WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Russia

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
I´d like to know your thoughts on Russia and it´s current development..

As you all must know the president there is Vladimir Putin. A former member of the KGB. He lead the FSB (KGB re-united ;) )to the year 1999.

He has done everything to bring up the russian nationalism. People are wearing Putin-shirts, gatherings are held, all in all, it´s a cult. Putin decided to change Russias national anthem. Now it is again "International", the same that the Soviets used.

Theres the war in Chechnya. Illegal. Inhumane. Wrong.

Heres the new part. It appears that the Russian governement is taxing the newspapers so hard, they have all faced / are facing bankrupcy. To avoid this the owners sell the newspapers to the GOVERNMENT. All of the major newspapers are selling. This leads to lack of freedom of speach. If government presses and owns the newspapers there probably isnt much critisicm on the government. News can be manipulated. Propagandha will rise to a new level..

But then again its not that much different from your freedom-of-speach in the US ;) Murdoch..

Oh and lately Russia has repeteadly violated Finnish aerospace. This is not nice.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
What, do you want America to come protect Finnish Airspace?

Or perhaps free the Russian people from their bankrupt newspapers?

Brain Spout

Wizard No More

yeh, russia is cool. i dont really care if they blow up finland.

/sarcasm, i know you are finnish (is that really how you say it, sounds weird to me)

bombchu

b-o-n-e-r
WizardlyFriend said:

yeh, russia is cool. i dont really care if they blow up finland.

/sarcasm, i know you are finnish (is that really how you say it, sounds weird to me)
AHHH MOTHERLAND!!

rofl,

Anyhow, its about time for russia to come around like this isn't it?

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
My feelings on Russia? Every few years a hot tennis player comes from there that makes me feel kind of like when I climbed the rope in boot camp.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Oi-oi-oi.

The last thing I want is for US troops to come protect Finland. We´d be better off with Russia.

What´s new about that? Well the newspapers are formerly owned by individual companies, with individual thoughts and no cencorship.
also new is that Russia seems to be getting on to the leader-pof-the-world train again.. After all, they beated Germany in WWII and have some of the most sophisticated weapons ever created. They also have smallbox-bacteria (only US and Russia have it stored as it was extinct in 1991(?) or smthn).

Russia isn´t going to attack Finland. We are in very good relations. Practically no-one else in Europe is, not to mention USA. It´s just theater.

To characterize the country I´d say it´s an old, calculating, manipulative general.
Usa would be a 20-year-old marine, just anxious to show off for the world. Arrogant, ignorant and plastic.

Stardust

Being naked just feels so a-peeling
Maybe team america will think there are terrorists in russia and they attack..then the whole world gets pissed off at (team) america. The last thing we need is america to go to russia..they arent a threat..I think Putin is a good president..of what Ive heard..but no1's perfect..and i really don't have a point here..I'm just bored.. And happy that some1 is from finland 2 :)

Personally I think Putin is a good leader, many of my russian friends agree. While many inside and outside of Russia are suspicious of his motives at least Russian morale is going up.

R

RedOctober

Well... Look at the facts. After the downfall of communism in Russia their economy crashed into a maffia like anarchy pit.
Capitalism doesn't function anyway, see the nearly broke USA.

So Putin goes back to square one, and takes care of stability.
The tribes in the south were always a pain in the ass of Russia.
Somewhat the same as when the Mexicans would ride into the USA every day, loot villages and rape the women.

Well, I really liked the way Dubbya had to watch the military parade on the Red Square in Moscow :p
The signal was very clear. Don't fuck with us.

About the freedom of the press.
Nobody can deny there are problems with the quality of the press in Russia.
There are well known papers on the internet, that have ridiculous stories.
This is hurting the image of Russia, and I wonder why they are not taken out yet.

Somewhat the same as when the Washinton Post would write the earth were flat.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
The war in chechnya is wrong.

But Poutine is a strong leader and I like the way he fights the oligarchs.

Descent

Hella Constipated
RetArt said:
I´d like to know your thoughts on Russia and it´s current development..

As you all must know the president there is Vladimir Putin. A former member of the KGB. He lead the FSB (KGB re-united ;) )to the year 1999.

He has done everything to bring up the russian nationalism. People are wearing Putin-shirts, gatherings are held, all in all, it´s a cult. Putin decided to change Russias national anthem. Now it is again "International", the same that the Soviets used.

Theres the war in Chechnya. Illegal. Inhumane. Wrong.

Heres the new part. It appears that the Russian governement is taxing the newspapers so hard, they have all faced / are facing bankrupcy. To avoid this the owners sell the newspapers to the GOVERNMENT. All of the major newspapers are selling. This leads to lack of freedom of speach. If government presses and owns the newspapers there probably isnt much critisicm on the government. News can be manipulated. Propagandha will rise to a new level..

But then again its not that much different from your freedom-of-speach in the US ;) Murdoch..

Oh and lately Russia has repeteadly violated Finnish aerospace. This is not nice.
Chernobyl II: When Shitty RBMK Reactors Strike Back!

Even though the new RBMK retrofits make them very safe...

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
A finnish research revealed that chernobyl happened because they were asked to test what would happen if they shut everything down. This was also upposed to be tested in Sosnovyj Bor. They refused.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
Well... Look at the facts. After the downfall of communism in Russia their economy crashed into a maffia like anarchy pit.
Capitalism doesn't function anyway, see the nearly broke USA.
Communism doesn't work, see inherent human greed...

R

RedOctober

DanGeo23 said:
Communism doesn't work, see inherent human greed...
You mean capitalizm? :rolleyes:

Communism in the Breznjev era had a lot in common with the way the USA is governed today... With Dick Cheney as head of the Politburo. :D

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
RetArt said:
The last thing I want is for US troops to come protect Finland. We´d be better off with Russia.

What´s new about that? Well the newspapers are formerly owned by individual companies, with individual thoughts and no cencorship.
also new is that Russia seems to be getting on to the leader-pof-the-world train again.. After all, they beated Germany in WWII and have some of the most sophisticated weapons ever created. They also have smallbox-bacteria (only US and Russia have it stored as it was extinct in 1991(?) or smthn).
your english used to be much better than this ret, what happened? i flippantly stated, "what's new about that?" because there is nothing new. each time something goes awry old russia re-emerges in policy. and hey, if you want to become the greater part of russia, be my guest. though i doubt you'd remain great or a part of russia for long. ;)

oh and someone said communism and capitalism are very similar...not true in theory.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Errare humane est and that shit gurlg.

When you dont sleep for few days your grammar starts to slip.

We dont want Russia. I just stated that I am not fond on the US troops either.
We´ve been under the Russian empire. Before that under the Swedish empire. Finland gained independence in 1917 December the 6th.

How come this turned into a discussion about communism and capitalism?
I´m not saying that is a bad thing though :)

Continue