or off. I wouldn't put up with friends saying it in real life, and I'll perma-ban anyone who says it here.

This has been drawn out too long already, and I hope you've received your clarification. I'll leave this open for now incase anyone has anything to add. I think we're beyond the point of disputing this though.

Goatstack

The irony is that you're so fucking bitchy to everyone and everything, yet you're so polite about it :)

I understand that to you, and probably everyone here '******' is a racist term. Racism to you is neither funny nore appropriate.

Thank you for the clarification. :)

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Let's simplify the already simple concept for you.

In the event a member verbally attacks another member, in a manner inconsistent with racial tolerance policies. The management reserves the right to make a case-by-case determination, on the intent of the language used. If the intent of said dialogue, was deemed malicious in nature; the management reserves the right to take disciplinary action including but not limited to subjecting the offensive member public ridicule, Cock Farming ®, or permanent banning.

Have fun but don't put an eye out. :thumbsup:

Sektor

Particinator
Speaking as a black person, I personally do not mind the use of the word by any race, as long as it's not used in a demeaning manner. Fuck, I'll laugh at you.

If you read the FAQ though, it says that this site was once sort of lenient on it, but they gave an inch and some of you took a mile, so you get what you earn. Now no one can say it.

Jung

???
Premium
Ok, I left this open for people to add insight, but nothing is getting accomplished here. (No offense, Max and Sektor.) You've received your clarification, and hopefully this will clear up anyone else's questions about this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.