WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Scientific Controversy

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
I'd like to do something a bit different. This thread will be dedicated to Modern scientific controversial issues.
I'll start with a topic. You add to it all you know about it, and your view on it, and how it will effect us.
I will moderate this discussion, and periodically I will change the topic to keep things interesting. Nobody here is right or wrong, hence the term "Controversy".
All of the content here will be a mix of scientific data, consisting of fact and Hypothesis, and your Opinion.

I'd like to do something a bit different. This thread will be dedicated to Modern scientific controversial issues.
I'll start with a topic. You add to it all you know about it, and your view on it, and how it will effect us. Periodically I will change the topic to keep things interesting. Nobody here is right or wrong, hence the term "Controversy".
All of the content here will be a mix of scientific data, consisting of fact and Hypothesis, and your Opinion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The starting topic is: Genetically modified foods and organisms or (GMO's).

In a nutshell GMO's are foods, plants and other organisms such as microbes, that are genetically altered in order to enhance their positive properties.

An example would be Wheat that is genetically altered to enable it to grow in more arid regions such as the areas bordering deserts in Africa. Another would be a bacteria that is geared to attack aphids that destroy crops.

-What do you know about GMOs?
-What is your opinion on the technology and it’s use?
-What do you think are some of the benefits and dangers of the development/use of GMOs?

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
well i know locally we have a lot of farmers who use GMO tech in their harvests and then sell them direct to local supermarkets. as an example: califlower. the type of GMO used in califlower was devised so that the head looks healthier, fuller thus more appetizing to consumers plus they'd sell it cheaper as an added incentive.

size of a normal head of califlower (------) , $1.69
size of modified head of califlower (---------------) , $1.29

that seems alright, right? till you get it home, cook it, and find it yields less than a normal head of califlower! DOH! in other words, you think you've got a lot more califlower for your money (b/c of the larger head) but didn't. heck i am all for using GMO but not for marketing.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
GMO's are the shit! It's part mankind fullfilling its role as the dominant species on this world. The more we do it, the less control Nature has over our destiny. I'm all for it. In fact I want to modify my own DNA. Nature screwed us out of our tails before giving us opposable thumbs. This is bullshit. But once Genetic Engineering becomes as easy writing computer programs, we can get our tails back. I'm also going to create a new breed of dogs: Woodreaux Terriers. It will GM'd Boston Terriers that have tails, live as long as humans and physic links to their human friends. :thumbsup:

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
GMO's are bad for you. Not only are we messing with nature (which, I confess, is more philosophical than scientific), we don't always know the consequences of what we do to these foods. We could be on the verge of creating dire health problems for ourselves and mother earth.

I don't know much about this, but my sister is a health nut and talks about GMO's a lot. I'll ask her about them.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
Messing with Nature? Once my mad scientist ass gets rolling with Genetic Engineering, Nature will be out of a job! She's fired!

GMO's will save all those people in the poor countries like Ethiopia. I think all that crap about messing with nature is bullshit. I mean what bad can come from saving lives? On the other hand someone could poison the GMO's so it would kill people when they ate it.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
I hate the FCC said:
I mean what bad can come from saving lives?
Continuing the overpopulation trend.

Regardless, non-mutated cauliflower at the store i used to work in costed anywhere from .69 to 1.29 a head. Cheap stuff.

It's a nice idea in theory, but then again, so is communism. And genetically engineering food for the masses... anyone else see the parallel?

Karl Marx, after being told what the world had gained from 'Marxism' - "Well, I'm not a Marxist, then."

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Ok so we got Cauliflower, that's bigger. We have crops you can grow in arid places. What about bacteria and fungi engineered or modified to replace insecticides, and herbicides? A fungus that only attacks certain types of weeds that choke out the desired harvest crop.

Sounds great! It takes a lot of chemicals out of the environment. What if they mutate on their own, later on down the line?

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
well, GMOs can create health problems in some cases (for a shitload of reasons, from neglected testing to stupid mistakes) like that genetically modified potato that was found potentially cancerous after further testing (on rats) in the late 90's and removed from the market. I'll have to read more on that to debate more about it though.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
MaxPower said:
Ok so we got Cauliflower, that's bigger. We have crops you can grow in arid places. What about bacteria and fungi engineered or modified to replace insecticides, and herbicides? A fungus that only attacks certain types of weeds that choke out the desired harvest crop.

Sounds great! It takes a lot of chemicals out of the environment. What if they mutate on their own, later on down the line?
Fungus eats weeds. Runs out of weeds. Fungus eats crops. Or you.

Messing with the natural order of things is a bad idea.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
The natural order of things is the strongest survive and weak perish! As an armchair evolutionary ecologist, my research indicates that managing our and everything else's DNA, we'll gain a serious advantage over Nature and finally be able to put that mean, horrible, bitch in her place. :thumbsup:
Once, we've conquered Nature, we can focus on the monster holding her leash: God.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Change Of Topic

Nano-Technology
The Technology driving the movement to produce machines that can be measured in the nanometer scale. Components of such machines are built one atom or molecule at a time. Electric motors that are 1 nanometer across. 1 nanometer = 0.001 micrometers. A red blood cell is about 6-9 Micrometers across.

This is a good tool to visualize the size, if you're not accustom to looking through electron microscopes. >>Clickity<<

Nano-Motor
Think about an army of scrubbing machines being injected into the artery clearing blockages.
Scrubbing the core of a Nuclear power plant.

What are your thoughts on it, and what do you already know about it? Is anyone leery of the technology?

C3H9Al

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
NanoTechnology is the shit!

Every Friday when I was in Grad School, everyone working on a CompSci Master's & PhD attended a seminar where some peeps from other organizations gave presentations about what there were doing. 75% of the time, it was a group from China discussing somekind of nanotechnogical enhancement to Computer hardware design. Nanotech has been cranking results for at least a decade. Thus far, most of it refines (makes it smaller, cheaper, faster, better) existing technology. East Asia is really working it hard. They are rapidly unrolling a wireless communication infrastructure as well as putting a huge diversity of card sized gadgets into the mass public's hands. Nanotechnology empowered cost reductions (in material costs) have allowed China to jump from the stone age to Japan's level of technology with the quickness.
The next phase of nanotech R&D is the creation of new technologies that were previously impossible. Medicinal nanites (nanoscopic robots that work inside of humans) will probably be the tool we need to beat cancer and viruses. For the most part, nanites are the magic bullet that can fix problems of the following nature:
Delicate work with tiny objects, within small confines that must be done repeatedly.
Just about every field within engineering could use some nanites.

Unfortunately, this also applies to evil engineering: bioweaponary , privacy invasion, sabotage and terrorism. My position is this: every form of technology can be used for evil and eventually will, therefore it's essential that is be used for good.

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
[font=&quot]Did anyone see that episode of the "Outer Limits" where John boy Walton had cancer? He was a chemical Engineer and injected himself with nanobots. They multiplied and contained to rebuild and protect the body until he basically turned into a walking Lizard/jellyfish.
I bet that's the way it would happen.

If I turned into a lizard fish, would move into the sea, and not pay taxes.

I am sorry what were we talking about?[/font]

ferengi

Yay fire!
Nanotechnology.

Best case scenario: We get some really cool new gadgets to make our lives better. w00t.

Worst case scenario: The nanites take over and turn Earth into a Borg Collective. :thumbsup:

triptrippen

Angry Buddhist
Woodreaux said:
Messing with Nature? Once my mad scientist ass gets rolling with Genetic Engineering, Nature will be out of a job! She's fired!
I agree screw nature shes overdue for getting fired anyway, i think ppl can do better w/o her stupidself...

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
like most every technology, no matter the good(radiology) or the bad(hiroshima), it cannot be really stopped. one day eventually politics or social change will allow it to enter the general way of life. When they do come about I'm sure positives and negatives will be found. I'm sure that one day they will be used. Accidents will happen in the initial usage, but will it be the end of the world or the conversion of human kind into a self slaved cyborg race, I doubt it. Givin the potential is there, but there was the potential of the world to end during the development of the atom bomb. Givin a few hundred may get turned into monsterous freaks or a building or 50 destroyed, but once perfected it will benefit mankind.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
General Theme

Regardless of the context of research: nuclear physics, genetics, nanotech there is a common threat: we may create something we're not ready for. A lot of scientists and philosphers address this. But, I don't think slowing scientific research is the answer. I think speeding up cultural & ethical evolution to match scientific progress is the key! In other words, message to society: CATCH UP!

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
nanotech HUMMMMM they can't even get that dust buster/vacume thingy to be self reliant and worthwhile therefore i am not worried about nanotech taking over the world. its good b/c its still primitive. saves a few bucks here, there, etc.

what about genomics? very controversial...