WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Rumsfeld Defends Treatment of Prisoners

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld defended the military's handling of detained terror suspects Wednesday while acknowledging that some have been mistreated, "sometimes grievously." At a Pentagon news conference, Rumsfeld criticized Amnesty International, the human rights group, for calling the U.S. detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, "the gulag of our time." The group has urged the United States to close the prison, where about 540 men are held on suspicion of links to Afghanistan's ousted Taliban or the al-Qaida terror network. Some have been there for more than three years without charges.
-----------------------------------------------------
Amnesty International - Those bastards...
How can you defend imprisoning people for over three years without even telling them what they are charged with?

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Rumsfeld scares me. Such pure Evil, with good intentions, is hard to stomach. He acts like he'd do anything, and I mean anything, to keep America number one in the world in his mind.... like nuke any country, assassinate any dissidents, round up people for camps... you know Anything. :eek:

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
well, if i were rummy...instead of following the rules of war (by taking prisoners) i'd of spent my last dime on them with a bullet, mirroring the conduct of our enemies. gitmo prisoners are being held for interrogation-they're lucky to be alive. could be worse, what a moral predicament.

JLXC said:
Rumsfeld scares me. Such pure Evil, with good intentions, is hard to stomach. He acts like he'd do anything, and I mean anything, to keep America number one in the world in his mind.... like nuke any country, assassinate any dissidents, round up people for camps... you know Anything. :eek:
Then I wonder what he plans to do with Europe if France ever agrees to join the union. If Europe is completely united like they want they'll be a force rivaling us. I think it's something we need. America is so used to being number one in the world that we've forgotten what it's like to have to work for what we want. Now we're just using the see, want, take method.
As for the topic, there is no excuse for the treatment of the prisoners. If we want to prove that we are better than these people then we should give them fair treatment. Some of those people could be innocent, but because of this treatment they could end up hating our country like the guilty ones.

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
What a fucking mess. Every where you look, America is involved in some shitty fucking situation. :mad:

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
tiger_86 said:
Then I wonder what he plans to do with Europe if France ever agrees to join the union. If Europe is completely united like they want they'll be a force rivaling us. I think it's something we need. America is so used to being number one in the world that we've forgotten what it's like to have to work for what we want. Now we're just using the see, want, take method.
As for the topic, there is no excuse for the treatment of the prisoners. If we want to prove that we are better than these people then we should give them fair treatment. Some of those people could be innocent, but because of this treatment they could end up hating our country like the guilty ones.
What union is France to join now?

RetArt said:
What union is France to join now?
Sorry, I heard the wrong part of the news report on NPR. It wasn't until after I read the thread just now about the EU constitution that I realized that I had misunderstood. I thought the people of France were saying no to joining the EU because I came in at the end of the news report about Chirac (sp?) appointing some new member of government (can't remember what the position was).

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
tiger_86 said:
I thought the people of France were saying no to joining the EU because I came in at the end of the news report about Chirac
You weren't wrong.. The people of France said no to joining the EU...