WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Republican Gov. hopeful attempts to block the release of Windows Vista

Jung

???
Premium
http://www.betanews.com/article/AntiMS_Group_Aims_to_Block_Vista/1123614377
A public interest lawyer who is also intending to run as a Republican in the 2006 Illinois gubernatorial race is taking his fight to Microsoft in hopes of preventing the company from releasing what he calls "bad code."

Andy Martin of The Committee to Fight Microsoft on Tuesday announced his intentions to block Microsoft from releasing Windows Vista. Martin intends to ask Microsoft for an unconditional warranty that the operating system is free of bugs that could result in security vulnerabilities.

"Bill Gates sells the public defective products, and then expects us to spend years being his guinea pigs, while he corrects the myriad of defects and vulnerabilities in his defective code. This is mass consumer fraud." Martin argued.

"It is unacceptable corporate behavior. Over four years after Windows XP was released I still receive regular 'updates' and 'bug fixes,' which reflect a product that was originally scandalously defective."

Windows 95 was a "disaster" and Windows 98 only created new vulnerabilities, Martin said. He argues that no company in America gets away with selling a "defective" product the way Microsoft does.

Also called into question were Microsoft's claims that Windows XP could run on 128MB of RAM, encouraging the sale of underpowered computers by its partners. "The Committee to Fight Microsoft is launching a legal action effort to bar such practice, in advance, for Windows Vista. Bill Gates, you are on notice," Martin said.

In response to the allegations, a Microsoft spokesperson told BetaNews: "Building confidence and trust in computing continues to be one of Microsoft's top priorities and is crucial to the success of the technology industry as a whole. Over the past three years, Microsoft has implemented a range of new security programs, including the Security Development Lifecycle, which has resulted in measurable improvements in the security of Microsoft's software."

"While there is no such thing as a state of absolute security, Microsoft believes Windows Vista will be the most secure version of Windows the company has ever shipped," the spokesperson added.

Martin is a public interest lawyer from Chicago who has worked on several consumer rights cases, including antitrust lawsuits dealing with network television affliation agreements in 1969 and his own antitrust effort against Microsoft in 1998.

He announced an exploratory committee to run for the Republican gubernatorial nomination in Illinois in January of this year.
I think we've found Slashdot's candidate.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
if they couldnt stop him from releasing windows 95, or the god forsaken Windows ME, what makes him think he can succeed where many lawyers way above him failed?

We Are Microsoft.... Resistance Is Futile.... You will be General protection fault in win.exe. your computer must be restarted.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Well Bill could release his shitty product and then never update it. That would be even worse than now I think. This is just a publicity grab plain and simple. Like that shmuck could stop the microsoft company. Hell they took on the whole govt and won fer christ's sake.

Does anyone else find it slightly disturbing to have the GOP going to bat for a more stable commercial operating system and anti-M$ legislation?
It's fucking with my head a little.

Descent

Hella Constipated
FlipTheState said:
Does anyone else find it slightly disturbing to have the GOP going to bat for a more stable commercial operating system and anti-M$ legislation?
It's fucking with my head a little.
He's clearly an educated G.O.P.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
Don't get me wrong, Windows leaves a lot to be desired, but to place 100% of all blame on computer fuckups on Microsoft when there are hundreds of different hardware vendors' components and software running (and often contributing to the systemic problems themselves) is a little unreasonable. Given the GOP's historic leanings toward laisez faire economics, he'll get laughed out of the nomination convention.

Woodreaux said:
Don't get me wrong, Windows leaves a lot to be desired, but to place 100% of all blame on computer fuckups on Microsoft when there are hundreds of different hardware vendors' components and software running (and often contributing to the systemic problems themselves) is a little unreasonable. Given the GOP's historic leanings toward laisez faire economics, he'll get laughed out of the nomination convention.
Well, in line with that:
On a philosophical note, there ARE thousands of 12 year old kids with nothing to do except seek out and expliot any tiny little crack in the Windows code. If there weren't so many people trying to break it, it wouldn't break so much.
Not that I Luuuuuuuv M$ but Woodreaux is right.
Oh, and it's only 'hands off' if it doesn't concern big energy, big oil, or big bombs.

jamesp

In Memory...
I dont know. Microsoft has kinda been exploiting the consumers that buy its products for what? 100$ a copy for XP? It is advertised as a new era in Operating Systems, they glorify the hell out of it, but when it comes out there are hundreds of potentially bad security holes. But Redhat does the same thing? Well, Redhat and is a fuck load cheaper...free! As are the updates! And, the commercial versions of Redhat are much cheaper and more stable. It is something like fraud and should be rectified, but there is now way in hell that a small time Republican can do much of anything to Microsoft.

Jung

???
Premium
Yeah, but Red Hat is a shitty distro, so that's irrelevant. :p

Bill Gates has enough fucking money to live until the world ends. Why the fuck does he have to release another faulty product when XP was bad enough???

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that M$ doesn't fuck people over, I'm just saying that people have taken to Microsoft like....umm....insurgents to the troops in Iraq. Seems like people just sit around all day and think of ways to break M$ code...dream night and day of finding that next big hole so they can exploit it and tout it to the world from the top of a mountain. I'm saying that in some ways the whole situation is feeding itself. M$ has a shitty model, so people break it, so M$ tries to make it more secure, which makes their model shittier, so people break it, so... ad infinitum.
Besides, if you want to talk markets, this is only REALLY important to the enterprise distributions and the flock of sheep consumers that don't know enough about computers and couldn't tell you the difference between a network protocol and a parallel cable. Wait...maybe even that's giving them too much credit. How about the people who keep trying to plug USB keyboards into their modem port? Coz we all know they're out there. Those people NEED Windows, coz God knows they'd be lost in the sauce in even the Mandrake distro.
And linux is only just recently starting to gain momentum in the business world because of it's inherent state of constant flux. It's always growing, changing, fixing, and businesses need stability. Novell has helped with their acquisition of Suse and the development of the Novell Linux Desktop, but open souce is still a long ways away from edging its way past M$.
People who know enough about computers usually simply choose open source as a matter of ideology, but the huddled masses don't have that option.
So, what do we REALLY care? Except for that so much of what's available to the public has been coded specifically to integrate with Windows, this isn't a 'normal' person battle...it's a battle for businesses (and big ones at that)....
Which might be why the GOP is finally lining up on this one.
Microsoft's business model is sticking it to businesses at an exponential rate. Look at the upgrade path over the past few years. To upgrade Exchange you had to roll your entire infrastructure over to Active Directory, which is not cheap in a big company, all things considered. They're going to do the same thing with the release of Vista and its compatibility with the 2k, XP, and 2003 product suites...no built in backwards compatibility. So businesses are facing billions of dollars in conversion costs over the next 5 years with Vista's release...

I just think that I can smell the hands of big business - rather than Joe Schmoe Consumer - in this sudden GOP interest in the affairs of Microsoft.

jamesp

In Memory...
junglizm said:
Yeah, but Red Hat is a shitty distro, so that's irrelevant. :p
STFU! It was intended as a point maker not a specific.

Fedora Core (4) all the way!
Maybe Gentoo....

jamesp

In Memory...
FlipTheState said:
Oh yeah, I'm not saying that M$ doesn't fuck people over, I'm just saying that people have taken to Microsoft like....umm....insurgents to the troops in Iraq. Seems like people just sit around all day and think of ways to break M$ code...dream night and day of finding that next big hole so they can exploit it and tout it to the world from the top of a mountain. I'm saying that in some ways the whole situation is feeding itself. M$ has a shitty model, so people break it, so M$ tries to make it more secure, which makes their model shittier, so people break it, so... ad infinitum.
Besides, if you want to talk markets, this is only REALLY important to the enterprise distributions and the flock of sheep consumers that don't know enough about computers and couldn't tell you the difference between a network protocol and a parallel cable. Wait...maybe even that's giving them too much credit. How about the people who keep trying to plug USB keyboards into their modem port? Coz we all know they're out there. Those people NEED Windows, coz God knows they'd be lost in the sauce in even the Mandrake distro.
And linux is only just recently starting to gain momentum in the business world because of it's inherent state of constant flux. It's always growing, changing, fixing, and businesses need stability. Novell has helped with their acquisition of Suse and the development of the Novell Linux Desktop, but open souce is still a long ways away from edging its way past M$.
People who know enough about computers usually simply choose open source as a matter of ideology, but the huddled masses don't have that option.
So, what do we REALLY care? Except for that so much of what's available to the public has been coded specifically to integrate with Windows, this isn't a 'normal' person battle...it's a battle for businesses (and big ones at that)....
Which might be why the GOP is finally lining up on this one.
Microsoft's business model is sticking it to businesses at an exponential rate. Look at the upgrade path over the past few years. To upgrade Exchange you had to roll your entire infrastructure over to Active Directory, which is not cheap in a big company, all things considered. They're going to do the same thing with the release of Vista and its compatibility with the 2k, XP, and 2003 product suites...no built in backwards compatibility. So businesses are facing billions of dollars in conversion costs over the next 5 years with Vista's release...

I just think that I can smell the hands of big business - rather than Joe Schmoe Consumer - in this sudden GOP interest in the affairs of Microsoft.
Okay, thats true, the majority of people do need something very simple, but I can argue the fact that most programs are made for Windows.

Check it here.

Scroll down to post number 23.

Jung

???
Premium
jamesp said:
Fedora Core (4) all the way!
Ugh, rpms are by far the worst package management system out there. It's all about APT and debs! (Or BSD's portage system)
Maybe Gentoo....
Lol, C Flags and "optimizations."

When you get ready for a real distro, head on over to www.debian.org or www.slackware.org. :thumbsup:

:)

FlipTheState said:
Besides, if you want to talk markets, this is only REALLY important to the enterprise distributions and the flock of sheep consumers that don't know enough about computers and couldn't tell you the difference between a network protocol and a parallel cable.
I agree. Half the people complaining about XP's security wouldn't know what to do with a truly secure OS anyway. Hell, they can't even keep XP clean... which isn't exactly rocket science.

In general, people don't care about security, until they get to say things like "M$ sucks" and such.
Those people NEED Windows, coz God knows they'd be lost in the sauce in even the Mandrake distro.
No, those people need Macs and a "Macs for the utterly stupid dummies" book.

And linux is only just recently starting to gain momentum in the business world because of it's inherent state of constant flux.
What? Linux has been a major player in IT for ages. Especially since the proprietary UNIXes have been niche for about the past 15 years or so. You will find Linux, and other UNIX-like OSes, installed on more servers than any other OS, worldwide. NIX practically runs the internet.
To upgrade Exchange you had to roll your entire infrastructure over to Active Directory, which is not cheap in a big company, all things considered.
Or Open Directory... or LDAP. ;)
They're going to do the same thing with the release of Vista and its compatibility with the 2k, XP, and 2003 product suites...no built in backwards compatibility. So businesses are facing billions of dollars in conversion costs over the next 5 years with Vista's release...
Everything that Vista is getting, save for WinFFS, is being back ported to XP. That includes Indigo and Avalon, which are just going to be APIs for developers - but the framework will be there. Vista won't really be ready for a real corporate IT environment until at least it's first service pack. So I'd say we're still at least 4 years out before anyone starts making the conversion.

junglizm said:
What? Linux has been a major player in IT for ages. Especially since the proprietary UNIXes have been niche for about the past 15 years or so. You will find Linux, and other UNIX-like OSes, installed on more servers than any other OS, worldwide. NIX practically runs the internet.
Not servers, desktops. *Nix owns the backend infrastructure (unless you're a Windows shop), but I was aiming at the enterprise desktop market. That's where Linux is only recently beginning to gain any real momentum.

junglizm said:
Or Open Directory... or LDAP. ;)
Yeah, but the point is that unless you're already using OD/LDAP then you're still going to have to pay out the ass to change your network infrastructure. Microsoft banks on the premise that companies would rather pay them to upgrade their entire infrastructure than to risk the possibility of a failed attempt.
junglizm said:
Everything that Vista is getting, save for WinFFS, is being back ported to XP. That includes Indigo and Avalon, which are just going to be APIs for developers - but the framework will be there. Vista won't really be ready for a real corporate IT environment until at least it's first service pack. So I'd say we're still at least 4 years out before anyone starts making the conversion.
Yeah ok I got excited and included XP in my rant. However, unless I'm mistaken, that inclusion wasn't in the original plan. M$ only made that change as a result of backlash from the professional community.
And we agree on the timing...I was estimating 5 years from the release of Vista was the window before M$ would stop supporting pre-Vista products and companies were forced to do something.
By the way, this is where you show that you knew I was talking about desktops! :cool: