WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Sega is rapidly disowning me again...But this time, it's NOT the Saturn

Descent

Hella Constipated
http://news.sonicstadium.org/?full=109

'SONIC X' voice actors now provide voices for games
Ryan Drummond, voice actor for Sonic the Hedgehog in the SONICTEAM games for the last five years, has revealed to the Sonic community about his replacement by Jason Griffith from the 'SONIC X' cast.

In an email he has sent to fans ahead of his monthly newsletter on RyanDrummond.com, Drummond has explained how SEGA made a decision to replace the entire Game Voiceover Cast of the Sonic games with the Voiceover Cast from the US Dub 'SONIC X' cartoon, without letting him know about it. In a shock, if perhaps inevitable direction by the 'House of Sonic', the company felt that the move would maintain a level of continuity between the games and other products, such as the cartoon series.

" I am NOT leaving Sonic's voice by choice.", Ryan explained, "Sega decided that product continuity WAS important to them starting with this new Shadow game. So, WITHOUT TELLING ME, they have *replaced* me as the voice of Sonic with the fella who does Sonic’s voice for the Sonic X show. I was only told after it happened... Now I have no ill-will towards the new voice... I DO, however, have issue with Sega for having no grace in letting me go from my position."

Fans have been torn between hatred towards SEGA, based on sympathy for Ryan's 'disrespectful' sacking, and indifference on the grounds that voice actors do not necessarily alter the gaming experience. Those sitting on the fence have been comparing the Sonic Adventure cast with the Sonic X cast on forums to form some sort of decisive opinion.

Lani Minella, the voice actor for Rouge in the games and the voice casting director for Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes, recently confirmed the message that Drummond sent was in fact true.

A petition from irate fans has been setup for SEGA's attention. Those that are interested can view it here.

The 'new' Sonic the Hedgehog voice cast will be providing their chords for the games series, beginning with Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Riders (which may explain the rather strange voices heard at the very end of the Sonic Riders trailer found at TSS).

We congratulate the Sonic Adventure voice cast on a job well done over the last five years, and wish the new 'SONIC X' cast all the best with their new positions.

Thanks to Nicknyte from the SonicAnime.net forums and CoolFunkMan from the SSMB Forums for the news.

http://segakilledsonic.ytmnd.com/

This has also been confirmed on numerous other sites, including Wikipedia.

This really, really, REALLY grudges my ass. I'm two feet away from having decent voice acting in a Sonic game, and Sega hands me the pink slip!

I'm literally so fucking pissed off now you have no clue. I've been dejected. Sonic is a kids series now. Sega is officially no longer the company they were now. There will never be a new Sonic game that lives up to my expectations now. And Sega is now money based, not artistically based before the death of Dreamcast, which I will probobly be bitter over until I am a senile, old man.

I have honestly never felt so dejected or backstabbed by a company IN MY LIFE! What the fuck happened to the Genesis days? When Sonic was still cool, when Tails didn't look flamingly gay in an artists redition, when the series wasn't "cutsey kiddie" but "hardcore and rebellious."

What the fuck happened to the days when games like Sonic XTreme, the unreleased 3D Sonic game for the Sega Saturn, and quite possibly the first attempt at XTREME marketing, didn't need XTREME styled characters (9.9.99) to sell their XTREME product?

I never liked the redesigned characters. EVER.

I could go on and on. But expect a new, more bitter Descent, and a new out of all of this.

And you know what I am going to say now?

Fuck Sega in the ass. Fuck them. I'm done with these guys. Sonic Heroes was one flaming turd, but handing me 4Kids voice actors is sending the kids who grew up on Genesis a sordid, bitter, evil cold message.

"We don't give a shit about you."

Fuck the new Sega, and fuck everything they stand for. I'm still buying Shadow the Hedgehog. But I'll have a much harder time enjoying it with this memory lingering for the first few times I play it, much like Sonic Adventure 2, but that was Sony's fault.

And no, I won't be "crawling back after Shadow the Hedgehog comes out."

I've been seeing this series become more and more pussified by the minute. And that's the final straw.

Sonic is a fucking kids game now.

Men, unpack your Genesis/Megadrive, dig up those carts, and old school it from here on out.

Because this party is fucking OVER!

Descent

Hella Constipated
Me: ...
Me: i'm so pissed
Me: http://forums.wtf.com/showthread.php?p=352784#post35278 4
Me: Do me a favor and read this.
Me: Just do it.
Me: I'm so pissed I'm seeing red.
Me: Even if you want to sleep
Me: This means a lot to me that you read this.
Scott: I am goddamnit
Me: Keep in mind, i wrote that post
Scott: Well, duh
Scott: Interesting
Me: Ugh.
Me: press refesh fo me
Me: and check my new av
Me: That's instant disownment of the customer there.
Me: I was the only guy who thought Sega could recover from the Saturn.
Me: They did.
Me: I was the only guy who said "Fuck the PS2, it will never have a library as good as the Dreamcast's, which has already apexed."
Me: And it never did.
Me: I poured my money, my heart, my soul, and even my fucking culture into these guys, and the Genesis owners, the owners of THE SEGA SYSTEM MOST FONDLY REMEMBERED, get it up the ass.
Scott: I doubt you were the only.
Me: No.
Me: You know what?
Me: No.
Me: I'm fucking done.
Me: See ya, douchebags.
Me: Just because you left the hardware industry does NOT mean you create a newer, more "modern" customer base.
Me: Fuck you guys.
Me: Fuck you all to high hell.
Me: And I've been slowly seeing the Sonic series turn into a bunch of pussy kiddie viddy bullshit discs
Me: Shadow the hedgehog seemed like the perfect antidote, but they fucked it up.
Me: When you use the words "4Kids" and "Shadow the Hedgehog" in the same sentence, it's giving the longtime customer a great feeling of disownment.
Me: I want to smash some stuff.
Scott: Relax
Me: Dude
Scott: In the end, it's just a game
Scott: So chill the hell out
Me: You honestly don't understand me here.
Me: It's not "just a game."
Me: It's the concept of butt-fucking a highly avid fan of the series.
Scott: I understand this
Scott: But
Scott: In the endScott: It's games.
Scott: Life goes on.
Me: Ahhh, no way dude
Scott: You still have the old games, the good ones
Me: stop for a sec
Me: That's my point.
Scott: So
Me: Now lemme teel ya this
Scott: Why freak out
Me: have you ever played a really great game, with such strong bittersweet memories of it's circumstances of how it came to be, that you have a hard time enjoying it?
Me: Sonic Adventure 2 on Dreamcast.
Me: The last time Sonic would EVER appear on a Sega console.
Me: You owned an SNES, so you wouldn't get this.
Me: But playing "SONIC" on a controller marked "NINTENDO" feels so twisted and fucked up you would have a hard time viewing it the same way.
Me: How would you like to play "MARIO" on a "SONY" controller?
Scott: Of course, wouldn't be right
Me: The psychological effect of that is more severe than you would think. It doesn't feel "Sega," it feels "third party bullshit."
Me: I relish the feeling of owning SA2 on Dreamcast as opposed to GameCube.
Me: But to be honest
Me: The feeling of disownment with Shadow the Hedgehog for my GameCube is double the sorrow of SA2, console brand psychologial effects aside.
Me: "Hey listen kiddo, this is the last Sonic game we'll ever make for you that will even appeal to your demographic in any way shape or form. Capeesh?"
Scott: I sympathize
Me: Thanks, man.
Scott: Just remember that in the end, it's all okay
Me: Eh, not really man...
Scott: ....yeah
Me: It'll never be the same...
Scott: Because
Scott: Life isn't about video games
Me: You know I don't think that.
Me: But I just had a huge piece of my fucking personal culture ripped out of my chest by the company who put it there.
Me: And it's morally degrading, it hurts, and it pisses me off.
Scott: I completely understand
Me: This ain't about the game
Scott: True enough
Me: It's about the fucking culture. And so few people get that.
Scott: It's about you
Me: LOL times new roman font
Scott: I understand
Me: fucking culture.Scott: All companies only care about mone
Scott: y
Scott: Just remember that
Scott: Money is what brought them into existence
Me: Ah, yes...Sega just seems way too money centric now.
Scott: Treasure the old times
Me: FYI Sega just had their first successful fiscal quarter in over 10 years.

necro

Postaholic
/me starts the "Disown Descent so he can spew on about it on WTF.com" hate mailing list:

1. Sega Saturn
2. Nintendo Gamecube
3. Controllers for half of the systems out there
4. Rock and Roll music that isn't underground hardcore
5. Icarus

Need I carry on?

Sorry for the shitting, mods :p

Descent

Hella Constipated
Nailbomb said:
Oh, no! Not new voice actors!
You're missing the point.

Sonic X is clearly a kids series...And by replacing the regular actors for the games with these, it's sending a message to the long time Sega fan that "Thanks, your patronage was appreciated, we loved you for buying Dreamcast after it came out and never pirating anything, buying over $400 worth of software, but we don't give a shit now. Product continuity is much more valuable than keeping one of Sega's longtime advocates."

I mean, hell, I was the only one who thought the Saturn was a revolutionary piece of hardware in terms of processor design, etc.

/me starts the "Disown Descent so he can spew on about it on WTF.com" hate mailing list:

1. Sega Saturn
2. Nintendo Gamecube
3. Controllers for half of the systems out there
4. Rock and Roll music that isn't underground hardcore
5. Icarus

Need I carry on?

Sorry for the shitting, mods
Whoa whoa WHOA buddy! I don't hate the Saturn - I use it as a benchmark for game company failures because of the way everything was handled in the building of mid-90's Sega.
WizardlyFiend said:
just sounds like elitism descent, we all have it for one thing or another
Eh, not really...It's just disgruntling to the long time consumer who has loved your company, has aged with it, and remembers the golden days of when "you were king."

It's just fucking disrespectful to the REAL fans of the series, the guys who played Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 when they first came out on Genesis, not re-released on GameCube.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Descent said:
You're missing the point.

Sonic X is clearly a kids series...And by replacing the regular actors for the games with these, it's sending a message to the long time Sega fan that "Thanks, your patronage was appreciated, we loved you for buying Dreamcast after it came out and never pirating anything, buying over $400 worth of software, but we don't give a shit now. Product continuity is much more valuable than keeping one of Sega's longtime advocates."
Really? It sounds more to me like they're sending the messsage that "This guy's better for the job."

By the way, this might be a bit of a shocker, but Sonic has been a kid's series since the first game came out. You're probably too young to remember back that far, but in those days most adults didn't play video games. The majority of them were made for and marketed towards children, and Sonic the Hedgehog is certainly no exception.

Descent said:
It's just fucking disrespectful to the REAL fans of the series, the guys who played Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 when they first came out on Genesis, not re-released on GameCube.
Yeah, that would be me. I still don't give a shit about voice actors being changed.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Nailbomb said:
Really? It sounds more to me like they're sending the messsage that "This guy's better for the job."

By the way, this might be a bit of a shocker, but Sonic has been a kid's series since the first game came out. You're probably too young to remember back that far, but in those days most adults didn't play video games. The majority of them were made for and marketed towards children, and Sonic the Hedgehog is certainly no exception.
That's nice. Only 30% of Genesis owners were preteens, like myself.

The average Sega CD owner was 22, I believe.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Descent said:
That's nice. Only 30% of Genesis owners were preteens, like myself.

The average Sega CD owner was 22, I believe.
Yep. You were definitely too young to remember that far back if you believe that load of crap.

pyrodude

The real man's bitch
I had both at one time. they sucked ass.
The Sega GameGear ruled. Still have one tucked away somewhere.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
Descent will be happy with Sega again once they start selling the Sega Uranus.

WaFfLeS

Banned - What an Asshat!
Descent, why do you try? Look at these posts...

I can't say much more, this isn't B&T, and if I made a thread about him there, they would all say, it's been done...