WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Religious Garbage

LoserGuy

Dejected Hopeful
I'm Sick of Religion influencing people. Religion doesn't tell us right from wrong, we're born with that knowledge. I am an Atheist, and my veiw has always been that religion undermines the concept of divinity. It's fine to beleive in god, but I mean, all indoctrinating religion does is give "god" an opinion. If god does exist, his opinion on everything must be that it should exist, otherwise it WOULDN'T. All religious opinions are those of it's interpreters. And I'm fucking sick of admiting that i'm an atheist and people go "Oh, i'm sorry..." like i said i had my leg cut off. RELIGION IS NOT IMPORTANT. My behavior is perfectly acceptable, and i have been an atheist since i was able to think independantly. All it does is make people think that someone prefers them to other people. And i hate it.

As a former Atheist I understand how you feel. I made the mistake of announcing I was Atheist to a bunch of hardcore Southern Baptists. Yikes! They all jumped down my throat. Now, I've found God, but I'm not religious per se. What's really sad is that sometimes I feel like I'm a better Christian than the majority because I go simply on faith. Of course, I don't really believe I'm better than anyone, but that's how other "Christains" make me feel with the way they act.
Anyway, I forgot what I was getting at, so there you have it. I sympathize, I really do.

I'd like to believe but I tend towards the agnostic persuasion. It's impossible to prove either way and I think to be an atheist is to make the same fallacy that religious types do.

Jung

???
Premium
sideshow_bob said:
It's impossible to prove either way
At least science does a better job of explaining it. I have a lot more respect for a theory based on factual information and deduction, than some age old book that's been transcribed and translated who knows how many times.
I think to be an atheist is to make the same fallacy that religious types do.
I disagree; logically speaking, religion does very little to prove gods existence, but science goes a long ways to explain ours. A logically thinking person would obvious side with a logic explanation, which is what science offers us. I don't feel foolish in my assertions until I can see some sort of proof, that's only logical. Theory of evolution just makes sense, and it's infinitely more respectable than "believe because it's in this book, ok, I promise it's true even though I can't actually know for sure."

I put my faith in evidence, not the word of the next guy. If that makes me foolish, then I'm happy to be so.

Finding it a bit difficult to remain tolerant enough to allow 'everyone else' their beliefs, are you?
I sympathize with the dislike for organized religion, but it's hardly a philosophical discussion in this day and age.
We still don't really *know* what knowledge we possess a priori, and unfortunately (or fortunately) there haven't been any documented social deprivation experiments for children so that we can understand what special universal knowledge they are and aren't born with.
The majority of our ethical and moral system is learned, that has been proven. I also believe that we do possess certain knowledge from birth, but how can we possess the analytical skills that allow us to navigate more complex right/wrong issues? Those have to be learned.
Your attempt to discount religion by using a logical argument is very much begging the question. Something akin to a Baptist saying that God must exist because the Bible says He does. Religion is faith-based....it exists outside of logical boundaries.
Sounds like you're either sick of explaining yourself - not sure why you feel you have to justify your beliefs - or unable to defend your belief system - not sure why you feel the need to justify your beliefs.
It's always going to be a sensitive issue with some...after all, you're challenging their belief system.

LoserGuy said:
I'm Sick of Religion influencing people.
In a way, it's very much influencing you...or so it seems.
LoserGuy said:
If god does exist, his opinion on everything must be that it should exist, otherwise it WOULDN'T.
Not sure what point you're trying to make here. If you're trying to undermine God as a concept by using the "gentle, caring God" argument against him, it won't work, it's old hat. It's entirely possible that God indeed has an opinion, and that his opinion is that everything that exists should, in fact, exist. It is also possible that if he didn't think it should then he would cause it to not exist...but who can prove that? By the same token, who can disprove it? So, you're either trying to say God is not as gentle as the Bible says he is or that he's not as powerful as the Bible says he is. Either way...I thought your problem was with religious types, not God, per se.
LoserGuy said:
All religious opinions are those of it's interpreters
All philosophical opinions are those of their authors.

LoserGuy said:
And I'm fucking sick of admiting thatt i'm an atheist...
I find it interesting that you choose to use the word "admitting"....just an observation.

Sektor

Particinator
I'm with tiger on this, only I came from the opposite side; I was once a Christian... because it was how I was raised, I once believed most of the shit that was force-fed to me on a plate of bullshit.

That is, until the motherfuckers stabbed me in the back two years ago and nearly fucking left me without anyone to take care of me. I find it hard to resist going and finding those people and kicking their asses one by one.

I still believe in God, and I still believe in SOME of the things that religion has to offer. But no longer do I believe in any church or denomination; instead, I just look into everything myself and weed out the bullshit. It's better than having some lying ass, deceitful, son-of-a-bitch church tell you what the right way is, and then go against their own words. Hypocrites.

Religion doesn't tell us right from wrong, we're born with that knowledge.
I have to disagree with you there. We as humans are not born with the knowledge of right from wrong. However, religion does not tell us right from wrong either; we learn it from experience. For example, a baby doesn't know that if it touches a hot stove that it will get burned. Either someone has to tell it, or the baby will touch the stove and find out the hard way. Don't know if that was a good example or not, but I guess it'll do here.

EDIT: (The above post has a better example.)

yeah

i'm a see it and i believe it type a person. I've never believed in any of this god bullshit since i was6. when they have proof maybe i'll believe,but untill then.Rite on
LoserGuy said:
I'm Sick of Religion influencing people. Religion doesn't tell us right from wrong, we're born with that knowledge. I am an Atheist, and my veiw has always been that religion undermines the concept of divinity. It's fine to beleive in god, but I mean, all indoctrinating religion does is give "god" an opinion. If god does exist, his opinion on everything must be that it should exist, otherwise it WOULDN'T. All religious opinions are those of it's interpreters. And I'm fucking sick of admiting that i'm an atheist and people go "Oh, i'm sorry..." like i said i had my leg cut off. RELIGION IS NOT IMPORTANT. My behavior is perfectly acceptable, and i have been an atheist since i was able to think independantly. All it does is make people think that someone prefers them to other people. And i hate it.

Sektor said:
That is, until the motherfuckers stabbed me in the back two years ago and nearly fucking left me without anyone to take care of me. I find it hard to resist going and finding those people and kicking their asses one by one.

I still believe in God, and I still believe in SOME of the things that religion has to offer. But no longer do I believe in any church or denomination; instead, I just look into everything myself and weed out the bullshit. It's better than having some lying ass, deceitful, son-of-a-bitch church tell you what the right way is, and then go against their own words. Hypocrites.
I think what you're trying to get at is: LESS RELIGION, MORE GOD.
Saw that on a bumper sticker once...I liked it.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
If religion was purely spiritual, it would be fine. But that doesn't exist.

Religion is all about money, power, control, sexuality, politics, putting up fancy buildings, and every other dam thing, but very little to do with a meaningful relationship with God.

That is why it's garbage...

voiceofreason said:
If religion was purely spiritual, it would be fine. But that doesn't exist.

Religion is all about money, power, control, sexuality, politics, putting up fancy buildings, and every other dam thing, but very little to do with a meaningful relationship with God.

That is why it's garbage...
Any chance that your critisism is directed more at Christianity than all religion?
I mean, that's mostly what my beef is with. I think it's a bit unfair to lump even the world's decent religions in with your above statement. I'm all for picking on Christianity, but you'll need something more substantial to attack a religion like Buddhism or Taoism.

LoserGuy

Dejected Hopeful
FlipTheState said:
unfortunately (or fortunately) there haven't been any documented social deprivation experiments for children so that we can understand what special universal knowledge they are and aren't born with.
Actually, i heard of one in which a girls parents gave her food under the door in a room with nothing in it, and no windows. It gave a relatively clear interpretation of how a human brain would function without social interaction, but you forget that having NO social interaction closes self-relization. For example, they showed her a candle and she repeatedly touched it, burnt herself, and touched it again. So SOME level of social interaction must be given, if only for the sake of self-realization.
And i'm an atheist because the only reasons for living i see are given by nature, which by its cold, unforgiving nature, is entirely inverse of the "caring god" syndrome. Things exist, as far as any evidence shows, for the sake that they CAN. But I don't mind if you use god as an explanation- even if i disagree, because it's you, not me.
Agree to disagree. I guess.

Jung

???
Premium
LoserGuy said:
Actually, i heard of one in which a girls parents gave her food under the door in a room with nothing in it, and no windows. It gave a relatively clear interpretation of how a human brain would function without social interaction, but you forget that having NO social interaction closes self-relization. For example, they showed her a candle and she repeatedly touched it, burnt herself, and touched it again. So SOME level of social interaction must be given, if only for the sake of self-realization.
Posting something like that means nothing without a link or some sort of other proof. I'm not doubting you, but you shouldn't expect us to take you word for things like that, well, because as outlined by yourself previously, proof is best.
And i'm an atheist because the only reasons for living i see are given by nature, which by its cold, unforgiving nature, is entirely inverse of the "caring god" syndrome.
Except for the fact that even Christianity teaches that although god is caring, he doesn't step in and alter things, he lets the world, and us, progress as we naturally would. So that point is obviously moot. Not to attack your reasoning, but it does seem silly and illogical in context.

LoserGuy said:
Hence the theory behind learned cognition of right/wrong good/bad. If you want to follow this line of thought, you're going to have to come up with more than that!

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
FlipTheState said:
Any chance that your critisism is directed more at Christianity than all religion?
I mean, that's mostly what my beef is with. I think it's a bit unfair to lump even the world's decent religions in with your above statement. I'm all for picking on Christianity, but you'll need something more substantial to attack a religion like Buddhism or Taoism.
Yes, the Christians, but also Islam, and Hinduism.

squeeze_me

Fuck me in the gotaz.
i belive in a religion but fuck i dont go church very often (maybe once a year) for easter or something like that man religion is nothing its just something that gets you into fights with muslims and other religions (EG. LEBO GUY TRYED TO BASH ME COZ IM AN ORTHODOX) but its not like i care for my religion. arhh fuk it i wanna be an antheist :mfinger:

Bitch

Evil Fluffy says: I PEE IN YOUR SHOES!
Premium
I don't like the idea of organized religion. I'd even go as far as saying that it's just a legalize cult. It's great that some churches do not teach segregation to the other religions but then why would they call themselves a specific religion like lutheran or catholic? If I had to go to church, however, lessons like accepting other religions and beliefs are important to me. I don't go to church though because those are hard to find and I had a hard time dealing with being a part of an organized religion.

I also don't believe the bible. Some lessons are good in there, I'll agree to that, but it is only human interpretation and that leaves room for fault. I don't like being told that these are the words of God when it was actually written by human interpretation of what they believe God wanted us to learn. i'm not saying there isn't a God, I'm more of a spiritual agnostic. I believe for my own interpretation that God intended for us to truly love thy neighbor. I believe that we were not meant to segregate. We were not meant to form individual groups and create rules telling us who more important and who God loves more. If God exists, he exists as a whole individual. He has a story but that story has been told and changed around like the game of operator. SOme believe he or Jesus is the saviour, some believed he died for our sins, some believe he never woke up, some believe he hates all Americans and will hand out a bunch of virgins if you kill an American. (yes Allah is supposedly the same God). I'm not 100% sure what all the religions out there mean or imply but I think you get the idea. Different countries have different Gods, yet we are told to believe there is only one God.

We were told by our families (not all but a few of us) not to marry another faith. For example a christian can't marry someone from the Jewish faith because of the differences in the beliefs. HELLO CHRISTIANS!!! You are praying to a Jewish God! That's hypocritical to say don't marry into the Jewish faith.

The other part of my skepticism is that where in the bible does it say to build a fancy building so God will listen? Meanwhile he's supposed to be with us at all times and always be listenning. Why do you need to go to a building to pray? If you want to talk to him, you can do it anywhere you like! It's like in the movie Stigmata. Where the church was trying to keep the truth about God and his actual words away from the public because it would mean loosing money for the organized religions and their church buildings. God's words was saying he's everywhere. he's not in a church or in any specific place. He's with you always. I'd prefer to believe that than some church going religious group.

You know...I wandered into a Unitarian church a few times and actually enjoyed it. They're christian-based, but appeal to the intellect and leave it up to each person to figure out they're own path. It's actually a very cool concept. Not that it's new or anything, just new to me.
EDIT:
Most of my problem is that with many people it seems as though the concept of the "Church" becomes more important that one's relationship with God. Often it seems as though loyalty and devotion to the group or organization is equated with loyalty and devotion to God. It's more personal than that...and I think that is what turns many people off.

metroid74

Fresh Meat
Religion in a Nutshell

OK here it is...

"God(s)" was created from fear of the unknown... Thousands of years ago cave men would hear strange nosies or lights from the sky or ground and had no explination for it, So they would come up with God(s) to expalin it away. This is why in most primitive cultures you have many gods. As man became more intellegent he has been able to logically or scientifically explain these Gods.. I.E. Vulcan is a Volcano...

So there is the basis for religon, now religion itself... As people put stock in these gods that inhabit relativly common things like Volcanos or Oceans or the sky. They started to believe random people who claim to have seen or met or even speak with these gods... and tell those who choose to listen what will make god happy and what will make god mad... Things that make god happy are considered to be good or right Things that make god mad are considered bad or evil... and who is telling us all this a man, who claims to have spoken with or met god. So as these and other men become more powerful they create Religion as an institution to control the masses. An individual religion may not have started out like this.. Like take Catholics for instance... They were let by a seeming moral man who died for our sins...
flash forward 1000 years or so.. and you get the truely evil institution of the catholic church, which has turned it's back on its followers in the quest for more money and power.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
I will not discount that organized religion causes strife. I believe in God, though I am often certain that my personal version of God has little to do with the religion I was raised in (Catholic). I do go to church, because I believe that the ability to meet with others in a non confrontational environment who share the same views as you is important.

Now, that being said, there are many, many evil people who have nothing to do with God or religion.

I am also a firm believer in free will. God gave us this earth to do with as we will. He gave us the ability to have free will and form free thought, something neither angel nor demon has, and therefore we are loved above all.

You all have the right to believe what you will, but there are more Buddhists in the world than Christians, so if everything can be blamed on religion, blame them.