WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

sad stephen hawking story

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Hawking talking with his blinks

Professor Hawking delivers lectures at Cambridge University

Disabled scientist Professor Stephen Hawking is using a hi-tech gadget to communicate by blinking because his deteriorating health limits movement.

The 63-year-old physicist is Britain's longest surviving sufferer of the debilitating Motor Neurone disease.

He uses one hand to control the computer which gives him a voice.

But his hand is getting weaker and he is now using a new gadget, which allows him to control the computer simply by blinking his eye.

David Pond, Professor Hawking's graduate assistant at Cambridge University, said: "His hand has been slowing down."

Infrared beam

He added: "He wants to fight all the way but he recognises he needs a better way to communicate.

"He started using the switch two months ago. It's very simple to use and it's going really well."

The Infrared Sound Touch (IST) switch has been developed by the American company Words+ and works by emitting a very low-powered infrared beam.

The reflection of the beam changes when the eye is closed and the cheek muscle moves and so controlling the computer is as simple as blinking.

It is attached to Professor Hawking's glasses an inch from his cheek to detect the moving muscle. Professor Hawking, who is in his early sixties, achieved international prominence with the publication of his book A Brief History of Time in the late 1980s. He developed motor neurone disease while studying at Cambridge University in his early twenties.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/4213082.stm

Iron Newt

Banned - What an Asshat!
i wanna be able to talk by blinking. and sit in a moving chair. that would be hot. i would get a dissabilitating disease too, except it would be self inflicted. Its called fAT ASSEDNESS. I do feel sorry for the poor ol nerd though.

Too bad the dude dosent believe in god, you'd think someone that smart would be able to see it, or atleast realise that hes got nothin to loose.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
anakata said:
Too bad the dude dosent believe in god, you'd think someone that smart would be able to see it, or atleast realise that hes got nothin to loose.
???
this is your first post? wow!
i can think of many reasons why mr hawking might choose atheism.. and having 'nothing to lose' is certainly not one of them.. i would like to bet he has several thousand times the existance you imagine he has.. and thus much 'to lose'..
oh, and being smart and being christian aren't mutually inclusive, have you seen george w bush?
welcome anyway..

void said:
???
this is your first post? wow!
i can think of many reasons why mr hawking might choose atheism.. and having 'nothing to lose' is certainly not one of them.. i would like to bet he has several thousand times the existance you imagine he has.. and thus much 'to lose'..
oh, and being smart and being christian aren't mutually inclusive, have you seen george w bush?
welcome anyway..
nothing to lose after he dies, and of course having nothing to loose is not on the reasons to become an athiers list, btu u think soemoen with the understandign of the universe would be able to see that it is not self sustaning and needs soem force holding it in existance, as thsi was my first post, i was just lookign for somethign i knew of to talk of

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
anakata said:
nothing to lose after he dies, and of course having nothing to loose is not on the reasons to become an athiers list, btu u think soemoen with the understandign of the universe would be able to see that it is not self sustaning and needs soem force holding it in existance, as thsi was my first post, i was just lookign for somethign i knew of to talk of
pardon?

ThomConspicuous

Inconspicuously Informal
anakata said:
Does God help spelling errors?

I'm not really sure what led you to think he didn't believe in God...I've never heard such a rumour. I certainly wouldn't blame someone for having that belief...I've always been a huge fan of shit happens...which is a generic way of saying there are forces out there we can't possibly comprehend.

He did write a lecture entitled 'Does God Play Dice?' which basically breaks down human paranoia about affects of the Earth to scientific understanding.
Stephen Hawking's - Does God Play Dice? said:
In ancient times, the world must have seemed pretty arbitrary. Disasters such as floods or diseases must have seemed to happen without warning, or apparent reason. Primitive people attributed such natural phenomena, to a pantheon of gods and goddesses, who behaved in a capricious and whimsical way. There was no way to predict what they would do, and the only hope was to win favour by gifts or actions. Many people still partially subscribe to this belief, and try to make a pact with fortune. They offer to do certain things, if only they can get an A-grade for a course, or pass their driving test.
Kinda goes along with all these fanatical freaks thinking God has shown wrath upon New Orleans with Katrina. What's next? The Earth will open up and Las Vegas will fall into Hades?

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
actually the xtians here in nashvegas could shame into insignificance anything the heathens in las vegas think is 'risque'.. there's a very good reason why tennessee has one of the highest divorce rates.. too much holy credit..

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
What a stupid thing to say in this thread. Anakata I'm sorry for you.

Void, you're just wasting you time.

Back on topic, Yeah Hawkings is the man. I read a few of his books, they make my brain hurt, and they say if you use a muscle a lot, it hurts; no pain, no gain. I love those books, and I think the man really is a genius. It's the typical hellish nature of this universe that would put such a man, in such a state. I dunno, maybe his immobility has allowed his mind to wander farther than many able bodied people with all the usual distractions could? It will be a sad day for humans when he passes on, even if most of them are too fucking stupid to care.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
JLXC said:
What a stupid thing to say in this thread. Anakata I'm sorry for you.

Void, you're just wasting you time.

Back on topic, Yeah Hawkings is the man. I read a few of his books, they make my brain hurt, and they say if you use a muscle a lot, it hurts; no pain, no gain. I love those books, and I think the man really is a genius. It's the typical hellish nature of this universe that would put such a man, in such a state. I dunno, maybe his immobility has allowed his mind to wander farther than many able bodied people with all the usual distractions could? It will be a sad day for humans when he passes on, even if most of them are too fucking stupid to care.
did you ever read any carl sagan? very good stuff..
oh and as for me and time and the wastage thereof, i don't mind.. i seem to have accumulated a bit of alcohol since i was here earlier..

EDIT; not just at the base of my little window.. (yeah, thanks for that) *whispers* in my blood too..

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I've only read Carl Sagan back in college, let's call that "a while ago", but Hawkings books just appeal to me more. I think it's because Carl Sagan is sort of a yes man to the govt when it comes to the possibility of alien life having visited earth. I could have it wrong, but I lost interest with him after I read and saw a few things about that.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
try 'demon haunted world'.. (if you didn't read that one already)

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
ThomConspicuous said:
Kinda goes along with all these fanatical freaks thinking God has shown wrath upon New Orleans with Katrina. What's next? The Earth will open up and Las Vegas will fall into Hades?
You are mistaken, vegas is hades.