WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines ronald reagan die. so ?

Call me an asshole, but i really dont give a shit this dude die. Unfortunaly i do not give a shit about any of this president has die in the past, they all are bunch of liers anyways.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
bullshit00 said:
Call me an asshole, but i really dont give a shit this dude die. Unfortunaly i do not give a shit about any of this president has die in the past, they all are bunch of liers anyways.
A person loses their life, it's a sad thing. The way he died was tough.

Yes, politians are self serving, and they do lie. But most people do the same...

Bullshyt

Devil Without A Cause
bullshit00, you are sick, get help.

magnolia

Postaholic
bullshit00 said:
everyone deserves respect after they die. I don't think that in thier attempt to honor him, that they respected him in the least.

red soviet

punks dead, stfu
why did it take so long for them to put him in the ground? :mfinger:

magnolia

Postaholic
cuz they're dumbfucks who want to "properly honor a fallen president". bla bla bla and all that shit.

e-chan

punk-ass kid
yeah, they dragged his corpse around the us for all to see like it was some exhibit, i found it offensive to say the least. i didn't know him (hell, i wasn't even BORN when he was in office), i wasn't hurt too bad when he died, but yes, he was totally disrespected in that sense. RIP is supposed to MEAN something. i hope nobody parades me around like that after i die.

tharuz

Bringer of Order
if im not in my country by the time of my end, id rather be cremated

GoalTaylor22

In The Flesh?
Jesus, lay the fuck off it. Ronald Reagan was one of the best presidents this country has ever seen. He knew who he was, was comfortable with it, he brought the end of communism, and was an uplifting spirit to our entire nation. The presidents we've had since are just shells of what he was. The fact is we may never see another president as good as he was, and now that he's passed on, I think he deserves to be remembered fondly.

And jesus christ, nobody made you watch the fucking funeral, did they?

stoj

arsehole
"and now that he's passed on, I think he deserves to be remembered fondly."

Give me a fucking break GoalTaylor22, it is so fucking disrespectful to pay homage to an idealised version of a person as oppossed to remembering them for who they truly were - good and bad. Now don't get me wrong Reagan wasn't too bad a president (policy aside), and he was a pretty cool guy all in all, but like everyone the guy fucked up. The shit thing about when a public figure dies (other than their passing) is that it suddenly becomes taboo to say anything 'negative' about them. Fuck that.

"he brought the end of communism"

Uh yeah sure he did. Hello China. Reagan happened to be president at the arse-end of the U.S.S.R.'s power - if it didn't collapse then it would have shortly afterward anyway. Granted he did take some steps towards it, but it takes more than a few meetings with Gorbachev, a non-existent high-tech weapons defence system and an uber-soundbite to fell an entire socioeconomic system. Sure the guy was an outspoken opponent of 'communism' (well depending on your definiton) and he took action against it, but he didn't single-handedly bring about destruction to it. Far from it.

"was an uplifting spirit to our entire nation"

Yeah two words: Iran and Contra. The U.S. constitution specifically states "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort." Blatently disregarding the constitution isn't exactly the most uplifting thing to the spirit of 'our entire nation' and the whole Iran/Contra deal fucking sucked. If Reagan's idea of bringing an end to 'communism' meant pissing on the constitution (and U.S. law) by illegally selling arms to an anti-american "terrorist state" (his words) to fund a guerrilla war on a 3rd world country by ex-nazi trained psychos then I think any sane person would be justified in saying "fuck that".

To quote an infamous eyewitness account of a 'liberating raid':
"Rosa had her breasts cut off. Then they cut into her chest and took out her heart. The men had their arms broken, their testicles cut off and their eyes poked out. They were killed by slitting their throats and pulling the tongue out through the slit."

Yeah real fucking uplifting.

Another problem with Reagan wasn't even his fault - he almost got assassinated. Wouldn't you know it, people stopped criticizing him (for the most part) as to not appear sympathetic (sound familiar?). And I'm not even going to go into the insanity of the whole "I have to confer with my wife's astrologist to make a decision" - what the fuck was with that shit? Depending on who you talk to the U.S. is still being fucked by his economic policies, but whatever...

Now don't get me wrong, like I said Reagan wasn't a complete dipshit - he was a great family man, an awesome actor and a pretty memorable president - but by idolising and embellishing his memory we are tarnishing his legacy. We have to look back on his life and just remember that the guy was a human being, he fucked up sometimes, anything less is disrespect for the man and those of us still lucky to be on this earth who can look at the people and events around us and learn from them to better not only our lives but the lives of those who come after us. I'm sure that's what Reagan would have wanted.

"The fact is we may never see another president as good as he was"

I certainly hope not...

GoalTaylor22

In The Flesh?
OK, Stoj, you really haven't said anything about Regan, just the pigfuckers that operated his "liberating raids". Yeah he made some mistakes in his policies, absolutely no president is exempt from that. And trying to use an assasination attempt as a reason that he wasn't criticized may have some validity, but the fact of the matter is that none of the actions he took during that time period were bad enough to really warrant any bullshit from the press. Anyways I'll talk more on this when I have the time, but I'll leave you with this for now: Reagan was one of the best preisdents that we ever had because of the man he was. He was an excellent family man, he had a good and fair personality, and all of our presidents since have been shells of the person that he was. Our longest-reigning president since his time? Clinton. Yeah, real quality of character there, not to mention his moral basis was self-explanatory. Think about it.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
GoalTaylor22 said:
OK, Stoj, you really haven't said anything about Regan, just the pigfuckers that operated his "liberating raids". Yeah he made some mistakes in his policies, absolutely no president is exempt from that. And trying to use an assasination attempt as a reason that he wasn't criticized may have some validity, but the fact of the matter is that none of the actions he took during that time period were bad enough to really warrant any bullshit from the press. Anyways I'll talk more on this when I have the time, but I'll leave you with this for now: Reagan was one of the best preisdents that we ever had because of the man he was. He was an excellent family man, he had a good and fair personality, and all of our presidents since have been shells of the person that he was. Our longest-reigning president since his time? Clinton. Yeah, real quality of character there, not to mention his moral basis was self-explanatory. Think about it.
All emotion, no substance, no facts.

It's about what they DO in office, NOT about their "personality". You should not be allowed to vote...

GoalTaylor22

In The Flesh?
So according to your line of thinking Hitler was a much better ruler than Reagan ever could have hoped to be. Is that what you're saying?

stoj

arsehole
"an excellent family man, he had a good and fair personality" - absolutely and the guy could act as well.

"made some mistakes in his policies, absolutely no president is exempt from that" - once again I completely agree.

"Reagan was one of the best preisdents that we ever had because of the man he was" - hmmmm well yeah he seemed like a pretty cool guy I'll give you that but like voiceofreason said it takes more than a good personality to be a good president. It's just one of those things. Voting is arguably the conerstone of U.S. politics and voters elect people whose duty it is to uphold the laws and constitution by granting them limited powers. This duty that rests with elected officials is sacrosanct not only because it is extremely fragile and abusable but because it represents the will of an entire nation - it is the american people placing their faith and trust in someone to carry forth the nation and protect and honour its institutions. It is the embodiment of the 'spirit of the entire nation' that you spoke of. That is not something to be lightly tossed about and conveniently abused and yet that is what Reagan did. Did he do this with good intentions? I have little doubt that he did but that does not excuse it. It's just my humble opinion but any president, or other elected official, that does not respect the faith placed in them by a trusting people cannot be a very good one. That's the real concern, public policy is a non-issue next to it.

And I hate to nitpick but last time I heard a president wasn't a 'ruler'. Then again if GWB's presidental (s)election is anything to go by I could be wrong ;)

okami

Fresh Meat
i didn't agree with everything Reagan might've said or did, but i did watch the funeral (and then the later service at his library), live from C-SPAN.

yesterday--more or less--the media started reporting that his son Ron made a veiled comment about little Bush's use of religion in politics during the service at the library. If they'd listened more closely during the Washington service, they'd have heard a more direct comment from him about the misuse of religion in politics.

'sides, Gorbachev was at the Washington service, just behind Nancy. This woulda been as unheard of (pre-1989) as the KKK getting a public service award from the NAACP. Even if Gorby's retired from politics, i've never seen anythin' like it.

The downside of it is that they've started REnaming everything again after Ron, like they did when he was prez. I wouldn't mind it if they built somethin' new, and THEN named it for 'im.

The bitch is, Ray Charles is gone too. Dammit.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
GoalTaylor22 said:
So according to your line of thinking Hitler was a much better ruler than Reagan ever could have hoped to be. Is that what you're saying?
No, that thought is running around in your mind. You've again missed the point...