WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Russia Developing New Nuclear Missile

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
MOSCOW - President Vladimir Putin (news - web sites) said Wednesday that Russia is developing a new form of nuclear missile unlike those held by other countries, news agencies reported.

LINK

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
That sucks, kinda. Either they're gonna use it sooner or later, and it's gonna kill millions of people; or they're not gonna use it, and it's gonna be a huge waste of money.

EMTPIXIE

Clitpickle
ChilianFuckFace said:
MOSCOW - President Vladimir Putin (news - web sites) said Wednesday that Russia is developing a new form of nuclear missile unlike those held by other countries, news agencies reported.

LINK
Why are they allowed to develop new nukes? Do they think they're more important than the rest of the world? Didn't we just go through this crap (and still kind of are) with Korea? WTF?

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
Ya, but north korea is much more of a threat than russia. they're hostile towards pretty much everyone and ruled under a very powerful and frankly, insane dictator.

plus, why would russia fire the nuke? think about it; that'd make no sense. potential power is greater than impacting power in the negotiating and reasoning world that is Western Civilization.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
EMTPIXIE said:
Why are they allowed to develop new nukes? Do they think they're more important than the rest of the world? Didn't we just go through this crap (and still kind of are) with Korea? WTF?
Yeah well the US develops nukes as well..

ferengi

Yay fire!
The nuclear bomb is the single most horrible invention of mankind. Why can't EVERYONE just disarm the shit? Nukes are going to be the end of this planet, and everyone's too damn stupid to see that. All it takes is ONE slip up, and ONE missile firing (or getting a dictator who's too big for his britches with control of nukes, and deciding he wants to single handedly take on the world). Then come the counter attacks, and counter attacks to those attacks... and before you know it, YAY!! Nuclear winter and the end of all life on Earth. Terrific.

Jung

???
Premium
They should paint little yellow ribbons on them.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
ferengi74656 said:
The nuclear bomb is the single most horrible invention of mankind. Why can't EVERYONE just disarm the shit? Nukes are going to be the end of this planet, and everyone's too damn stupid to see that. All it takes is ONE slip up, and ONE missile firing (or getting a dictator who's too big for his britches with control of nukes, and deciding he wants to single handedly take on the world). Then come the counter attacks, and counter attacks to those attacks... and before you know it, YAY!! Nuclear winter and the end of all life on Earth. Terrific.
We already have enough nukes to completely destroy the entire Earth... to blast it completely apart.

It's a fucking shame.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
It would be great if countries would all just disarm their nuclear warheads and construct a law that bans them. It´s just so sad that some countries have not joined the "no nukes"-club..
Even common sense saysits not fair that some country is allowed to have weapons of mass destruction, and some aren´t. Laws should be equal for all.. And before all isnt it hypocritical for some country to invade another, just because they think they might have some of the weapons the attacker is having..?

"Balance of fear" drives people to develop more and more terrible weapons. "If we have this they dont dare to attack us.."

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
LiberatioN said:
Ya, but north korea is much more of a threat than russia. they're hostile towards pretty much everyone and ruled under a very powerful and frankly, insane dictator.

plus, why would russia fire the nuke? think about it; that'd make no sense. potential power is greater than impacting power in the negotiating and reasoning world that is Western Civilization.

I don't trust russia. Remember they were on Germany side in WWII when it first started. They were bent on ruling the world right a long with hitler.They were a great factor in the reason Poland fell so fast. That and the polish army was not geared for mondern war time, but had two majior countries sweep in and destroy it.

Poland was then to be divided up, but one of Hitler's greatest mistake was betraying Russia early on in the war. Italy was also on Germany's side, however when we hit the beaches of Italy they tossed notes and shouted we your allies of WWI stand ready to fight with you. It was really only their leader.

Russia also was a huge threat back in the 60's and came very close to bring us to the edge of a nuclar war. The COLD WAR? It is the reason we have so many nukes now... Now they are working on developing a new kind of nuke? Surely they must have some plan for using it or a reason for wanting to develop it... I mean honestly Russia in itself is a very unstable country.

History is doom to repeat itself if you don't pay close attention to it. I have a fear though if there is another cold war.... its almost unimaginable to think of that. We would destroy ourselves.

RetArt said:
It would be great if countries would all just disarm their nuclear warheads and construct a law that bans them. It´s just so sad that some countries have not joined the "no nukes"-club..
Even common sense saysits not fair that some country is allowed to have weapons of mass destruction, and some aren´t. Laws should be equal for all.. And before all isnt it hypocritical for some country to invade another, just because they think they might have some of the weapons the attacker is having..?

"Balance of fear" drives people to develop more and more terrible weapons. "If we have this they dont dare to attack us.."
Why this is a nice thought. It sadly can not really work that way. We have nukes now... And america has taken great lenghts to disarm them back in the 90's cutting them almost in half along with russia. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I remember them making a big deal of it in south dakota and north dakota cause we was removing our nukes that were pointed at russia from here.

Balance of power is good, but if that balance is tilted such as its being done now... then it tends to lead to corruption. More to speak russia is trying to become more powerful. This is kind of the thing that Hittler did. Slowly started building up his army...

We will see what unfolds with this. Intresting nonetheless.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said it wasn't news to the Bush administration, and that President Bush (news - web sites) and Putin had discussed the issue previously. He emphasized there were agreements in place to reduce the two countries' nuclear arsenals and noted Moscow is now a partner in the war on terrorism. (Wait Back Up)
:confused: Russia with us now.... Something not right here and I truly do not like this. :/

He said it was, firstly, unique and, secondly, capable of defeating any space-based defense system, which is clearly putting the spotlight on the anti-missile of the United States," Langton said.
:yikes: So am I taking this as them kind of threatening us? Guys this is pretty freaky....

McClellan suggested that close ties between Bush and Putin makes alarm unnecessary — but doesn't eliminate Washington's concern.
Doesn't eliminate my concern either.... :indiff:

Razine

Chaotic Smacktard
ahh nuclear arms, the end of us all, nuclear fallout blotting out then sun, radiation giving veryone cancer, just kinda puts you in the christmas spirit dont it?

Bigbee

Fresh Meat
not sure if I trust the USA...

Maybe it just that I'm from Canada, but this just seems like another attempt to scapegoat countries other than the United States, which obviously plays a role in the security of all other nations in the world. What I mean is this. This story originally surfaced about 6 months ago, I believe in the British newpaper The Guardian. The story claimed that Russia was developing this new weapon in direct response the space-based weapon missile defense system proposed by the Bush administration. The wepon proposed by russia will overwhelm missile defense by simply going too fast to be shot down. Further, as another post mentioned, the US is actively developing new nuclear weapons, remember the "bunker-buster" ideas? Why do you think that NASA just released footage of their new rocket that can fly at 10-times the speed of sound? If you read the report which conceptualizes possible uses of space-based weapondry, one of the suggestions is to be able to drop bars of metal from space onto any target in the world. Is it any wonder Russia is reacting?

The fact is that the military-industrial complex of the United States is the direct benefactors of nuclear weapons development. Thus, as this administration exemplifies, they will not tolerate anything but further increases to the military budget. Furthermore, since the end of the Cold war, these increases have been increasingly hard to justify. Why do you think that the States is always at war with a noun? During the cold war it was "war against communism" then the "war on drugs" now the "war on terrorism". These allowed the invasions of Vietnam, El Salvador/Columbia, and Iraq respectively. The return of another nuclear-armed superpower would allow policy-makers to return to the easier system of blaming a more cohesive and tangable enemy, to distract Americans from real social issues and inflate the military government. It doesn't therefore suprise me that one of Bushie's first acts as president was to abandon the bilateral agreements with russia about nuclear development and disarmament.

Although the threat from nuclear weapons is real, but let's not forget that the US is the only country in the world to ever use these weapons in combat, and furthermore they were used on a civilian population. Also let's not forget that instead after the fall of the Iron curtain, the Regan administration did nothing to help Russia secure its nuclear arsenal.

The problem of nuclear proliferation is serious, and requires multinational solutions. The States should use it's considerable influence to acheive these goals for greater global security. As a citizen of Canada, I have no influence over these issues, except to oppose Canada's participation in any weaponization of space. I urge all of you to write congressmen and senators, organize against any further weapon development, nuclear or otherwise.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
_Kitana_ said:
I don't trust russia. Remember they were on Germany side in WWII when it first started. They were bent on ruling the world right a long with hitler.They were a great factor in the reason Poland fell so fast. That and the polish army was not geared for mondern war time, but had two majior countries sweep in and destroy it.

Poland was then to be divided up, but one of Hitler's greatest mistake was betraying Russia early on in the war. Italy was also on Germany's side, however when we hit the beaches of Italy they tossed notes and shouted we your allies of WWI stand ready to fight with you. It was really only their leader.

Russia also was a huge threat back in the 60's and came very close to bring us to the edge of a nuclar war. The COLD WAR? It is the reason we have so many nukes now... Now they are working on developing a new kind of nuke? Surely they must have some plan for using it or a reason for wanting to develop it... I mean honestly Russia in itself is a very unstable country.

History is doom to repeat itself if you don't pay close attention to it. I have a fear though if there is another cold war.... its almost unimaginable to think of that. We would destroy ourselves.

Why this is a nice thought. It sadly can not really work that way. We have nukes now... And america has taken great lenghts to disarm them back in the 90's cutting them almost in half along with russia. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I remember them making a big deal of it in south dakota and north dakota cause we was removing our nukes that were pointed at russia from here.

Balance of power is good, but if that balance is tilted such as its being done now... then it tends to lead to corruption. More to speak russia is trying to become more powerful. This is kind of the thing that Hittler did. Slowly started building up his army...

:confused: Russia with us now.... Something not right here and I truly do not like this. :/

:yikes: So am I taking this as them kind of threatening us? Guys this is pretty freaky....

You're so dumb. During WWII, the USSR was lead by Stalin. Now it's not the USSR, it's Russia, and it's not Stalin, it's Putin. Don't compare Russia to the second world war USSR you tool. During the Cold-War, if the world came close to an nuclear war, it's because of BOTH sides. You seem to think that the US has always been good, and its ennemies were always evil. "Good guys vs Bad guys" eh? Did you know that the US has funded dictatorships in central and south america during the Cold War to put a stop to social democracy? This has ravaged countries like nicaragua, el salvador, guatemala.. Fucking lighten up, the US aren't little angels and its ennemies aren't bloody demons. You sound so freakin dumb blaming Russia for the Cold-War and the nuclear weapons race.

_Kitana_ said:
More to speak russia is trying to become more powerful. This is kind of the thing that Hittler did. Slowly started building up his army...
Are you fucking retarded ??? Lead by the Bush administration, the US is trying to become more powerful EVERY FUCKING DAY.. the defense spendings of the US are well over 350 BILLION$, the second place country is either China or Russia with something like 75 billion. If a country would raise their defense spendings to 400 billion, would you get your panties in a Bunch?Oh my God, they're trying to be more powerful than us!!!They're building up a bipolar world in wich we would be the second best! THAT'S SO EVYL!!!!!!

Jung

???
Premium
_Kitana_ said:

I just saw this and had a great big laugh. Thanks for the comedic relief. But on a serious note; that's really really sad. :(

Also, Rage against everything pretty much summed up what I had to say.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
The only thing more dangerous than any of these weapons is the proliferation of war mongering hatred induced by fear. Remember, its not the weapon that kills, its people. No one should be frightened, rather you should be appaulled. You're being toyed with like a pet. If given useless choices, are you really apart of the process? Pacification.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
Rage against You're so dumb. During WWII said:
Stalin[/U]. Now it's not the USSR, it's Russia, and it's not Stalin, it's Putin. Don't compare Russia to the second world war USSR you tool. During the Cold-War, if the world came close to an nuclear war, it's because of BOTH sides. You seem to think that the US has always been good, and its ennemies were always evil. "Good guys vs Bad guys" eh? Did you know that the US has funded dictatorships in central and south america during the Cold War to put a stop to social democracy? This has ravaged countries like nicaragua, el salvador, guatemala.. Fucking lighten up, the US aren't little angels and its ennemies aren't bloody demons. You sound so freakin dumb blaming Russia for the Cold-War and the nuclear weapons race.
No shit but changing a few letters in your name does not change the country itself or the way those people think. I never said Russia was to blame for nuclear weapons, it was both sides. However them wanting to put nukes in Cuba is what brought us extremely close to a nuclear war. I never said America was perfect Angels, we have done our share of wrong doing. But to say Russia is a stable country is a laugh and a half. Its really sad you missed the fucking point. Like I said I have a fear if its another cold war that we will not talk ourselves out of it. Not blaming Russia. Just stating what I fear.

Are you fucking retarded ??? Lead by the Bush administration, the US is trying to become more powerful EVERY FUCKING DAY.. the defense spendings of the US are well over 350 BILLION$, the second place country is either China or Russia with something like 75 billion.
You know if you developing a new weapon like the world has never seen. Does it matter how much someone spends on old weapons? Think outside the fucking box you blind sheep Russia is struggling to become more powerful. There is SOME reason THEY are working on making a new kind of nuke, be it that bush has stated he wanted to make a defense system in the sky or what not. It something to be somewhat worried about. I don’t think Bush or the leader after him will be strong enough to talk us out of a nuclear war like JFK.

If a country would raise their defense spendings to 400 billion, would you get your panties in a Bunch?Oh my God, they're trying to be more powerful than us!!!They're building up a bipolar world in wich we would be the second best! THAT'S SO EVYL!!!!!!
Nope I just fear what a country like Russia would do with that new found power. Not such a dumb thing to be worried about.

junglizm said:
I just saw this and had a great big laugh. Thanks for the comedic relief. But on a serious note; that's really really sad. :(

Also, Rage against everything pretty much summed up what I had to say.
You sir are whats really really sad. You know I never claim America to be perfect. In fact had we acted sooner in WWII that we would of been able to save millions of millions of people's lives.

I know my history. Its about the only fucking thing I was extremly smart in. I know and believe history is doom to repeat itself. So open your eyes and think alittle. Rather then just trying to blame Bush for EVERYTHING.

outsideR

Clitpickle
_Kitana_ said:
No shit but changing a few letters in your name does not change the country itself or the way those people think.
In fact the whole system has changed since the Soviet Union ended. Communism is gone and replaced with a democratic system. They are struggling on demoracy, yes. But the system and counrty are not at all the same.

You know if you developing a new weapon like the world has never seen. Does it matter how much someone spends on old weapons? Think outside the fucking box you blind sheep Russia is struggling to become more powerful. There is SOME reason THEY are working on making a new kind of nuke, be it that bush has stated he wanted to make a defense system in the sky or what not. It something to be somewhat worried about. I don’t think Bush or the leader after him will be strong enough to talk us out of a nuclear war like JFK.
Anyone capable to do that would. Wanna know why? 'Cause there's a wild retarded idiot leading the most powerful country of all.

Nope I just fear what a country like Russia would do with that new found power. Not such a dumb thing to be worried about.
My country has more than 1000km of border wit Russia and I'm not shitting my pants. MY country has been in war with the Soviets and my late grandfather was fighting them in WWII, still I'm not shitting my pants. What's your reason to worry about them? I know they won't launch the first missile or nuke...

You sir are whats really really sad. You know I never claim America to be perfect. In fact had we acted sooner in WWII that we would of been able to save millions of millions of people's lives.
Dropping nukes on Japan did't save lives. Or does it not count when an enemy solider dies? In fact million is so much people, you could never have saved that much. In fact I've heard a rumour that people in fact die in wars, not get saved. Well it's a matter of the definition of getting saved...

I know my history. Its about the only fucking thing I was extremly smart in. I know and believe history is doom to repeat itself. So open your eyes and think alittle. Rather then just trying to blame Bush for EVERYTHING.
I've heard they don't teach history so very precisely over there... What you are taught to think is USA is powerful, USA is good. USA has never harmed innocent people. It's good to be American... Bullshit!

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
outsideR said:
I've heard they don't teach history so very precisely over there... What you are taught to think is USA is powerful, USA is good. USA has never harmed innocent people. It's good to be American... Bullshit!
Actually for the most part you are right here. However we are not taught US is good, USA is great.

But before I hit on that let me clarify a few things first. One. I am not worried about Russia shooting or firing the first nuke. I am worried about where this leads. I realize that Russia has diffrent political system, but a history of a country is important when study a current government. Also lets get another thing straight I am just not worried about Russia here, my own government is something I am kind of concerned with as well. How Bush is handling this as if it was something minor. We already have the means to blow up the Earth, what are we advancing those means for?

Second of all. The USA could of saved the lives of how many Jewish people. Hitler was offering about 120,000. We declined them coming here. We sent them back. Along with England and France. Then a large number of Jewish people made it to America seeking safety, we sent them back. That’s when England, France and I forget the other countries said that they would take 200 and another country would take a 100 and so forth. Only the Jewish people in England survived.

At the start of WWII had America help fund Britain and France better the out come might of been different, but the American people were blind back then. We didn't really like the Jewish people anymore then the Germans. So when reports of the being killed came out, we ignored them. When Churchill begged for us to help fund him. To give him some kind of weapons, ships aid. We made him pay up front. At that time the American people believed in Isolation. Meaning, that it was over in Europe in not in the USA. So we DID NOTHING. Thus allowing Hitler to invade more and more country. We completely ignored the cries for help over there. Thus allowing more concentration camps to be set up. More massive murdering. Look at Poland? I do realize America was in a depression but I will never understand how our government could of sat and did nothing for so long. American soldier’s actually went over to France and England. To try and help fight the war before America was even involved in it. Many of them lost their life fighting under a different military. The whole course of the war would of taken a completely different rout had America been willing to enter sooner. It may have even ended sooner, it may have saved millions of people lives.

March 12, 1938 Hitler starts to occupied Austria
Nov. 10 1938 - Kristallnacht in Germany. The true start of the Holocaust. However Hitler had already started murdering thousand of Jehovah Whiteness…
We did not enter the war till December 8, 1941. The day after the bombing of pearl harbor. It took us a year or better after that. In which we can thank the Brits for having a strong leaders and holding off the forces, why we worked our asses off to build an army and defenses.

When Hitler invaded Poland. Britain, France, Amsterdam, Australia and New Zealand issued a 'back-off' last warning to Hitler, which was ignored. They then declared war on Germany on September 3, 1939. On September 5, 1939 the USA declares its neutrality much to the dismay of our allies. On September 10, Canada declares war on Germany. Somewhere around June 10, 1940 fascist Italy declares war on Britain and France. December 7, 1941 Japan declares war on America. December 8, 1941 America declares war on Japan, thus leading to the entrance into WWII. December 11, 1941 Germany and fascist Italy declare war on America.
September 8, 1943 fascist Italy surrenders. October 13, 1943 Italy declares war on Germany.
April 19, 1945, German forces in Italy surrender. May 8, 1945 Germany surrenders, (VE day). September 2, 1945 Japan surrenders, (VJ day).

Now its important to note why America had to go to such extreme measure to drop two bombs on Japan. Let me put it this way, it is in Japanese culture to never to Surrender. We had to weigh the cost. Japan would not surrender and left us no choice but to take extreme action. We sacrificed the lives of so many people to save millions of other peoples lives. Had we not of done that, it is quite possible that we could still be at war today. Japanese fighter pilots to be honest were your first suicide bombers. They believed in death before surrender or being captured. It was an honorable thing to take your own life rather then be captured. Why do you think in Corregidor and Bataan they were so harsh on our P.O.W.S. They marched our men to death. They cut of their heads. The things they did to our POW is UNIMAGINABLE. Read the book Ghost Soldiers. It is a sad tale. That is often not told. It will tell you how they lit them on fire and torture beyond comprehension.

They don’t teach that in history class. In fact hardly any of the stuff I stated above do they teach in American History. They Refuse to teach the history on Korea or Vietnam and even WWI and WWII. Our history never gets to far passed the American Revolution. In which they spend a whole year teaching in American history. Then after that it leads into the Indians and culture with them. Our world history focus more on kings and queens kind of things, which is vastly important, but it is never an in depth look though. They try to give you a brief overview and may be they will hit slightly on what happened in WWI and WWII.

I have went to great lengths. Partly because of my mother to study WWII history. From both American viewpoint and the European view point. As of right now I am trying to educate myself more on the Korean war. I would like to learn more what went on there. I am also struggling to find good information on the Vietnam War. However, they only give the side of the protesters really and not a good really good in depth look that went on with the war itself.

Bring me back to the point that American History teachers do not struggle enough to show us our own history, at least in high school. It is sad that history is often times over looked and ignored. So no my love from history and my knowledge on it did not come from school. I went and researched and read many books. I mean by the time I was in 3rd grade I could tell you all about pearl harbor and the deaths of the men there. My mother, I wish some of you could meet her. She is truly an awesome person. She is kind of a shamed of me though, I am no where near as smart as she is. She out scored College professors and scored up in the top 5% of the American population in a placement test. Her mathematics was her lowest score in still made it into the top 10%. She did not realize that why taking the test she could ask for scratch paper to work her problems out. They were going to fund her to go to college, but she had two kids at home and Jesse living with us. She had house taxes and a lot of other things and she couldn’t afford it. Thus a brilliant mind like her that could be able to give such a wonderful gift of knowledge to so many kind of goes to waste. Kind of hurts sometimes though to look at her and realize you are the reason she does not have a better life. To know she sacrificed so much for you and you have yet to do anything to make her proud.

Notes I left out some facts on the cold war. Not my strongest subject. So I did some research and these are not in my words.

WWII was followed by the Cold War in which Soviet led Eastern European nations and American led Western nations were on unfriendly terms. The two sides entered into an arms race to try to determine who would be the most powerful. In the Soviet Union the Cold War also resulted in heavy censoring of artistic work such as painting, literature and music. Art was supposed to glorify communist Soviet Union.

After Stalins death Khrushchev attained the leadership position. Khrushev admitted that Stalin had wrongly convicted people during the purges. Khrushev did not try to repeat the totalitarian nature of Stalin's rule, although he did have considerable power. This weakening of dictatorial power was a trend that continued until Mikhail Gorbachev came to rule in 1985. Gorbachev promoted perestroika and glasnost. The Soviet economy was not doing well and Gorbachev saw this as a way to help the economy. However, he did not intend to completely drop socialism. Gorbachev also tried to help the economy by working to improve worker discipline and fighting alcoholism. Alcoholism was a serious problem and Gorbachev's attacks against it were unpopular and did not last. The changes Gorbachev enacted led the country into reforms that Gorbachev had not sought. Gorbachev's rule ended on Christmas Day 1991 with the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

outsideR

Clitpickle
Just a brief comment on that, don't want to shoot all off-topic...
For me, those facts you stated about WWII are well familiar, we are taught that stuff at school. In high school WWII history was one of my favourite subjects, otherwise I've always preferred mathemathics and stuff. But WWII hit us Finns so close... Damn we were a part of it, all the way from '39 to '45! Did you know that? It's good to know that basic stuff no matter where you live.
It's a shame your history teaching is so selective. How can you really form a picture of the world today without understanding the international relations during WWII and WWI too?
I still think nukes were too extreme for the situation with Japan at the time. Those are still the only times a real bad ass nuke has been dropped on one's enemy. I think it was a test, a test if nukes were any good or not. I don't think the ones in charge ever understood how extreme it would be. Just a new kind of bomb that should be quite powerful...
Today's world is different. Russia has too much to lose, they don't dare to do anything stupid, since they could easily be kicked out of all international business. Unlike USA with the veto-right and everything, you are immortal no matter what you do. If only Americans had a better picture of the world's political situation now and in the past, understood these things, I'm sure Bush would never have been re-elected.
When Finland and USSR made peace after WWII, one of their demands was Finland never to develope nukes. We have sticked to that even if the other party of that contract no more exists. If only all nukes would have been banned before everyone started to have them. It's so very difficult now.