WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Offbeat Robots tearing shit up!

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
More Robot Grunts Ready for Duty

ORLANDO, Florida -- Hunting for guerillas, handling roadside bombs, crawling across the caves and crumbling towns of Afghanistan and Iraq -- all of that was just a start. Now, the Army is prepping its squad of robotic vehicles for a new set of assignments. And this time, they'll be carrying guns.

As early as March or April, 18 units of the Talon -- a model armed with automatic weapons -- are scheduled to report for duty in Iraq. Around the same time, the first prototypes of a new, unmanned ambulance should be ready for the Army to start testing. In a warren of hangar-sized hotel ballrooms in Orlando, military engineers this week showed off their next generation of robots, as they got the machines ready for the war zone.

"Putting something like this into the field, we're about to start something that's never been done before," said Staff Sgt. Santiago Tordillos, waving to the black, 2-foot-six-inch robot rolling around the carpeted floor on twin treads, an M249 machine gun cradled in its mechanical grip.

The rest of the story is available at: http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,65885,00.html?tw=wn_story_related

My thoughts run concurrently in 2 directions. The first is, :thumbsup: alright! lLet Iraqi insurgents or the Taliban, waste their IED's on these robots. It will help reduce our casualty rate.

On the other hand, OH SHIT!!, it's the frikkin rise of the machines! I'm not a technophobe. I like the idea of battle droids getting shot at instead of my countrymen. However, I know what accelerated timelines for R&D can do to debugging/quality control cycles. What do yall think?

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
Woot......................

hoooooooah

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
We already use unmanned drones for recon. It's only a matter of time until they duct tape a couple of cherry bombs to them. It seems like the logical evolution of things. Furthermore, an unmanned drone is capable of maneuvers that would rip a human's internal organs apart. The technology is here, the only thing keeping us from building an ultra maneuverable aircraft is the human factor. Nothing could catch it.

Side note: One of the companies that supply the type of robot that you're talking about is called IROBOT. I know this because my company supplies them with the reels of fiber-optics that they use for some of their models. They also make the Roomba robotic Vacuum cleaner.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
When I was in Grad School, my University participated in a DoD competition, in the Mohave Desert, to build a ground vehicle that was giuded by its own AI.
The specs didn't include weapons, it was testing for obstacle negotiation ability. Stick a .50 cal and Mk19 on it, then you've good automated ass whippin' on wheels. :bomb:

That's good. Now we won't have as many casulties. :thumbsup: In the future will we have robots fight our wars? :confused:

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
They're remote controlled, right?

If they are, then couldn't the enemy "hack" the frequences and take over?

If they're not, what if they go crazy matrix style?

This poses a serious ethics problem

ferengi

Yay fire!
I hate the FCC said:
In the future will we have robots fight our wars? :confused:
Might just be...
And who knows, maybe we'll all be plugged into a big Matrix one day, supplying all the robots with power while we unwittingly go about our made-up lives...
NOO!!!!!!!! *shoots computer* DIE EVIL MACHINE OVERLORD!!!! Whoops... maybe that was a bit of an overreaction.

Shiva

Fresh Meat
What I'm worried about is these robots might confuse innocent people with the bad guys and kill those who've done nothing. However, if it will stop many casualties over there in Iraq, I'm all for it. :thumbsup:

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Rage against said:
They're remote controlled, right?

If they are, then couldn't the enemy "hack" the frequences and take over?

If they're not, what if they go crazy matrix style?

This poses a serious ethics problem
Some are remotely controlled, and they use a type of per-packet/per-session algorithm rotation. With the "Key" rotating on every packet/session. they can capture and decrypt all they want. They still won't get in.

As for the robotic ethics; there's actually an international organization in place, preparing ethics protocols. I forget the name, but read about it several months ago, when they had a summit in Australia.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
I am truly uncertain as to how I feel about this. I'm inclined to believe that if we use robots in war, then war will lose all passion and power. No longer will be fighting for our home country, or our brother next to us... We'll just be sending in metal machines.

Does anybody else see a problem with this? If there is no humanistic attatchment to war....

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
tbsrk said:
I am truly uncertain as to how I feel about this. I'm inclined to believe that if we use robots in war, then war will lose all passion and power. No longer will be fighting for our home country, or our brother next to us... We'll just be sending in metal machines.

Does anybody else see a problem with this? If there is no humanistic attatchment to war....
Oh ,we'll still be fighting for our homeland. But not as much reason to end it quickly.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
MaxPower said:
Oh ,we'll still be fighting for our homeland. But not as much reason to end it quickly.
I don't look at robots replacing our troops as more of being a tool for our troops.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
I believe that we should definitely have machines out there assisting our troops, but we should never eliminate the human element.

a) make sure the machines are able to be put out of operation by command or force by our armed troops. as stated: machines dont have a code of ethics. they malfunction, and we still take the heat for killing innocent civilians.

b) only make the robots designed to fight in combat situations, not do over-seize trained manual labor (nurses, janitorial services, etc). We've already lost enough jobs in the last 5 years + it wouldnt be cost effective anyway.

c) Provide a closed-circuit communications system for the robot to avoid infidel interference.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
MaxPower said:
_Kitana_ said:
I don't look at robots replacing our troops as more of being a tool for our troops.
I'm not sure how that comment corresponds to what I just said. However, not to worry; they're far from that. At the stage we're at now, they're way to expensive to lose. It's much cheaper to send a human. Sad but true.