WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Russian movie dubbing ?!

Bibas

That's Illogical.
Oh geez, i was just chatting with my friend (from Russia), and we were talking about movies, and stuff - 'cause i was wonderin' if all (or most) of the 'western' movies were allowed to be played in Russia. And the guy said, that yeah, most of them are, BUT they're all with russian dubbing ! AND there was NOTHING weird, nor wrong in it for him !..well, hard to be, because he had NEVER even seen ONE fuckng movie, without russian dubbing ! Can you imagine ?! I understand subtitles, there's NOTHING wrong with that, but your favourite movie in RUSSIAN ?! It's..it's...Jesus ! I can't even express my self with words !!! Just try to imagine, for example...i don't know...Gandalf ! Speaking in russian ! Or Neo, or Vader, or Hicks ! If you'd be listening to a wav. file, you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference betwen Stalin and Cpt. Jack Sparrow, from the fucking 'Pirates of the Caribbean' !!! Now, what's wrong with them ?! That's just fucking SICK, and it's totally normal for russian comunity, 'cause they don't even have a chance to watch the movie in it's original language ! Aaaaa !!...

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
That's sort of like Japanese cartoons that are very popular in America. Like DragonBall-Z. I heard that Japanese it contains many sex jokes but in the translation to English it gets changed.

Bibas

That's Illogical.
Kinda..but if it does contain 'sex jokes' and similar stuff, then it has to be censored, otherwise, the tv-staion could have some problems...and still - it's only tv cartoon translation, if a foreign language movie is played in US cinema, then it still has the subtitles, aye ? (not counting the cartoon-like movies)

skylinec

Somewhere in the Between
Well, If the show is in Russia and also in the U.S.A. whats the use of filming the show in "English" the "Russian". Have you ever seen Amélie? Entire movie in subtitles. Very well made.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
hah, I HATE watching dubbed movies...I live in Quebec wich is a French province in Canada and at the videostore you can either rent a movie in its original language, or dubbed in French. And god, it sounds so cheesy when its dubbed .. "Luke...Je suis ton père" (I am your father) ----> hahahaha..it's just gay. (They're dubbed in France French, not Quebec French wich I'm used to, kinda like the the difference between England and American accents)

I have the Cowboy Bebop movie, which totally isn't the greatest, unless if you turn on the subtitles, even while it's in English. It's like an entirely different story, and reminds you of the art they attempted to create before America got it and made it corny.

Bibas

That's Illogical.
Uh...sky, your post is just too smart for me, i'm too stupid to understand it. But the rest of the guys got the general idea :p . It's like Rage against said - i've seen a bit of The Lord of the Rings in russian version. And i tell, you, after just 5 minutes, i was like oh my fucking GOD....when Gandalf was just about to fall from the bridge in Moria ? "Pobiezajtu, pobiezajtu, bo vas ubijut" (It supposed to be "Run you fools", but the russians made it "Run, run, or you'll get killed"). Tha's just...uh, no comment.

that's pretty common - a lot of people don't like subtitles because it takes their eyes off the action

and if he's been watching them his whole life, then the lack of lip sync wouldn't bother him

and it's actually "fly, you fools" if you watch it with subtitles. i know it sounds like run, but it's fly.

Bibas

That's Illogical.
Ok, let it be "fly". But a common russian, is not watching subtitles through his whole life, because he doesn't even have a chance ! His only choice is : "Dubbing - On / Subtitles - Off / Original Language - Off."

DIZNUTS

Ñúñ'§ þêG £ègGéÐ /\/\å±ëý
heh im russian :mfinger: and i lived in philly for what.......12 yrs now.....i've seen russian dubbed movies and they have massive jokes in it....especially LOTR lol but i still preffer hearing it in english