WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

reasons to not hate Bill Gates.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Bill has been funding research into genetically engineering mosquitos that can't sense humans, methods of administering drugs without the use of the syringe, and development of crops that maximise the poor growing conditions in desert regions.
say whatever you want about microsoft but Bill's heart is in the right place..

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Their deadly serious proposals - answers to the Grand Challenges in Global Health that Mr. Gates posed in a 2003 speech in Davos, Switzerland; laboratories around the world, some of them led by Nobel Prize winners, proposing to invent bananas and sorghum that make their own vitamin A; chemicals that render mosquitoes unable to smell humans; drugs that hunt down tuberculosis germs in people who do not even know they are infected; and vaccines that are mixed into spores or plastics or sugars and can be delivered in glasses of orange juice or modified goose calls.

What Mr. Gates had outlined at Davos were the greatest obstacles facing doctors in the tropics: Laboratories are few and far between. Vaccines spoil without refrigeration and require syringes, which can transmit AIDS. Mosquitoes develop resistance to all insecticides. Crops that survive in the jungle or desert often have little nutritive value. Infections outwit powerful drugs by lying dormant.

His offer - originally $200 million, raised to $450 million after 1,600 proposals came in - "was to make sure that innovation wasn't reserved just for big-ticket items like cancer and heart disease," said Dr. Carol A. Dahl, the foundation's director of global health technologies, who ran the conference.
LINK
[/FONT]

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I've never hated Bill, I just feel sorry for him.

Shzar

Hoodrat
Wow, that's pretty wicked. I knew Bill does a lot of donating for research and stuff, but if they find a cure for tuberculosis, that would be sexy. He may still be Satan himself, but at least he's doing some good in the world.:thumbsup:

Jung

???
Premium
JLXC said:
I've never hated Bill, I just feel sorry for him.
Why would you feel sorry for a multi-billionaire?

Outlawed

Postaholic
I feel sorry that he has to wake up next to that... that... THING everah morning, having no sex life whatsoever and not being smart enough to realise that he can buy one.

Have you ever seen that episode of Seinfeld where George abstained from sex and became a genius as a result of it? If Bill Gates does the same thing, then we get to keep him the way he is now, which is actually helpful. Say what you want, but not getting laid has its benefits too you know.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
TheLampIncident said:
Have you ever seen that episode of Seinfeld where George abstained from sex and became a genius as a result of it? If Bill Gates does the same thing, then we get to keep him the way he is now, which is actually helpful. Say what you want, but not getting laid has its benefits too you know.
altruistic genius to 'george' in six posts.. wow.. :happysad:

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
void said:
Bill has been funding research into genetically engineering mosquitos that can't sense humans, methods of administering drugs without the use of the syringe, and development of crops that maximise the poor growing conditions in desert regions.
say whatever you want about microsoft but Bill's heart is in the right place..

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
LINK
[/FONT]
Yeah, I've heard that. But why doesn't he just kill two birds with one stone, and fund the genetic developement, of mosquitos that administer drugs. Duh, it's a no brainer.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
MaxPower said:
Yeah, I've heard that. But why doesn't he just kill two birds with one stone, and fund the genetic developement, of mosquitos that administer drugs. Duh, it's a no brainer.
i actually kind of misread the link before i posted it and thought that i had read that.. it would be awesomely super if mosquitoes injected us with lsd, that is what you meant right? ;)

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
junglizm said:
Because he's so fucking driven. It's never enough, he's always trying to top himself and everyone else. He probably has a shitload of yes men working for him. He has to question every single friendship, because gold diggers must make up almost all the people he knows. All in all he's a lonely driven little man, he never seems content. He could retire and live a life of comfort and ease, spending all the time he wants with friends and family, yet he is always up for the next big thing. I'd hate to be so driven. That's why.

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
junglizm said:
But junglizm, money isnt everything. He might have a billion trilliion whatever dollars, but he canat go and enjoy the simple pleasures of life. He cant go see a newly released movie in a theatre in public. He cant go for a walk in the city area or for that matter, anywhere exposed. God only knows if people like him for the person he is or forr the money he has. Money is required for happiness, but not a lot. As long as you have a decent living, a person can be happy. Infact the more money you have, the more afraid of losing it you are(did that sound a bit yoda-ish?) Soon people get obsessed with making more money after the come ito a nice amount of it.

I would rather be middle class man who can afford a comfortable living than be a person who cant do anything without the fear of being killed or losing his money.

EDIT: I see jlxc has written almost exactly what i have

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
middle class?

my wife hates it when i say this but i believe there is no middle class. if you work, then you are working class, even if you are a lawyer, doctor or astronaut. you work.
if you are so rich that you just read magazines all day then you are upper class, and deserve to be put against a wall and shot.
we are all working class except paris hilton.
even donald trump and bill gates are working today.. work is what keeps you sane.

Jung

???
Premium
JLXC said:
Because he's so fucking driven. It's never enough, he's always trying to top himself and everyone else.
I don't see how that's a bad thing, it's what makes successful people what they are. This guy actually did something with himself; innovated, created markets, built a business empire and was good at it... better than most others who have tried to date. He did this while most of his friends were probably getting high, working dead end jobs and doing nothing.

Obviously he's passionate about what he does, but what you speculate is a negative obsession could very well be the thing he enjoys most in life. Who cares if he doesn't live up to your idea of a good and happy life, obviously the man enjoys what he does.

Every advancement made in history has been due to someone like Gates. That's something I can respect.
All in all he's a lonely driven little man, he never seems content.
I'm sorry, but I just don't see how your guesses have anything to do with whether or not the man is really happy. I don’t think he needs anyone to pity him, he has free will and can do whatever he chooses; obviously he’s not continuing to run Microsoft because he can’t afford to put Jr. through college. It’s only logical to assume that he enjoys what he does.
He could retire and live a life of comfort and ease, spending all the time he wants with friends and family, yet he is always up for the next big thing.
Ever considered the possibility that he actually enjoys his life? Some people are perfectly content to be driven; it's what makes them happy.

As much as I would like to say I feel sorry for those who are content to settle for mediocrity, I won’t. If that’s what makes them happy, then hey, more power to them. I can respect that, and I’m certainly not going to act like my lifestyle is better, or somehow 'happier,' nor will I pity them for their choices.

mmm...cheese

Banned - What an Asshat!
skullmaster said:
But junglizm, money isnt everything. He might have a billion trilliion whatever dollars, but he canat go and enjoy the simple pleasures of life. He cant go see a newly released movie in a theatre in public. He cant go for a walk in the city area or for that matter, anywhere exposed. God only knows if people like him for the person he is or forr the money he has. Money is required for happiness, but not a lot. As long as you have a decent living, a person can be happy. Infact the more money you have, the more afraid of losing it you are(did that sound a bit yoda-ish?) Soon people get obsessed with making more money after the come ito a nice amount of it.

I would rather be middle class man who can afford a comfortable living than be a person who cant do anything without the fear of being killed or losing his money.

EDIT: I see jlxc has written almost exactly what i have
Which is why you get plastic surgery....

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
void said:
it would be awesomely super if mosquitoes injected us with lsd, that is what you meant right? ;)
That's such a bad idea; you're driving along, you get bitten, half an hour later you think you're in chitty chitty bang bang, and heading for the air port...

Though interesting thought nether the less. :lol:

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
junglizm said:
As much as I would like to say I feel sorry for those who are content to settle for mediocrity, I won’t. If that’s what makes them happy, then hey, more power to them. I can respect that, and I’m certainly not going to act like my lifestyle is better, or somehow 'happier,' nor will I pity them for their choices.

Mediocrity is different than middle class if thats what you are hinting at.
I really hate mediocrity. The one reasone i refuse to go to college and work in india is because of the mediocrity.

However being middle class doesnt mean mediocrity. You dont have to be rich to excell in your field.

Jung

???
Premium
skullmaster said:
Mediocrity is different than middle class...
Nothing in my post was about middle class or money. I was talking about people who accept the status quo in life and just sit around doing nothing, never improving or moving forward. Although, since you brought economic classes up, I guess working class would be mediocrity.

void said:
my wife hates it when i say this but i believe there is no middle class. if you work, then you are working class, even if you are a lawyer, doctor or astronaut. you work.
Yeah, but you have to admit there's different levels of respect society places on people depending on your collar color. Money aside, it's the fact that some people decide to learn a trade instead of going to college that for some reason makes them get looked down as a whole...

Not that I do this or anything. If anything, I'll end up one of the blue collar guys, tried and true.