WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Security researcher accuses Microsoft of 'sneaky data mining' in Win 10

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
Ah, you can never get enough paranoia nowadays, can you? Security researcher Mike Patterson -- founder and CEO of security analytics organization Plixer -- says Microsoft's Windows 10 sends encrypted data from your machine every five minutes, and there’s basically very little you can do to stop it.

Even when he opted out of everything he could find, regarding data transfer, the OS still continued to do it. The weirdest part about it is that you can’t really determine what is being sent. The content was encrypted so that it is impossible to know what’s going out, essentially hiding this information from the end-user.

Patterson also said he discovered a group policy feature called Allow Telemetry, which determines how many telemetry details are being sent back to the company. The only way to eliminate this, according to Patterson, is to get Windows 10 Enterprise. Or, you can switch to another OS, I guess.

But Microsoft is not the only company doing this. McAffee is sending back data, and so is Plantronics, the researcher claims. "It’s unfortunate that many reputable brands are knowingly engaging in 'sneaky data mining' without providing upfront details to consumers", comments Rahul Kashyap, EVP and chief security architect at Bromium. "Moreover, it is important that users should absolutely be told -- how long this data will be stored, the security of the data and what will it be used for. Failing to comply is a breach of consumer trust. The impact of mining such user behavior can lead to users getting targeted by ads, mails, phone calls etc. and if it goes in the wrong hands -- it could lead to targeted attacks. The current trend is disturbing and cyber laws need to be enforced to protect unsuspecting consumers".

Source: Betanews

• 2Like
Reactions: MaxPower and BRiT

CoprophagousCop

:p
Premium
Maybe you could set up a firewall to prevent certain data from going out.

I have both Windows 10 and McAfee on one of my desktops. Too bad it isn't connected to the internet. :mfinger:

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
So, my windows ten laptop isn't connected either. However, that hasn't stopped it from connecting on its own.

Several times Ive opened it and had notifications that indicate a connection was established. The only internet around is my phone.

-=iNsANe=-ADJ

I once ate broccoli
I'm sticking to Win7 until they'll cut the support. Then I'll see what to do, maybe it'll be the time that linux will definitely be my OS (but I'll keep a windows partition for old games).

Karysma

Jaded
I'm still running Windows 7 on my laptop that miraculously came back from the dead! Over 5 years ago the hard drive stopped spinning. I turned it on 2 weeks ago just for fun and now it works great! Guess it just needed a long nap. Anyway, my husband's laptop upgraded to Win 10 without his permission. He kept denying it. Then one day he left his laptop on while he got a shower and when he came back, it was already installing. It's evil and I hate it.

-=iNsANe=-ADJ

I once ate broccoli
A computer in my workplace self-updated to win10 a couple of weeks ago, and I uninstalled it promptly. Too bad it fucked up the whole day of work because that pc was going to be used heavily that day, but now we're fine.
I will never bend to this dictatorship.

• 1Like
Reactions: Karysma

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
In order to resell it, they need to first sell it. I don't consider a price of "free" as selling it.

Besides, it works so awesomely for Apple to sell poont / patch releases, why not other companies?

• 1Like
Reactions: MaxPower

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
I dont know why people have issues with Win10 OS. No issues on my side on all my systems.

Out2Lunch

☠️
I don't have any problems with Win 10. I make it a point to never get attached to any OS, since that's how you become old.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
I have 10 on my new laptop, and my slightly older PC that came with 7 originally. The one that came with it and the one that got the upgrade both perform fine.

Though there are others that didn't fare well . Check the HAL before upgrading.

CoprophagousCop

:p
Premium
My Windows 10 desktop still locks up occasionally, but not daily anymore since I changed a setting in the audio driver. I did not take the free upgrade for my Windows 8.1 desktop because of this. Now, given Windows 10's privacy breach, I do not feel so bad. (Actually, I didn't feel bad to begin with.)