WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Results of a Windows 2000 installation.

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
Time estimated by the Setup program to upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows 2000: 35 to 40 minutes.

Actual time taken: 15 days.

I hope it was worth it... :rolleyes:

Pachyderm

I really did.
This is why I tell people to get MACs. You load the computer, takes about 15 seconds, it goes to the main screen where all your stuff on the desktop is loaded. If you delete something, it's completely gone, where as in a PC the program you have inbeds itself into your system taking up memory. Things are so much easier on a mac. Use one for a week then switch back to PC, you'll get so frustrated.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Share your secret with me

Pachyderm said:
This is why I tell people to get MACs. You load the computer, takes about 15 seconds, it goes to the main screen where all your stuff on the desktop is loaded. If you delete something, it's completely gone, where as in a PC the program you have inbeds itself into your system taking up memory. Things are so much easier on a mac. Use one for a week then switch back to PC, you'll get so frustrated.
I've loaded literally hundreds of machines with several versions of windows including NT server, 2000 server and now 2003 server. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had an install issue. Why is it that I can do this for my company and other companies, flawlessly, and yet I always hear people whining?
The only real business setting I ever see Mac used is in the photography business. Even still most of my customers that are in the photo business, use all PC, Including Fuji.
Why if Macs are so "superior" does the entire business and IT community use PC and Linux? But somehow you know better than them. Please tell me your secret.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
MAC COMPUTERS SUCK!!!!!!!!
but seriously tho i use windows 2000 pro and i have not had a single problem. i have installed it twice on this computer only because i changed harddrives. But i would NEVER go to a mac, and yes i have used them alot. THEY SUCK!

Pachyderm

I really did.
I am in an art school and I do use my computer for graphic arts. My computer has a lot of memory and speed to it. I agree that the lack of software made by others totally sucks, I can't get games or programs unless it's made by MAC. But if you aren't a computer nerd and you don't plan on trying to figure out all the bugs in Windows you should use MACs. There are virtually no viruses or popups. Everything takes seconds to load. It's very user friendly. Windows sucks ass.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
funny. everything takes a moment to load on my machine at work as well as my laptop and the two I have at home. They vary from my work PC which is P3 933 mhz w/512 mb ram to my gaming rig @ home P4 2.8 Ghz 2 GB ram. Yet they all operate properly with me doing minimal maintainance. I am yet to figure out what all those people are doing wrong. Unles maybe it's that I don't load all kinds of crap like weather bug and AOL on it.
Atleast when a windows machine does crash it's easy to recover. Ever see a MAC crash? Not pretty.

BakEd13

4:20 Celebrater
Pachyderm said:
I am in an art school and I do use my computer for graphic arts. My computer has a lot of memory and speed to it. I agree that the lack of software made by others totally sucks, I can't get games or programs unless it's made by MAC. But if you aren't a computer nerd and you don't plan on trying to figure out all the bugs in Windows you should use MACs. There are virtually no viruses or popups. Everything takes seconds to load. It's very user friendly. Windows sucks ass.
Look, windows does suck ass. I'll be one of the first to admit that. But MAC's suck even more. Now before you hit quote and reply to that, read up.. If you are using your PC for anything video related (IE: video editing, creating, etc..) or HIGH end graphic work (IE: creating mystical photos of magic fairies and flying ships, no peterpan pun intended, or a poweruser of photoshop) then MAC is the way to go. But only because they are so much more powerful in doing such things. ANYTHING ELSE use a windows PC. And as for the windows 2000 upgrade taking 15 days.. I hope you formatted the drive and not just upgraded from 98.. or you will have major issues sooner or later. Trust me, that is how File Systems work. MaxPower knows what I'm talking about. :D

*EDIT* And about the no viruses for mac, the reason is numbers. If I write a virus for windows, I hit about 85% of the market (maybe higher %). If I write a virus for MAC, well... you get the point... *EDIT*

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
MaxPower said:
I've loaded literally hundreds of machines with several versions of windows including NT server, 2000 server and now 2003 server. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had an install issue. Why is it that I can do this for my company and other companies, flawlessly, and yet I always hear people whining?
I've loaded all manner of Windows software 100's of times, and have seen little problems with the installs.

But you have to admit, after not too long, Windows operating systems have to be cleaned and maintined, otherwise they get bogged down, and start to screw up. Registry gets twinked, and before you know it you're reloading.

Thin client is the way to go...

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
ya for remote access or some office apps. we use citrix metaframe on alot of our machines. It saves us from having to buy really fast machines to keep up with suck ass foxpro database that runs under ACCPAC. we have a 3 server farm for internal load balancing of our citrix sessions, and one for remote telecommuting outside sales people. We also use it with a connection that we have to our UK branch.
Our internal users on the LAN still use the local machine for email and web browsing. This is to keep the citrix boxes chugging db apps, and leave the throughput stuff on the local box.

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
Mac / PC

I got both. A p4 machine and a G4....I like both they both have pros and cons. I can count on 1 hand how many times my G4 has crashed in the last year....My PC, 10 fingers and 10 toes +++...That sucks....(they are both used in the same manner). MAC for Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, and so on...Although the PC is catching on in that market it's still not there yet..PC on the other hand is faster pending on your machine of course...Both mine where purchased around the same time and both where considered fast...PC is a better internet and gaming machine...But for any kinda DV editing, and graphics apps it's all on mac...This is why I bought my G4 It's the industry standard for Desk top pub, Graphics-printing-pre press, and editing...Purely based on the fact that it is a more reliable machine...Usually when an app crashes on the mac you can force quit that app without affecting any thing else...Not the PC. You crash and, restart the whole system, and in pre-press we can't afford that....L8

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
TwisT said:
.Usually when an app crashes on the mac you can force quit that app without affecting any thing else...Not the PC. You crash and, restart the whole system, and in pre-press we can't afford that....L8
That's the old days. Not too much of that in XP,2000, or 2003. True I still see that in windows, but that's rare. If you really get hung it's normally because of one app in particular. Often you can just go to task manager and kill the process in question. That memory space then becomes free, and you can go on with your life, no reboot required.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
I dont have any major issues with windows. The only time i have had my computer crash within the last year has been just because i have been screwing with things i shouldnt.
And about the whole image thing that has been the major arguement for mac. Just get Adobe photoshop. That program is amazing. I have never seen a image program do so much. And it comes for both windows and mac. So i dont think mac has anything on windows. If it did then why the hell do so many MORE people use windows????????

Pachyderm

I really did.
I am saying that if you don't want to be a computer nerd, don't want to take the time to be PC savy, use a MAC. It's much more user friendly.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
HOLY SHIT THERES SOME FUCKING NERDS IN HERE on other posts they're sitting there all calm tallking about killing people or wishing death on so and so but the moment some one comes up with some shit about mac's and pc's we get into some heavy agruements. take it easy guys...go ahead and take a minute to let your erection cool down before any one else gets hurt...pachy... i'd let it go if i were you, its obvious the sissy slaps are getting ready to fly.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
bigck3000 said:
HOLY SHIT THERES SOME FUCKING NERDS IN HERE on other posts they're sitting there all calm tallking about killing people or wishing death on so and so but the moment some one comes up with some shit about mac's and pc's we get into some heavy agruements. take it easy guys...go ahead and take a minute to let your erection cool down before any one else gets hurt...pachy... i'd let it go if i were you, its obvious the sissy slaps are getting ready to fly.
Oh and believe me,I could hurt some people with my erection.

Pachyderm

I really did.
bigck3000 said:
That was my exact point, you don't have to be a nerd to use MAC, it's easy to use. I don't know anything about computers, and MaxPower can try to impress me with his vast knowlege of PC terms, but I don't care. I also have a PC. I don't have any trouble with my MAC crashing or getting viruses. I am a happy camper, and I don't plan on mastering the technology that is the PC anytime soon.

BakEd13

4:20 Celebrater
MaxPower said:
Oh and believe me,I could hurt some people with my erection.
Bwahaha MaxPower.. like I've said before, you r0ck..

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Pachyderm said:
That was my exact point, you don't have to be a nerd to use MAC, it's easy to use. I don't know anything about computers, and MaxPower can try to impress me with his vast knowlege of PC terms, but I don't care. I also have a PC. I don't have any trouble with my MAC crashing or getting viruses. I am a happy camper, and I don't plan on mastering the technology that is the PC anytime soon.
I don't know how to say this delicately, without offending you. Honestly it's not my intention. But, if someone has a current version of windows, like XP or 2000, and it keeps crashing; it's their fault. Weather it be some poorly coded app that they load or installing substandard hardware. It is something they did.
It's really not that hard to operate a windows machine, and it just keeps getting easier. When I first started with computers I had to deal with "Basic" language, then DOS Ver. 1.1 in like 1983. I learned how to use windows 3.1 with no manuals and no training whatsoever. If I can do that, back then. Then anybody can use a current version of windows without a problem.

People have to remember that there are thousands of companies that make hardware and software to work with PC's and windows. Microsoft can not test it all, nor is it their responsibility. It is the responsibility of hardware and software vendors to test all their own products. Some don't. You get what you pay for. If you install cheap hardware, or load all kinds of crap like weather bug and all these stupid search bars for IE, It’s looking for trouble.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I have always had problems with XP. It got to the point where I switched over to Linux, but I hated it. I was this close to buying a Mac, when I tried out Windows Server 2003. Bam. Perfect. Simple, easy to use, fast, and rock solid. I had more stability problems with Linux then I had with Server. It was one of the best computing decisions I ever made. It's great, download the trial version and see for yourself.

Also, I am a bona-fide geek, I don't use IE (I use Mozilla 1.7), and I never have any viruses or spyware on my machine (Unless you count tracking cookies, which really don't count). I have a perfectly stable machine.

As to saying Macs suck? They run off UNIX. They are stable as hell, and do almost anything a PC can do, except gaming. Since I am a gamer, I am stuck with the PC, but I really don't care anymore.

My advice to computer newbies is to buy a Mac, because they don't get fucked up. After you get good with that, invest in a cheap used PC, and learn about how M$ software works, and invest money in whichever platform you like more. It's all about personal preference.

I have also never had ANY problem installing Windows. Windows is the easiest PC OS to install, in my opinion. Even the archaic Win$hit 98 installed like a dream.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Anybody try the beta of Microsoft "Longhorn" yet? Pretty cool.