WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Robotic animal research - WTF scary shit

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
This shit is fucking scary.

Breakthrough in robotic animal research

Chinanews, June 5 - A mouse can "understand" human speech! Recently, it was observed at the Robot Engineering Technology Research Center of Shandong University of Science and Technology that five mice with micro electrodes implanted on their heads obeyed the computer-generated commands of the research staff, correctly completing commands to, in succession, "turn left", "turn right" and "move forward".

"Animal robots", also known as "robotic animals" or "intelligent animals", are animals whose nervous systems are controlled by human electronic signals, turning them into "robotic" animals. Shandong University's recently completed this series of experiments, using the computer to generate a set of rhythmic electronic signal/codes that were transmitted to the mice brain through the implanted electrodes to reach certain neuro networks that have specialized functions, making the white mice realize left turn, right turn and march forward movements under the control of this neural network.

Project manager Su Xuecheng said that animal robot research is the intersection and merger of electronic communication and biology, creating a new scientific discipline. Following the maturation of this research project, "human electronic signals" will be "life-like" enough to actually or basically resemble signals generated by the body and the brain. At that time, putting computer chips implants inside animals will replace certain neurons of the animals in controlling certain behavior, or replace certain human damaged nerves to help the disabled to recover.

web source : http://www.chinanews.cn/news/2004/2005-06-06/5505.shtml

WTF????? Think about it, if they can tell a mouse to turn left, turn right and go forward, eventually they could tell a more dangerous animal to jump on throat, and even possibly control a human brain with a tiny chip.

i love science and everything, but sometimes it goes too far. :confuse:

Brazen

BAD, BOLD, BRAZEN
dull_bullet said:
i love science and everything, but sometimes it goes too far. :confuse:
Got to agree, some of the things they try to pull is just unbeliveble.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I read about this back in 2001, right after 9/11. They were talking about using rats as rescue animals. Unfortunately, a very weakened person could literally be scared to death by a rat.

Essentially they hooked the rat up to a wireless joystick, and told it where to go. It also had a wireless micro camera for easier movement in small dark areas that man cannot see.

You should be seeing them at your local RadioShack this holiday.

By the way, human brains would be VERY hard to do this with as primate mirror neurons are designed for complex social structures as well as body movement. It may never be done, or could take years.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Descent said:
I read about this back in 2001, right after 9/11. They were talking about using rats as rescue animals.
Yeah and wtf are they gonna do when they find people? Carry them back in a safe place? rofl

I think that's pretty cool. Imagine how many people who have nerve damage can recover back to normal and, if they could use that technology to help with brain damaged patients.

Oh, and I'd be able to do this:

Monkey, go tear that mother fuckers nose off!!!!

rcarhar

There goes a clever gent
I'd definitely turn up the stereo really loud and have my rats dance for money.

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
The future is but a day away. Geht with it, or geht left behind.

Weird.

bombchu

b-o-n-e-r
Wait, but do they actually understand it or do the electric impulse caps or whatever induce the turning?

I can't figure out whether the mouse actually understands, or they've figured out how to turn mice into remote control cars.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
bombchu said:
Wait, but do they actually understand it or do the electric impulse caps or whatever induce the turning?

I can't figure out whether the mouse actually understands, or they've figured out how to turn mice into remote control cars.
Either way, it's freaking cool.
:thumbsup:

Descent

Hella Constipated
bombchu said:

They literally perform brain surgery on the animal and intsall microscopic wires on parts of it's brain - it's fully reliable. The rat doesn't care - it thinks it has to go there.

And trust me, you would know if it would care. Being a proud pet rat owner myself, they can communicate with humans VERY well and you can tell when they are distressed, or if they don't want to do something, etc. They literally frown and smile depending on what's going on.

Descent

Hella Constipated
pyrodude said:
That is some crule shit man.
Read my posts in here - it's not cruel at all. The rat doesn't care.

Even then, you can turn off the device and it goes back to normal.

pyrodude

The real man's bitch
It may not be cruel at the moment but think about it. You could make it do anything you want. Run into a fire or something. Could be cool though