WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines responsibility

quix0te

Clitpickle
64
0
0
#1
Agree, disagree, qualify:

You are the author of your own life; responsible for yourself, the people around you, and the world you live in.
 
7,261
1,340
218
#2
quix0te said:
Agree, disagree, qualify:

You are the author of your own life; responsible for yourself, the people around you, and the world you live in.
Everyone needs responsibility. Without it life's a long, bumpy, fucked up highway. You're bound to crash, or at least get thrown off track.

(I could tell you: "This is posted in the wrong place", but I'm sure you'll find out, soon enough.)
 

quix0te

Clitpickle
64
0
0
#3
I figured it was an issue. Where should I put it?
 
7,261
1,340
218
#4
quix0te said:
I figured it was an issue. Where should I put it?
In "chit-chat", but I'm sure it'll be moved, anyway. It is sort of an issue, though. I'll give you that. :thumbsup:
 

quix0te

Clitpickle
64
0
0
#5
I was hoping to get a rise out of the determinists out there...
 
7,261
1,340
218
#6
quix0te said:
I was hoping to get a rise out of the determinists out there...
Too short a post. I doubt it will "get a rise" out of anyone, but w/e.
 

quix0te

Clitpickle
64
0
0
#7
Taylor_Blade said:
Too short a post. I doubt it will "get a rise" out of anyone, but w/e.
That's if you're not familiar with the context.

I'll elaborate though, I probably should have.

Some say that you are responsible for everything. For example: a war starts halfway acrossed the world. You don't want this war to exist. I might say that if you aren't doing something to stop the war, you're accepting it. Therefore you're responsible for it.
Using that logic, I think you're responsible for the entire world.
 

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
1,086
0
0
#8
quix0te said:
Agree, disagree, qualify:

You are the author of your own life; responsible for yourself, the people around you, and the world you live in.

Some say that you are responsible for everything. For example: a war starts halfway acrossed the world. You don't want this war to exist. I might say that if you aren't doing something to stop the war, you're accepting it. Therefore you're responsible for it.
Using that logic, I think you're responsible for the entire world.
agreed.
 
7,261
1,340
218
#9
quix0te said:
I'll elaborate though, I probably should have.

Some say that you are responsible for everything. For example: a war starts halfway acrossed the world. You don't want this war to exist. I might say that if you aren't doing something to stop the war, you're accepting it. Therefore you're responsible for it.
Using that logic, I think you're responsible for the entire world.
It's very true that if you do nothing about it, you accept it. However, I don't believe it makes you "responsible" for it. Especially, when it comes to such things as war. Allow me to explain.

You may be accepting it, in the fact, that you do nothing to stop it. Yet, you, yourself, did not start it, from half way around the world. Nor, is it even the slightest bit likely that you could stop it if you tried. You see, most people are completely powerless, in most situations of that nature.

I see what you are saying, and I find it to be a rather closed minded, and judgmental view of things. It is nothing more than, a way to place blame. Actaully, your entire logic, lacks just that, logic. I mean, seriously, according to your logic: I’m responsible for the Tsunami disaster, because I did nothing to stop it. Well, do tell: What exactly should I have done?
 

quix0te

Clitpickle
64
0
0
#10
First of all you didn't know that the tsunami was even about to hit.

And keep in mind that I use that as an example. The only way I think you could really apply this is to your personal life, or if you feel very strongly about an issue.

It's not something I came up with either, it's one of the tenants of existentialism.

I still don't understand all of it yet myself, but that's the one aspect I do get. If you want a more solid argument for it, read something like Essays in Existentialism by Sartre.
 
7,261
1,340
218
#11
quix0te said:
And keep in mind that I use that as an example. The only way I think you could really apply this is to your personal life.
If this is supposed to apply to your personal life, then why use "war" as an example? (In that regard, my own example of the tsunami deal, was also misplaced.)

Also, there will always be things in your own life, that are completely out of your own control. Sometimes shit just happens, nothing you can do about it, except deal.
 

quix0te

Clitpickle
64
0
0
#12
Taylor_Blade said:
If this is supposed to apply to your personal life, then why use "war" as an example?

Also, there will always be things in your own life, that are completely out of your own control. Sometimes shit just happens, nothing you can do about it, except deal.

Let me find an excerpt from the book I saw this in, Sartre words it much more eloquently than I ever could. I'll post with it soon.
 
7,261
1,340
218
#13
quix0te said:
Let me find an excerpt from the book I saw this in, Sartre words it much more eloquently than I ever could. I'll post with it soon.
Go for it. :thumbsup: