WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Retro Game Room Paint Color Ideas

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
So,

I'm creating a brand new RETRO game room (i'm switching rooms from my old one). What color should I start with that works well with 70s, 80s, 90s gaming?

There is a chair rail in the room, do I do the top and bottom different?

Do I do an accent wall?

Thoughts?

Scooter

Roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Royal blue (or maybe a bit darker) and black with subtle red highlights.

I'm thinking blue walls and black ceiling with black around any baseboards or doorways. As for red highlights, I mean a thin red stripe for every corner of wall and ceiling and baseboards and doorways.

Last edited:

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Royal blue (or maybe a bit darker) and black with subtle red highlights.

I'm thinking blue walls and black ceiling with black around any baseboards or doorways. As for red highlights, I mean a thin red stripe for every corner of wall and ceiling and baseboards and doorways.
I would probably have a very dark color over the chair rail and then have themed text under it, with your favorite logos in vinyl cutouts below. Or reverse it and put the logos around the top.

Are you playing games, or having stuff showcased. Obviously you'd need to have more light if you want to show off your things, and go with a darker theme, the dark I would think would be conducive to the arcadey/theatery vibe.

If I was showing my stuff off, I'd have more signature colors from my favorite company/game logos.

CoprophagousCop

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium
Draw a grid of squares on the walls and then paint them to mimic a Super Mario Brothers level. Or pick other videos games from the past and use them as a theme. Or make the room look like the original Tron movie.