WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Music Rap and modern crap

polaris_nine

Banned - What an Asshat!
jamesp said:
rap, just like real music except for the profoundly stupid lyrics....
yes, thank you!

it really is a great accomplishment if you can talk rapidly and rhyme about sex with your one-eyed hoes.

Jugular

volatile
Muse and Radiohead Punk music kicks ass too....like Dead Kennedy's and the Misfits and so on. Some old stuff is pretty badass, I listen to Clapton sometimes as well as some Rush and The Who
the list of kick ass classic rock, punk, and metal is endless.

Jung

???
Premium
polaris_nine said:
yes, thank you!

it really is a great accomplishment if you can talk rapidly and rhyme about sex with your one-eyed hoes.
On that note, and if we're generalizing, growling/whining/screaming into a mic isn't exactly a great feat either, yet some will tout it as gospel. :rolleyes:

I do hate MTV rap; it's utter garbage, but then again so is 99% of all other mainstream music. I do, however, enjoy hip hop. I like poetic and intelligent lyrics, and artists who actually have a message and a brain. I care not about rantings about money, drugs or sexual conquests; it's all just drivel anyway. In my opinion, good hip hip is such artist as Murs, Mf Doom, The Herbalizer, The Kleptones, Nujabes, Dj Shadow, UNKLE, and a lot of instrumental breaks. I doubt most people who critisize rap have even heard of those guys... it just goes to show how bad mainstream music really is.

I'm not a fan of the MTV generation crap either, nor the radio. Music today is, for the most part, soulless and bland - there's no innovation anymore and teens will flock to anything that the media says is cool. Well, I like complex and soulful music. I choose not to listen to the next iteration of the same pop groups that have been around for years.

Aside form hip hop I listen to a lot of different types of music; I'm a huge fan of reggae, blues, jazz, jungle, breakbeat, classic rock, punk, various other electronic genres and even some metal.

Zickddot

Banned - What an Asshat!
i hate ALL classisc rock, people dont realize that its just a stupid fad(well im generalizing, my school has just "found" classic rock) but, ifyour age 12-16 and your listening to classic rock....i will invent a hell and send you to it.

Zickddot said:
i hate ALL classisc rock, people dont realize that its just a stupid fad(well im generalizing, my school has just "found" classic rock) but, ifyour age 12-16 and your listening to classic rock....i will invent a hell and send you to it.
well like junglizm said, music today is soulless and shitty. it wasn't a "stupid fad" it changed a freakin generation. i usually listen to most anything except mainstream music. cause it sucks :thumbsup:

i listen mostly to metal classic rock jazz and blues and swing

VenomHowell

Cynical Piece of Shit
I still have my trusty Megadeth! :thumbsup:

Intellegent lyrics, great themes, lots of varied subjects and sounds... And the most intense band ever, without degenerating into 'screamo' and sounding like a retard on fire, while guitars that sound mysteriously like whirring chainsaws blare without rythm in the background...

God, I hate Slipknot and those other fucking 'screamo' bands. Learn to sing, assholes.

mmm...cheese

Banned - What an Asshat!
Boycott said:
I can't stand rap. I'll listen to basically any rock band (except a lot of those that are played on Much Music [MTV])... Linkin park isn't quite rap, but its crap anyways. I think I enjoyed maybe one of their songs and it was only for the music video then i watched the video for about 3 times nd got bored of it...
Yes... rap sucks ass.

dustinzgirl said:
Rap sucks. But, not as bad as hip hop. I mean, there is some rap that I like, but not any hip hop that I like.
Huh? There's a difference between the two?

I never cared for rap because it's a very lyrical genre and frankly, I just don't give a shit about lyrics. I don't listen to music to get lectured to.

Most of what I listen to is modern hardcore/grind type shit...but I've mentioned that in plenty of other threads. Not only is it much angrier than anything you'll hear on the radio and really really fast too, but they don't sing. They scream. For some reason, I really hate the sound of singing. I don't mind if it's bad singing, but good vocalists irritate the hell out of me. It sounds like shit.

</rant>

Tenderony
junglizm said:
In my opinion, good hip hip is such artist as Murs, Mf Doom, The Herbalizer, The Kleptones, Nujabes, Dj Shadow, UNKLE, and a lot of instrumental breaks. I doubt most people who critisize rap have even heard of those guys... it just goes to show how bad mainstream music really is.
Junglizm knows his shit.

The stuff you lot class as rap or hip hop and say is wank, most hip hop heads will agree with you.

I listen to UK hip hop mostly. Artists like Skinnyman, Mystro and Underground Alliance to name a few. Us chart bling shite doesn't even get a look in on my playlists.

http://www.lowliferecords.co.uk/

http://www.suspect-packages.com/

What's hip hip btw?

j/k.

William Smith

Uncle Phil is a fat fuck
Mtv, rap and hip hop kicks ass! I watch MTV all day long, you know.

MTV was slow to pick up on rap music, but when it finally did, it produced this lively mix of rap videos, interviews with rap stars, live in studio performances (on Fridays) and comedy. It initially aired once a week, but as the show's popularity grew, it was expanded to six days a week, with Ed Lover, Dr. Dre and T-Money hosting during the week, and Fab Five Freddy hosting on the weekends. After the original hosts left, MTV replaced them with different ones each season.
MTV=my life!! yo.

Zoso

Zappafied
Zickddot said:
William Smith said:
Mtv, rap and hip hop kicks ass! I watch MTV all day long, you know.

MTV=my life!! yo.

first of all, Zickdot, u little kid, please understand that whatever u listen to is probaby an evolution of classic rock. u gotta know ur roots. even bands like Slipknot, Hatebreed, and Puff Daddy (P. Diddy... whatever) list bands such as Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd as their inspirations. yeah, they sound nothing alike, but face it, without classic rock todays stuff would not exist. you dont have to like it but at least have some respect for it. and srry Will, MTV sux balls!!!!

Jung

???
Premium
William Smith said:
Come on maaaaaan, without mtv there wouldnt be music maaaan/yo
Stop being such a gimmick. :thumbsdn:

Heh, I saw this thread and thought it said "Rep and modern crap" ... lol

I really can't stand rap. I don't see how it can be considered music. These days rap has really devolved, as well. It used to involve at least SOME skill, but now it's even worse than it used to be, imo.

BaronsCutie1669

BaronsCutie1669
rap...

Rap, well, it's alright. Some stuff is better than other stuff. Petey Pablo's FREEKALEEK is definetely awesome, but Akon's horny chipmunk song... not so hot. Usher's YEA is flippin amazing, or was when first released, but thanks to being overplayed, it is now hated... GET LOW suffered the same fate as YEA, awesome + overplayed = hated.

What I really hate is the B2K genre of "rap". This shouldn't even be qualified as rap, thanks to the whole boy band era. Ah, B2K, thank goodness they broke up b/c of "artistic differences". Yeah right, they were just fighting about who got which fluffy pillow...

Busta Rhymes... his stuff is alright. Some of it is just bad, but he's had a few alright songs.

P.Diddy, Puff Daddy, Sean Puffy Combs, whatever he's going by now, is just sad. I'm sorry, but real rappers should not have flippin MANSERVANTS! (mr bentley for all you illiterates). Why would a rapper need an official tie fluffer, or someone to hold his umbrella?!? This purplexes me...

50 Cent... alright so Candyshop is fun to dance to, as was In the Club, but what else has he done? NOTHING! Except get shot up... speaking of that, has anyone ever wondered WHY someone decided to shoot him? Maybe, just maybe, they got tired of his incessant urge to rap at the drop of a hat... perhaps.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
BaronsCutie1669 said:
Petey Pablo's FREEKALEEK

Akon's horny chipmunk song

Usher's YEA. GET LOW

B2K

Busta Rhymes...

P.Diddy, Puff Daddy, Sean Puffy Combs
50 Cent...
You are the reason rap is despised. Commercial shit.

Rap is just like rock. There's the stupid crappy music, but if you look, the good music is there. It's a little bit harder to find than rock if you don't know where to look, but it's there.

Jung

???
Premium
BaronsCutie1669 said:
Rap, well, it's alright. Some stuff is better than other stuff. Petey Pablo's FREEKALEEK is definetely awesome... :blahblah:
None of that is good rap, it's all MTV/BET garbage.

Rap is just like rock. There's the stupid crappy music, but if you look, the good music is there. It's a little bit harder to find than rock if you don't know where to look, but it's there.
I hate all modern rap, not old school rap. I have respect for old school, it's just hard to listen to.

By the way
Rap is just like rock
How....can you use....those words....in one sentence....and in that order??