WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Raid-o

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
I just finished installing 2 new 74 Gb Western Digital Raptor SATA hard drives into my box. I set them up to run in a RAID-O array... I believe this is the striping one. In Windows, in My Computer, and under teh Properties tab for the C: drive, it shows that I only have 69Gb of total disk space. Is this correct or did I incorrectly setup my system?

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
in a Raid-0 setup, you should see about 130 Gigs available (ie: Actual Space =~ 0.90 * marketting size (2 * 74Gig)). It sounds like you don't have a raid array setup across both drives.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Upon boot-up it shows that I have a selectable RAID array in my BIOS/CMOS or whatever. How do I get Windows to recognize my damn array? And, If I don't have an array setup, why don't I have 2 Hard Drives in My Computer, there's only the C: drive, no more.

EDIT: there's also the CD drives and the floppy, but they don't matter. I was trying to make this array bootable, and install Windows XP Professional on it (the array), but apparently it only recognized one drive. How in the hell did that happen?

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
When you boot the system do you get prompted for like cntl+a to enter sata bios?
When you installed windows did you have to f6 the sata driver?

Drop into chat and we's can hook you up..

Descent

Hella Constipated
I have an SATA adapter integrated into my SiS 634 southbridge. For me it is ctrl+s, you may want to try that.

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
Sounds like you are RAID 1; if you have half the storage. Have you checked Disk Manager to see if the other drive is there and un-partitioned disks?

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
Broken said:
Sounds like you are RAID 1; if you have half the storage. Have you checked Disk Manager to see if the other drive is there and un-partitioned disks?

if he was in RAID 1 then his other raptor would show up under my computer...my friend had the same problem a few weeks ago and i went over there to look at it...i know this sounds dumb but make sure you have a good connection to the mobo with the sata cables...if you do and you still can't get it to work tell me what kind of mobo you have.