WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Religions are cults

I Hate The FCC

Homo est Deus
It's true. If you think about it religions promise you go to heaven or whatever else you earn in the afterlife in other religions. In cults like Heaven's Gate they got to go on a comet and go to a planet if you followed their rules. People will also say they have faith in their religion, Heaven's Gate's, Solar Temple's and Jonestown's followers also had faith. How do you know if YOUR religion isn't a cult? People will also say "I've had miracles I know." It's called coincedence. If you commit "sins" you won't go to hell because there is no Heaven or Hell.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
I agree that ORGANIZED religion is mighty cult-ish. But I think that people who decide to follow a certain moral code ought to get more respect than they do...I dont have the moral fortitude to adhere to a strict religious lifestyle, but I think alot of it is to be admired. And as far as the heaven and hell thing....There are people, millions of times smarter than you or I that could debate that for years and not come to a conclusion. I'm in no mood to get into a deep metaphysical conversation with a random internet personality, but go read some St. Augustine and some opposing views on the existance of a supreme being. Its been discussed for THOUSANDS of years, who are you to throw ages of debate out the window because your favorite spice girl says there is no hell. :thumbsdn:

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
I asked the Pope his thoughts on this subject and he says it's not my place to tell you what to believe, and that no one will really know until we kick off. :thumbsdn: That's some crappy way of finding out. I think of religeon as an insurance policy. If I believe it now and it's not real, that fact won't bother me cause I'll be dead and just disappear. But if in fact it is real and I don't believe, finding out will be some kick in the ass.

VenomHowell

Cynical Piece of Shit
I'm an atheist, but I'm thinking fo giving Christianity another chance... But worshipping in my own way, not organized in church every Sunday. Part of this is because I want to be a part of every aspect of my love's life, even the divine, and at least give it another chance for him... And the other is the whole 'insurance policy' mentality explained before.

You lose nothing by believing in God and Jesus, if at the end of it all there is none. However, if you refuse to believe, and there ends up being something at the end of the road... Well, you lose everything.

To quote a Megadeth song, Dread and a Fugitive Mind-
"What if I do get caught,
What if there is no judgement?
If I'm right then I lose nothing,
If you're right I lose it all."

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
bigck3000 said:
I agree that ORGANIZED religion is mighty cult-ish. But I think that people who decide to follow a certain moral code ought to get more respect than they do...I dont have the moral fortitude to adhere to a strict religious lifestyle, but I think alot of it is to be admired. And as far as the heaven and hell thing....There are people, millions of times smarter than you or I that could debate that for years and not come to a conclusion. I'm in no mood to get into a deep metaphysical conversation with a random internet personality, but go read some St. Augustine and some opposing views on the existance of a supreme being. Its been discussed for THOUSANDS of years, who are you to throw ages of debate out the window because your favorite spice girl says there is no hell. :thumbsdn:
I agree 100%.

Is hell exothermal (gives off heat) or endothermal (takes in heat)?

VenomHowell

Cynical Piece of Shit
Hell is actually a term to living forever without the presence of God, therefor 'living' a meaningless afterlife...

That's what hell was originally meant to represent. Certain religions have manipulated and created their own view of hell being a fiery pit with goat-men and pokey thingies.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
my point being, the existance of heaven or hell cant be proven or disproven.

bigck3000 said:
my point being, the existance of heaven or hell cant be proven or disproven.
your point is clear...

as was said already, we won't know till we die... and then, it may be too late :)

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
one mans hell is another mans heaven....

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
Unforgiven said:
Is hell exothermal (gives off heat) or endothermal (takes in heat)?
According to Dante, the closer you get to Lucifer, the colder hell becomes. He can be found, with Judas and two other sinners, frozen, half submurged in a frozen river.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
The existence of Hell and Heaven implies we have a soul. Also, where would Hell and Heaven be? In another "dimension"? There's no way to prove it or disprove it.. But I don't believe in that.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Venom said:
I'm an atheist, but I'm thinking fo giving Christianity another chance... But worshipping in my own way, not organized in church every Sunday. Part of this is because I want to be a part of every aspect of my love's life, even the divine, and at least give it another chance for him... And the other is the whole 'insurance policy' mentality explained before.
Are you talking about "God?" Or do you have a boyfriend?

I'm not flaming you...I'm just curious...

</rant>

Tenderony
VenomHowell said:
Hell is actually a term to living forever without the presence of God
Sounds like heaven to me. None of these idiots forcing religion down your neck, a hell of a lot less wars, no RE in school. Mind you RE was like a free period.

</rant>