WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Religion

What is your religion?

• Total voters

Jung

???
Premium
Religion gives some people a feeling of power and control, it gives others a feeling of well being and happiness. Either way you look at it, religion is a crutch for people who feel they need more in their life, or just need something to tell them everything will be ok.

Religion basically has the same points as cults and the occult.

bnccoder

Postaholic
junglizm said:
Religion gives some people a feeling of power and control, it gives others a feeling of well being and happiness. Either way you look at it, religion is a crutch for people who feel they need more in their life, or just need something to tell them everything will be ok.

Religion basically has the same points as cults and the occult.
Well said.

Religion was some "genious's" attempt to explain all the fucked up shit that goes on in this world. Like, really... what other way is there to explain dead babies? wars? Well, "It's God's divine plan" of course... - religion is a crutch - stops people from accepting the truth that life fucking sucks - and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Religion is a guilt trip.

"You've done something bad. Now go suck up to a higher power and he'll forgive you."

Is da truth.

Slacker

Postaholic
to some people religon is a way of life to others its what ties them down.
Such as mormons they cant use condoms because it is againsts their religon.

Buddhism is a way of nature they believe that nature will help them lead through life and it helps teach self disaplan.

I think religon helps people feel secure about were they are going after they die and make them think that they are going to a better place. :thumbsup:

Since you don't have agnostics, I now believe only in the matrix.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Religion is not only a way of explaining the unexplainable, but it is a group. People like to belong to groups, it gives them someone to be for, or against. It is like a social club gone horribly horribly wrong.

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
craziboi_07 said:
Honeslty what is the point of religion, honestly tell me
^ this has been covered in the issues my friend!! look deep within WTF and you will find it, or use the search!

rcarhar

There goes a clever gent
WILD said:
Since you don't have agnostics, I now believe only in the matrix.
I was agnostic for the longest time. (baptised, raised, confirmed christian right here) Lots of people don't know what it means to be agnostic, but when you tell them, they're like, oh, that's sort of what I am...
(it's like not being able to decide and/or accepting the fact that you can't prove or disprove the existance of a god or true religion.)
Now I don't care. I don't believe in any religion and certainly refuse to follow one, and don't believe a word of the bible, although I see good techings of morality. There are a few things that make me think, though. Without a religious reason, why are we in the year 2005? What triggered the counting of years at such a point in time?

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
dull_bullet said:
I'm a muslim, but i'm starting to really lean towards atheism...
Time for an intervention!

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
Unforgiven said:
Religion is a guilt trip.

"You've done something bad. Now go suck up to a higher power and he'll forgive you."

Is da truth.
Here's where the Christian kid steps in and strongly disagrees.

Religion, to some, is a crutch. Mainly, I believe in Jesus Christ because of personal experiences in my life that just can't be explained by anything else. Now, I don't want to sound haughty, but I'm a pretty smart guy. I've tried to come from every angle to disprove religion myself. What it comes down to is that you can't. You can just assume it's a make believe story, but you can't prove that. Now, I can't PROVE religion either, but I have evidence (the Bible) to support what is happening and what will inevitably occur in due time.

To comment on the quoted response:
Dude, you and so many others think the same way...but you don't understand. Religion isn't about making yourself seem almighty and high...in fact it's quite the opposite. The main purpose as Christians is to humble ourselves before others and God to show love, not compete in some grand "competition".

Religion is pretty boring, really. Faith is what I live for, and what I find my purpose in. I can't show you blatent undeniable evidence of my beliefs, but I can support them alot more and challenge the atheist views very simply.

The reason atheism is wrong:
Something does not come from nothing. Physics very simply states this (Newtonic teaching). How did the universe "come in and out of existence" if there was nothing to start with? Random particles of space? Where did those come from? Ultimately, there was something outside our realm that put them in motion. The perfection and advanced evolution of our life is just too hard to explain by pure chance.

Frankly you guys are being pretty biased about religion in general. You have to understand why people find reason in what they believe. Not every "religious" (I hate using that word to describe a person) individual is just some idiot with a mask on hoping that light they see is all they could imagine instead of a truck about to hit them. You just have to experience the love of God and his presence to understand it. Mock that if you will, but it's a very common following.

PS: Christians don't condemn. God judges people after they've lived a life...no human being can condemn another; that's not in our power...lol

edit: agnosticism makes sense in some terms, but it simply goes against the premesis OF religion: "Follow one teaching, one god, one path". it's basically like betting on black and red in roulette, you can't win.

Slacker

Postaholic
Like What LiberatioN said religon is boring but faith is what keeps people alive :thumbsup:

I honestly didn't read some peop,es responses, due to length, so i hope i don't repeat it.
to me religion is: one mans view, it was written in some preists view on man itself. if god was the almighty and all forgiving, then he wouldn't condem all to hell. i've studied many different versions of the bible, and many hav noahs ark and virgin mary, so whos right? i figure as long as you believe,then your a step ahead of most. have any of you seen doggma? good show on religion. many awesome points brought up on it! just believe! god didn't want anyone paying form him in a church! as long as you believe, thats all. have a belief.
P.S- i'm drinking so i hope it makes sense!

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
The drinking girl is right.

Christianity is basically just believing one simple thing: That Jesus Christ died for every person's sins and he is the only way to Heaven.

People think that good deeds are attached.

Ephesians 2:8-9
"For by grace you have been saved through faith. Yet that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works; lest no man should boast."

Basically, works don't make the man. God judges the heart.

Slacker

Postaholic
gods kindom is in your heart not the wood, churches or buildings. :thumbsup:

LiberatioN said:
The drinking girl is right.

Christianity is basically just believing one simple thing: That Jesus Christ died for every person's sins and he is the only way to Heaven.

People think that good deeds are attached.

Ephesians 2:8-9
"For by grace you have been saved through faith. Yet that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works; lest no man should boast."

Basically, works don't make the man. God judges the heart.
And also:

James 2:17
"So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead."