WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Religious Fanatics in Iran ban Western music

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
2,429
0
0
#1
What do fundamentalist Christians in America and ultraconservative Islamic extremists have in common? A shitload of things, like preference for theocracy as the form of government, pissing off the rest of the world and lack of respect for the mass population.
Many of us are familiar with the Christian coallition's persecution of Marilyn Manson, Ozzy Osborne, the 2LiveCrew and other great musicians. It seems their Islamic counterparts will not be outdone: they've officially banned
Western and unIslamic music from Iran. He's CNN's story:
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) -- Hard-line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has banned Western music from Iran's radio and TV stations, reviving one of the harshest cultural decrees from the early days of the 1979 Islamic Revolution.
Songs such as George Michael's "Careless Whisper," Eric Clapton's "Rush" and the Eagles' "Hotel California" have regularly accompanied Iranian broadcasts, as do tunes by saxophonist Kenny G.
But the official IRAN Persian daily reported Monday that Ahmadinejad, as head of Iran's Supreme Cultural Revolutionary Council, ordered the enactment of an October ruling by the council to ban Western music.
"Blocking indecent and Western music from the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting is required," according to a statement on the council's official Web site.
Ahmadinejad's order means broadcasters must execute the decree and prepare a report on its implementation within six months, according to the newspaper.
"This is terrible," said Iranian guitarist Babak Riahipour, whose music was played occasionally on state radio and TV. "The decision shows a lack of knowledge and experience."
Music was outlawed as un-Islamic by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini soon after the revolution. But as the fervor of the revolution started to fade, light classical music was allowed on radio and television. Some public concerts reappeared in the late 1980s.
Western music, films and clothing are widely available in Iran, and hip-hop can be heard on Tehran's streets, blaring from car speakers or from music shops. Bootleg videos and DVDs of films banned by the state are widely available on the black market.
After eight years of reformist-led rule in Iran, Ahmadinejad won office in August on a platform of reverting to ultraconservative principles promoted by the revolution.
Since then, Ahmadinejad has jettisoned Iran's moderation in foreign policy and pursued a purge in the government, replacing pragmatic veterans with former military commanders and inexperienced religious hard-liners.
He also has issued stinging criticisms of Israel, called for the Jewish state to be "wiped off the map" and described the Nazi Holocaust as a "myth." International concerns are high over Iran's nuclear program, with the United States accusing Tehran of pursuing an atomic weapons program. Iran denies the claims.
During his presidential campaign, Ahmadinejad also promised to confront what he called the Western cultural invasion and promote Islamic values.
The latest media ban also includes censorship of content of films.
"Supervision of content from films, TV series and their voice-overs is emphasized in order to support spiritual cinema and to eliminate triteness and violence," the council said in a statement on its Web site explaining its October ruling.
The council has also issued a ban on foreign movies that promote "arrogant powers," an apparent reference to the United States.
I can understand banning KennyG or George Micheals, they are certainly an affront to all music which does not suck. But the Eagles?!?!? WTF?!? There is no reason for the Persian people to be denied the ass-kickin' glory of Tool or AudioSlave. I hope Ahmadinejad changes his mind about this, or he will be no better than scum like Pat Robertson.
 

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
4,126
0
0
#2
they did this before..

Most forms of Western music were banned following Iran's 1979 Islamic revolution, though restrictions have eased since reformist President Mohammad Khatami was elected in 1997.
LINK

i guess 8 years of britney etc was enough..
 

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
4,261
4
0
#3
I'd ban Audioslave if given the opportunity. :D ;)

In seriousness though, Eric Clapton? How could you ban Eric Clapton? Hotel California??? Come on now, Iran. You keep this up and we'll be forced to ban the kaleh haal songs of your housewives.
 
4,248
0
0
#4
I wish America would ban Western music. Every time I hear the radio at work, I have the sudden urge to pick up the nearest sharp object and stab someone in the head.
 

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
7,550
264
302
#5
Well that's one way to stop country music from blaring out of radios and scaring the shit out of people.
 

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
4,126
0
0
#6
they banned just western music, not country AND western music.. :D
 

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
7,550
264
302
#7
One upped by the man! Rep'd
 

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
2,429
0
0
#8
We should take all of the religious fanatics in the US: Pat Robertson, his 700 Clowns, the annoying door-to-door missionaries, the bastards from Repent.com, the American Family Association and the rest of the witch doctors and chalatans, put all of the fuckers on a boat and deport them to Iran. There, they could live together with their fellow religious fanatics and enjoy protection from freedom, pornography, alcohol and sinfull music.
 

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
26,094
178
0
#9
Woodreaux said:
We should take all of the religious fanatics in the US: Pat Robertson, his 700 Clowns, the annoying door-to-door missionaries, the bastards from Repent.com, the American Family Association and the rest of the witch doctors and chalatans, put all of the fuckers on a boat and deport them to Iran. There, they could live together with their fellow religious fanatics and enjoy protection from freedom, pornography, alcohol and sinfull music.
I agree. I dont understand why people argue over religion. How do any of us know who is right or wrong? I respect Jewish as much as Christian as much as Islamic, it doesnt mean I agree with them, but I respect them.
 

Jack

Personable
4,571
88
98
#10
Many of us are familiar with the Christian coallition's persecution of Marilyn Manson, Ozzy Osborne, the 2LiveCrew and other great musicians.

All those guys fuckin' suck.

The rest of the article is gold however.
 
#11
I think the Iranian government is afraid that someone might get a clue that they don't have to live under oppresion. Free thought to them is much like a disease that spreads from one person to another and it makes retaining power more difficult.

I remember hearing Christians complain once about a child molester who wrote abook on the subject..they discussed how sick the book was and some of them decided to go and buy the book to learn what to look out for. Some of them called for censorship of the insanity..How about not buy the book and not let the guy make a profit? Unfortunately the sicko can publish trash like that; the profit comes from sales..easy way to sink his book..don't buy it or waste the time to wipe your ass with it. Maybe that was a bit off topic, but relative in a way.
 

Jack

Personable
4,571
88
98
#12
We'll be pretty lucky if all they do is ban Western music. Most of it should be banned anyway.
 

vIoLeNcE0969

Sir.vIoLeNcE
329
0
0
#13
its pretty much there loss. hell if they dont want are music, fuck them.
does any one even listen to there music, i know i dont.
 

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
7,540
506
257
#14
Even if they didn't ban it, do you honestly think anyone in Iran would listen to that crap anyway?
 
#15
Woodreaux said:
What do fundamentalist Christians in America and ultraconservative Islamic extremists have in common? A shitload of things, like preference for theocracy as the form of government, pissing off the rest of the world and lack of respect for the mass population.
Many of us are familiar with the Christian coallition's persecution of Marilyn Manson, Ozzy Osborne, the 2LiveCrew and other great musicians. It seems their Islamic counterparts will not be outdone: they've officially banned
Western and unIslamic music from Iran. He's CNN's story:
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) -- Hard-line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has banned Western music from Iran's radio and TV stations, reviving one of the harshest cultural decrees from the early days of the 1979 Islamic Revolution.
Songs such as George Michael's "Careless Whisper," Eric Clapton's "Rush" and the Eagles' "Hotel California" have regularly accompanied Iranian broadcasts, as do tunes by saxophonist Kenny G.
But the official IRAN Persian daily reported Monday that Ahmadinejad, as head of Iran's Supreme Cultural Revolutionary Council, ordered the enactment of an October ruling by the council to ban Western music.
"Blocking indecent and Western music from the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting is required," according to a statement on the council's official Web site.
Ahmadinejad's order means broadcasters must execute the decree and prepare a report on its implementation within six months, according to the newspaper.
"This is terrible," said Iranian guitarist Babak Riahipour, whose music was played occasionally on state radio and TV. "The decision shows a lack of knowledge and experience."
Music was outlawed as un-Islamic by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini soon after the revolution. But as the fervor of the revolution started to fade, light classical music was allowed on radio and television. Some public concerts reappeared in the late 1980s.
Western music, films and clothing are widely available in Iran, and hip-hop can be heard on Tehran's streets, blaring from car speakers or from music shops. Bootleg videos and DVDs of films banned by the state are widely available on the black market.
After eight years of reformist-led rule in Iran, Ahmadinejad won office in August on a platform of reverting to ultraconservative principles promoted by the revolution.
Since then, Ahmadinejad has jettisoned Iran's moderation in foreign policy and pursued a purge in the government, replacing pragmatic veterans with former military commanders and inexperienced religious hard-liners.
He also has issued stinging criticisms of Israel, called for the Jewish state to be "wiped off the map" and described the Nazi Holocaust as a "myth." International concerns are high over Iran's nuclear program, with the United States accusing Tehran of pursuing an atomic weapons program. Iran denies the claims.
During his presidential campaign, Ahmadinejad also promised to confront what he called the Western cultural invasion and promote Islamic values.
The latest media ban also includes censorship of content of films.
"Supervision of content from films, TV series and their voice-overs is emphasized in order to support spiritual cinema and to eliminate triteness and violence," the council said in a statement on its Web site explaining its October ruling.
The council has also issued a ban on foreign movies that promote "arrogant powers," an apparent reference to the United States.
I can understand banning KennyG or George Micheals, they are certainly an affront to all music which does not suck. But the Eagles?!?!? WTF?!? There is no reason for the Persian people to be denied the ass-kickin' glory of Tool or AudioSlave. I hope Ahmadinejad changes his mind about this, or he will be no better than scum like Pat Robertson.
Not too bad. Marilyn Manson sucks anyway.
 
#16
dude, im a christian, and i dont give a shit about most things. why do some ppl actually care whats going on in the rest of the world, unless theres something happening like another world war. why do ppl care? why?
 

Siryus

Internet=Siryus business.
745
0
76
#17
dickey357 said:
dude, im a christian, and i dont give a shit about most things. why do some ppl actually care whats going on in the rest of the world, unless theres something happening like another world war. why do ppl care? why?
Beacuse the're Intelligent, unlike you.
 

Jiraffe

Domesticated Savage
3,388
2
202
#18
Siryus said:
Beacuse the're intellegent, unlike you.
Uh. No you didn't just do that. You didn't just say something I have to rep up you for.

What is the world coming to.:confused:

And Pat Robertson's love monkeys I beg you not to tell me it's coming to an end. We already know that.:rolleyes:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Siryus again.
Maybe later.