S-Video and my Graphics Card

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
Okay, i got an Nvidia graphics card that is capable of me putting the image on my television (by capabel i mean there is a little hole on the back of my computer designed for this). i tried running a cable from it to my video in thing on my TV, but it didnt work. do i need a special cable because im just using these very standard cables from an audio system from long ago (they worked when connecting a device to my TV. i have this device that allows multiple feeds to go into it and then you hit buttons to switch b/t the feeds. i got an xbox, ps2, vcr, and dvd player hooked up. however, i can play dvds on the tv i want to figure out how to put my computer on the tv. one main reason being to play dvds, also i want to play some computer games on the tv, cause that would be fun.

if you have any idea of what i am talking about please give me some detailed instructions. thankyou :)

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
WizardlyFriend said:
Okay, i got an Nvidia graphics card that is capable of me putting the image on my television (by capabel i mean there is a little hole on the back of my computer designed for this). i tried running a cable from it to my video in thing on my TV, but it didnt work. do i need a special cable because im just using these very standard cables from an audio system from long ago (they worked when connecting a device to my TV. i have this device that allows multiple feeds to go into it and then you hit buttons to switch b/t the feeds. i got an xbox, ps2, vcr, and dvd player hooked up. however, i can play dvds on the tv i want to figure out how to put my computer on the tv. one main reason being to play dvds, also i want to play some computer games on the tv, cause that would be fun.

if you have any idea of what i am talking about please give me some detailed instructions. thankyou :)

I believe you need an S-Video cable. They are cheap, just go pick one up at walmart.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
thankyou jung for the good response. the problem was that i always connected the wires after my computer was on. plus i didnt really know what i was doing. anyway it worked. id put up a picture, but its too large and im too lazy to downsize it.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Junglizm said:
You have to turn that feature on. http://www.svideo.com/compaq1700.html

Just fyi, your TV will display your desktop and most games like crap. The pixels on TVs are much larger and the resolutions are a different ratio.

Yeah, I prefer ATi's TV-Out. nVidia's is stellar, but ATI's is unmatched, IMO. They allow you to increase the sharpness, and freeze the dot movement so the TV has no "rain effect," and it looks like a shit monitor. Acutally, I can read my desktop fine at 800x600 on my 9700 Pro. My TV is a fairly-decent Apex AT2200 20" monophonic TV. $120 at CompUSA - I love this TV to death. It has a shitload of features I'll never use, such as the G.O.P. chip (VChip).

In fact, even my PCI Rage Pro I'm going to use for my DOS box has good composite TV-Out. Nowhere near my Radeon's, but very nice for the chipset's age (1997). The Rage series were really advanced for their time, but they were slow until they recieved good driver builds.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
Yeah, I prefer ATi's TV-Out. nVidia's is stellar, but ATI's is unmatched, IMO. They allow you to increase the sharpness, and freeze the dot movement so the TV has no "rain effect," and it looks like a shit monitor. Acutally, I can read my desktop fine at 800x600 on my 9700 Pro.
I tried that with an 9600 (iirc) and a 42" non digital TV a few years back, it sucked. Text is horrible looking and you'll never find a good full screen resolution. It's much better on digital TVs though, especially ones that down scan.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Junglizm said:
I tried that with an 9600 (iirc) and a 42" non digital TV a few years back, it sucked. Text is horrible looking and you'll never find a good full screen resolution. It's much better on digital TVs though, especially ones that down scan.

Was it an off brand? I had a VisionTek 9600XT that had stellar TV out, even better than my Sapphire 9700 Pro.

That thing had TSOP RAM though :lol:.

Descent

Hella Constipated
JNG said:
I believe it was an OEM.

If it was a GeCube or a Connect3D a TNT2 would probobly run faster and last longer than those guys.

Hell, a turd stuck in an AGP slot would be faster.

GeCube makes ONE good model, the 9550XT. But, it has shit EtronTech RAM, like my Sapphire!

My AOpen TNT2 Pro is going on six years old, and it still kicks :D.