WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Range of Download Speed

What is the range of Speeds you have reached on your modem (Please select 2)

• The worste speed ive gotten is less than 0.0. i was actually losing data

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
please only select two options on the poll.

in the past couple of days ive gotten the biggest range of download speed. on sunday morning downloading from fileplanet i downloaded a file at its peak at 3461 KB/sec. and today i downloaded something from some radnom small site at .71 KB/sec. i have a cable modem. i understand the basic mechanics of what would determine this, im just curious if anyone has gotten a lot lower or higher on a cable modem, or any extroardinary speeds in general anyone has seen.

My modem does pretty well I'd say. It usually makes downloads at 2000kbps+ but at times hits over 4000 or under 250.

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
god! what type of modems do you guys got! I cap at about 400kbs on my cable. 4 megs my ass...

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Yeah, I cap at 400kb/s. Doesn't bother me at all. D/L's are done pretty fast. :thumbsup:

I'm just strangly lucky, it only acts like that with this computer, if I set it up with any other of the computers in the house its pretty average.

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Fire_ze_Missles said:
Yeah, I cap at 400kb/s. Doesn't bother me at all. D/L's are done pretty fast. :thumbsup:
It justs gets annoying when you bought a 4 MEG download speed package because you're downloading 500-800 meg files almost daily.

Jung

???
Premium
I have 4Mb/384 at home and usually max out around 400KB from HTTP/FTP and 500KB from Usenet.

At work we're on multiple bonded t3s, I usually get about 3MB (32768KB).
billybob13 said:
god! what type of modems do you guys got! I cap at about 400kbs on my cable. 4 megs my ass...
What's so odd about that? 4Mb = 512KB, so 400KB isn't that bad really, considering overhead and such. You're probably confusing Megabyte(MB) with Megabit(Mb).
billybob13 said:
It justs gets annoying when you bought a 4 MEG download speed package because you're downloading 500-800 meg files almost daily.
I think you're just misunderstanding how bandwidth is measured. Your connection is measured in Megabits, not megabytes.

Also, bandwidth has nothing to do with speed; your "4MEG download speed" is the the amount of bandwidth you're allowed to use at any given time. Bandwidth does not equal speed.

Jung

???
Premium
Yes, there are 8 bits in each byte.

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
junglizm said:
What's so odd about that? 4Mb = 512KB, so 400KB isn't that bad really, considering overhead and such. You're probably confusing Megabyte(MB) with Megabit(Mb).
Sorry. I'm not that keen on the internet-speed downloading lingo. :confused:

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
billybob13 said:
Sorry. I'm not that keen on the internet-speed downloading lingo. :confused:

Most people aren't. The commercials say bit, but customers hear byte. They think that they are equatable. But they aren't, because it takes 8 bits to make 1 byte. So, 4 Megabits is equal to 512 kilobytes.

Jung

???
Premium
Fire_ze_Missles said:
Most people aren't. The commercials say bit, but customers hear byte.
It's a marketing ploy; the larger numbers sound faster and attract uneducated users. So consumers hear speed rated in kb, but programs measure speeds in KB. Another thing they do is just say "3 meg connection" or list megabit as MB, which is the abbreviation for a megabyte. It's all just marketing really.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
Fire_ze_Missles said:
Most people aren't. The commercials say bit, but customers hear byte. They think that they are equatable. But they aren't, because it takes 8 bits to make 1 byte. So, 4 Megabits is equal to 512 kilobytes.
4 megabits = roughly .5 megabytes. so if you heard byte you are getting 12.5% of what you thought you were. hmm im not sure if they always used bits for this, but it sounds like a ploy they use to make you think you are getting more. if you heard byte.

Jung

???
Premium
Fire_ze_Missles said:
So, 4 Megabits is equal to 512 kilobytes.
WizardlyFriend said:
4 megabits = roughly .5 megabytes.
Same thing. 4Mb = 4096Kb = 512KB = (exactly).5MB
WizardlyFriend said:
hmm im not sure if they always used bits for this, but it sounds like a ploy they use to make you think you are getting more. if you heard byte.
Most companies don't advertise their speeds in kilobits anymore, but most do use megabits. Which a lot of people confuse with megabytes.

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
I got confused when the commercial said, "imagine, downloading a 4 meg file in a second!" That's where I thought 4 megabytes, not bits.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I max out at about 5 KB/sec, usually I get about 3KB/sec.

I've had transfers get to reaaaaally low speeds, though.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Yes.

Sorry, forgot to mention that. That was probably important to mention :D

Pidgeon182

Bird of the Week
OMG I t3h ub4r 1337 with about 40000000mb/s...I swear, I hacked the government to get this ub4r 1337 connection.

for all of those who don't know, that was sarcasm.