WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Ridge Warns of Election Terror Plot

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
1,329
0
0
#1
Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge, left, accompanied by Assistant Secretary Susan Neely, right, and members of the Intelligence community, arrive for a news conference at the Department of Homeland Security in Washington Thursday, July 8, 2004, to discuss terror threats. The U.S. is tightening security in the face of a steady stream of intelligence indicating al-Qaida may seek to mount an attack aimed at disrupting elections.

Oh good, another non-descript threat.

They've had a "steady stream of intelligence", and they best they can tell us is that "something" might happen before 11/02. VERY USEFUL...

I swear, I think they just do this just for CYA is case something does happen...
 

tzedek

Original Member
2,515
3
38
#2
Tom Ridge gets a big :thumbsdn: from me and :rolleyes: oh yeah and cant forget :bs:
 

pimpyobitch

Banned - What an Asshat!
412
0
0
#3
Why are they going to have an attack. Were getting rid of Bush they should permote the election not destroy it.
 

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
1,329
0
0
#4
pimpyobitch said:
Why are they going to have an attack. Were getting rid of Bush they should permote the election not destroy it.
They think this is Spain. They blew up the train in Madrid to get people to vote for the guy who wasn't anti-terrorism. And it worked. The terrorists hate Bush, and just want to dick with him before the election.
 

edolphritler

Der Stallion Italiano
96
0
0
#5
voiceofreason said:
They think this is Spain. They blew up the train in Madrid to get people to vote for the guy who wasn't anti-terrorism. And it worked. The terrorists hate Bush, and just want to dick with him before the election.
Or maybe our partisan driven government would rather keep Americans afraid of putting a new President in office, since the Bush administration has made it clear that they are the only thing keeping us safe.

Propaganda is the spice of capitalistic pig life. My life.
 

morelos

lexicon incognito
1,952
0
0
#6
vor said:
They think this is Spain. They blew up the train in Madrid to get people to vote for the guy who wasn't anti-terrorism. And it worked. The terrorists hate Bush, and just want to dick with him before the election.
incorrect. "the terrorists" don't exist until you unite them behind a cause that pisses them off enough to behave in terrorist ways. you have to remember that.

'terrorist' is not a profession, and it's not something any little kid wants to grow up to do. it's what you get when you oppress people long enough to where after their repeated attempts to communicate with you by telling and by showing fail that they lash out violently. thus is born an act of terrorism.

they're not trying to rule, they're trying to be heard. that's all. i don't condone it in any way, but i do claim to understand it. it's an effect, not a cause -- and we should seek out and treat the underlying cause instead.

anyway, back to my point: bush is the best thing al-qaeda has ever had. take a group of really irate muslims from many different countries, then blow it with them repeatedly, pissing them all off at you and uniting them against you. bin laden has got to be intensely happy that bush is playing so well into his anti-americanism.

we are more threatened than ever as a society because of our "leader" and his actions. does it stop me from going to the mall? no. from flying? no. from going to baseball games? no.

and it sure as FUCK won't stop me from showing up at the polls, even though g dubya hopes it might.

~ dan ~
 

edolphritler

Der Stallion Italiano
96
0
0
#7
I suppose terrorism was at least at one time a reaction to oppression. However, it would seem that it has evolved into a culture where the youth are grown and raised on hatred, and generation to generation, terrorism is in the blood of many middle-eastern youth.

And in a world where I truly believe that Americans at least try to do the right thing, if we ever right the wrongs, then will we face terror without a cause?

Yeah, that would really suck.
 

morelos

lexicon incognito
1,952
0
0
#8
edolphritler said:
I suppose terrorism was at least at one time a reaction to oppression. However, it would seem that it has evolved into a culture where the youth are grown and raised on hatred, and generation to generation, terrorism is in the blood of many middle-eastern youth.
it still is. are you trying to say the folks in the middle east are not still being oppressed? thus, what each individual may or may not impress upon his or her children very well may reflect the resentment of that oppression.

but wherever there are people being educated, there's a chance for a difference. and there, just like here, you will find schools and universities.

edolphritler said:
And in a world where I truly believe that Americans at least try to do the right thing, if we ever right the wrongs, then will we face terror without a cause?
me doing the right thing for my pocketbook may not be the 'right thing' for you or for your people.

there is no "one right thing" and each individual's "right things" may conflict with one another.

~ dan ~
 

edolphritler

Der Stallion Italiano
96
0
0
#9
The truth is, Americans, particular right-wing conservatives, will never seek to eliminate oppression from any peoples unless they or the U.S. has something to gain. That is a sad fact, but I still don't think the U.S. is the source of all opression, and the fact is that we have eliminated opression regardless of the benefits we may have reaped.

So maybe the question is: Do the "oppressed" know something we don't?

I will never be ashamed of living my life within the guidelines that Locke set in the Renaissance.
 

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
1,329
0
0
#10
edolphritler said:
The truth is, Americans, particular right-wing conservatives, will never seek to eliminate oppression from any peoples unless they or the U.S. has something to gain. That is a sad fact, but I still don't think the U.S. is the source of all opression, and the fact is that we have eliminated opression regardless of the benefits we may have reaped.

So maybe the question is: Do the "oppressed" know something we don't?

I will never be ashamed of living my life within the guidelines that Locke set in the Renaissance.
edolphritler,

There are two different groups of right-wing conservatives. The politicians at the top, that attack other countries, and opress people in other ways for money. It's about the money only, they have no "secret" agenda to opress.

The other group of right-wing conservatives are American people, who simply believe in a set of what they call "American" values. They follow the leaders without thinking.
 

edolphritler

Der Stallion Italiano
96
0
0
#11
voiceofreason said:
edolphritler,

There are two different groups of right-wing conservatives. The politicians at the top, that attack other countries, and opress people in other ways for money. It's about the money only, they have no "secret" agenda to opress.

The other group of right-wing conservatives are American people, who simply believe in a set of what they call "American" values. They follow the leaders without thinking.
First, I wasn't trying to imply a secret agenda of conspiracy, but I will admit that I believe that information offered freely to us is limited, and I find it hard to sympathize with people who I don't completely understand. I was simply saying that it would benefit us to see things from their point of view.

Second, you are absolutely right. And people who follow without doing their homework are extremely dangerous. I would go as far as to say that it is lethargy, not terrorism, that poses the greatest threat to democracy and "The American Dream"

And I just want you to know that I'm listening to "War Pigs" by Black Sabbath while I write this.
 

morelos

lexicon incognito
1,952
0
0
#12
I would go as far as to say that it is lethargy, not terrorism, that poses the greatest threat to democracy and "The American Dream"
apathy, not lethargy. and we should be free to be apathetic under our system without being FORCED to rally together for or against a cause.

I believe that information offered freely to us is limited... And people who follow without doing their homework are extremely dangerous.
take a look at those two statements. it's been rendered VERY DIFFICULT here in america to get an unbiased picture, or even to GET the whole picture.

suddenly you have to SEEK OUT the news. fuck, we live in the information era; news should be smacking us in the face everywhere, and yet we have to dig, dig, dig, consult with sources abroad, cut, sort, paste, re-read and then finally we begin to have an understanding.

moreover, i read many things in thomas.loc.gov and on the senate and house web sites that NEVER GET NEWS COVERAGE but which sure as fuck should.

did you know:

- legislation is in committee to allow the senate to REVERSE SUPREME COURT DECISIONS?
- draft legislation is already in committee in both the house and senate?
- in 2003 it was made illegal to leave to live in other countries, if you might be doing it to avoid a draft?
- you CAN be arrested or searched by FEDERAL agents with no warrant? presently the "high risk of terror" in a given area can now be cited as probable cause.
- you can be held without being told why you're being held and without being charged with a crime.

very frightening legislation goes through lawmakers' hands and we never hear a thing about it. all this shit should be covered by the media, in my opinion.

~ dan ~
 

magnolia

Postaholic
4,093
59
112
#14
Okay, a warning that something may happen?! Please! They alledgedly had a warning that 9/11 might happen. So fuck them and thier warnings, they only respond when they think it'll do them any good.
 

edolphritler

Der Stallion Italiano
96
0
0
#15
magnolia said:
Okay, a warning that something may happen?! Please! They alledgedly had a warning that 9/11 might happen. So fuck them and thier warnings, they only respond when they think it'll do them any good.
Boo Yah :mfinger:
 

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
1,218
0
0
#16
There were many warnings/red flags on Sept 11th... but because of our PC sensitivities nothing was done... maybe if the info gathering/diciphering agencies had not been cut way back we could still be complacent Americans... Safe from all.. ohhh wait we are complacent again....
When something is working correctly it gets taken for granted... he may have given a generic warning... but what if he gave no warning at all and something happened.. there would be a call for his head...


BTW Kerry said he didn't have time for the briefing on election security and then had schmooze fest with donors/celebrities...
 

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
1,218
0
0
#19
U may believe that he lied.. and that is your right.. I won't be able to change your beliefs...

I'm sure that U and I can agree that all polititions lie at some point... and I guess the Liar on the other side scares me more then Bush..
 

edolphritler

Der Stallion Italiano
96
0
0
#20
DanGeo23 said:
U may believe that he lied.. and that is your right.. I won't be able to change your beliefs...

I'm sure that U and I can agree that all polititions lie at some point... and I guess the Liar on the other side scares me more then Bush..
Politicians, like John Kerry, they are all mostly full of shit. Why can't the truth be happy and inspiring?