WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Sega 32X Lockups? Cooling? If you help me, you'll recieve internet pennies,anda BJ.

Descent

Hella Constipated
ED-ET: Anyone here know where I can get some cheap-ass generic green low-profile heatsinks? I'm looking at .5cm height tops, due to cartridge slot space, and ~3cm for the chip will do fine. CompUSA charges an arm and a leg for these, and I'm not paying $10 for a "shit kit."

The internal cooling system failed tragically, so I need this A.S.A.P.

Thanks,
Descent

Descent

Hella Constipated
Junglizm said:
http://www.google.com/
Nice reply! You know I said I checked the Internet...

The 32X's Hitachi Dual SH2 CPU's, northbridge and southbridge all generate ~10-20W heat depending on load. The 32X VDP (Video Processor) doesn't really generate shit.

It has an internal static shield system to guard heat, but it seems to have failed miserably :(.

I'm not spending $50 for packages of generic heatsinks at CompUSA when I can buy a 32X for that much on eBay if I look hard enough.

Jung

???
Premium
I'm going to bet that nobody here except you still plays a Dreamcast, much less knows how to fix your issue. If you've already tried searching, then I'd suggest finding a forum relevant to your question and posting. You're pretty much wasting your time asking here.
Descent said:
1. Where the fuck can I get low profile, generic, crappy green painted heatsinks besides CompUSA? These work great on old shit...And space is at a premium in that mushroom (Check my avatar!).
Newegg? ZipZoomFly? CompGeeks?
2. Should I up the mod to Arctic Silver Ceramique, or just use 3M black Thermal Tape? As of late, my 32X has been running very hot...
Arctic Silver

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Descent said:
...my Genesis is a Taiwanese bootleg...reinstalling the motherboard cables, which I promptly did...
This is your problem, buy genuine shit, and don't mess with the insides. :thumbsup:

Descent

Hella Constipated
Uhhh...Junglizm...That's a Genesis, not a Dreamcast.

Missles said:
This is your problem, buy genuine shit, and don't mess with the insides.
There lies the issue...I had no clue it was bootleg until I felt my friend's Genesis 1 at his house. My plastic shell was shit. Upon a quick Google, I discovered that any Sega product that says "Made in Taiwan" is automatically bootleg, because they were all made in Japan, and also that Taiwanese hardware piracy was at it's peak then.

My first Genesis I ever got way back when in 1994 is a Genesis 2, with the smaller design and power buttons and shit. But I bought this Genesis 1 from FuncoLand (They really are fun :rolleyes: ) because I needed my own. Also, this one works with my Power Base Converter so I can play my shitty Master System games. It also works with a tray loading Sega CD...

As of yet, the Sonic Cult 32X repair guide is of...well, no help.

http://www.sonic-cult.net/articles/32x/

Oh, and by the way, I just need some GENERIC BRAND GREENSINKS (TM), because those are the only ones that will seem to fit in this bitch.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
Uhhh...Junglizm...That's a Genesis, not a Dreamcast.
Sorry, my mistake. You get the idea though.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Yeah, I get the idea. I should just cut to the chase from now on, no more stories.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
I'll make you a deal.

You get some heat sinks that are too tall but would fit otherwise. You pay for shipping and I'll mill them down for you. I'm not going to cut new fins but I will mill the existing fins down and lap the chip side flat.

Two caveates:
1. The have to be aluminium
2. I don't warranty shit when it comes to custom heat sinks.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Thanks UberSkippy! You have no clue how hard it is to find a greensink of that size, as well as a cheap 32X!

I'm going to look into it now.

Descent

Hella Constipated
You guys may not believe this, but after dousing my Knuckles Chaotix cartridge in alcohol, and raping the "Sega Mushroom" (32X) and my Genesis numerous times with an alcohol soaked cleaning cartridge from Blockbuster that I got back in '94, it works!

I'll probobly still upgrade the cooling, though :toungue:.