WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

restaurant life sucks ass

so i know a lot of you out there can relate. working in a restaurant sucks!! you get sucked into it by the talk of all of this good money that you're going to make, but it ends up being more of a headache than it's actually worth.
i'm a hostess in a nice restaurant, and just last night i can name 4 times that i got yelled at by either a server, a kitchen staff member, or a manager on duty. i especially wanted to kill the server!! we have outside seating when it's nice and warm outside.
so these two guys come into the restaurant and ask if they can sit at a table outside. i told them that a hostess would be with them in one moment and that we would seat them. they told me that they already had a table outside and that it was cleared off, but that one of the servers said that they had to come check in with a hostess. so i told him that was fine and i went ahead and let them sit there. what's the harm, right?
so this bitchy server had the balls to come up to me right after that and tell me that now it was going to make him look bad and that those guys were going to fill out a bad comment card on him, which he could get fired for. he totally overreacted, and it left me more pissed off than i was before. :mfinger: :sword: :gun: :bomb: and then when i talked to my manager about the whole situation, he just shrugged it off because he and that server go FISHING together and so they're good friends. this was no catastrophe, but good GOD if i wasn't fucking pissed off!!!
:bonk:

i work at a restaurant too in the summers, and it's good money for me...

the way i've seen the hostesses get by is THEY are the bosses, they dictate who gets tables and who gets seated. i've seen hostesses boss customers and waiters around - pick up the attitude and run with it, see what happens

GottaHurt

Sexual Deviant
Wait right before the mgr starts cutting the floor, he's doing his sidework anticipating getting out, then triple seat him. Or during volume, skip him a few times.

does he get a table??

good thinking... i mean, i try to be fair, but if he's not playing fair, then why should i??? muah ha ha ha ha ha :mischief:

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
oh quit whining. If some dick head server is giving you lip why dont you confront the bastard. Why go off complaining? This sounds like a simple situation that requires a simple solution. Take the guy into a back room and tell him never to insult you again, etc etc etc. Have some balls, darling.

I hate mcdonald i work there when i was 18, and i quit because they didnt pay good and i had to put up with manager bullshit and especially customer -
fuckin' rude bastards. i almost got in fight with one the manager because he had me doing alot shit at once and i told him i only have 2 hands, and he respond "well you have to work faster" and i told him "look you fat fuck, you think this shit is easy why dont you do it " ... and i quit !, mcdonalds SUCK BALLS! burger king anyone ? :mfinger:

shep

Local alcoholic
I could never work in a restaurant for the simple fact i can't put up with peoples shit.I would closeline a whiney customer or manager ,and lay some beating's on fellow co-worker's. :thumbsup:

magnolia

Postaholic
josiegrossie said:
so i know a lot of you out there can relate. working in a restaurant sucks!! you get sucked into it by the talk of all of this good money that you're going to make, but it ends up being more of a headache than it's actually worth.
i'm a hostess in a nice restaurant, and just last night i can name 4 times that i got yelled at by either a server, a kitchen staff member, or a manager on duty. i especially wanted to kill the server!! we have outside seating when it's nice and warm outside.
so these two guys come into the restaurant and ask if they can sit at a table outside. i told them that a hostess would be with them in one moment and that we would seat them. they told me that they already had a table outside and that it was cleared off, but that one of the servers said that they had to come check in with a hostess. so i told him that was fine and i went ahead and let them sit there. what's the harm, right?
so this bitchy server had the balls to come up to me right after that and tell me that now it was going to make him look bad and that those guys were going to fill out a bad comment card on him, which he could get fired for. he totally overreacted, and it left me more pissed off than i was before. :mfinger: :sword: :gun: :bomb: and then when i talked to my manager about the whole situation, he just shrugged it off because he and that server go FISHING together and so they're good friends. this was no catastrophe, but good GOD if i wasn't fucking pissed off!!!
:bonk:
I know exactly how u feel. I work for a resturaunt that at first was a breath of fresh air. I get paid 6.50 and hour because I'm supposed to be a hostess, but I end up bussing for the most part. I've worked there since before christmas and I've only worked 4 host shifts becuase I'm "not trained in enough to work a shift by myself." but how the f**** am I supposed to be trained in when I don't get the hours and when I do the mng. take over?! Not only that, when I bus, the servers are supposed to tip me, but more often than not I bust my ass and get nadda zip nothing in my tip basket.So I'm quiting as soon as I get a better paying job. I applyed at wally world right after work today cuz they start u out at over $7 and u get a raise every 6 months. Not only that, they really need people and the work isn't that hard. Good luck with ur situation. I know how much crabby resturant workers can be and all I can say is hang in there, or if nothing changes, get out. It's not worth being miserable for a little bit of money at the end of the day. Bless!

now what????

that's good advice. i actually had a thing happen the other day that made it even worse! i ended up with some really bad news and i got so upset that i was hypervenilating (sp?) and crying and stuff. my managers called me into work and i told them that i would work the shift anyways b/c they needed somebody. i went to the bathroom and got a grip, came out and that night they were so sweet to me. the next night, however, my manager very plainly told me that they honestly weren't able to care and that life fucking sucks and that either way if i couldn't come into work that they would hire someone else. except i DID come into work!! and i DID do my job! but i know good and well that if it had been one of the OTHER hostesses that flirts with the managers all the time that had been so upset (as it has been in the past) that they would have bent over backwards to make sure that she was okay and that she was taken care of... that sucks!!!!

VelvetAcid

Banned - What an Asshat!
Hmmm

"working in a restaurant sucks!! " Get another job?.......... no wait, that's just common sense. :question: :rolleyes: :question:

hellooooo...

umm.... CAN'T... i need to keep this job because 1.) the hours fit into my school schedule, 2.) i need to build up my employee history in a restaurant so that one day i can wait tables while i finish my degree, and 3.) the money's good. so if you can find me another job with those things in common that's here in my city, LET ME KNOW, and i'll be more than happy to get another job. believe me, i've looked. :rolleyes: :mfinger:

well then the best thing to do is take it like a man and just make the best of it......

but wait--there's more!!

oh, guess what ya'll... now the other night something even worse happened!! i couldn't get a ride to work b/c my car was broken down and my parents suddenly had to go out of town on an emergency. i called everybody i knew and asked them for a ride, but most everybody was at work, too. and so i called my manager and explained the situation and he said everything was fine. then i get into work the next day when my parents come home and he gives me a termination warning!! he told me that if anything like that ever happened again, he would fire me!! (hence the name "termination warning" he he) but anyways, like i said before, had i been one of the other choice few hostesses, they would have been given time off with pay and a personal house visit to make sure they were doing okay or something stupid like that. but nooooo... i just get almost fired!!!

sounds like your managers are dumbfucks. What u should do is write into hedquarters and tell them everything you know about everything that goes on. I bet they'll blow the whistle real quick.

hmm....

GOOD IDEA!!! :heybaby: :nod: :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator: