Semi-hypothetical question...

Swah

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ...it's all just a roll of the dice...
Staff
What if the career you've been working on for the past 10+ years doesn't feel like it suits you anymore. However, you're stuck with it, because three others depend on what you bring in, and there's no real leeway (financially or otherwise) to study for a complete career change.

I've had my doubts a few times before, but it seems I can't really shake them away. And now I don't know what to do, or even what other career I'd want to pursue, besides "something in IT"...

Karysma

Jaded
Figure out a way to do school and work. Even if it's just inexpensive or free udemy courses to start. Just start. Then you'll get more of a feel of if what you think you want to do really IS what you want to do. Does your current job offer education assistance? If so, use it! Good luck!

• 1Helpful
Reactions: 1 user

ib4

Error
Staff
Does the company you work for drive you nuts? Does it not challenge you or have upward mobility and its become redundant?

There was no upward mobility at my last company and I hate much about the culture and people. The work was tedious and didnt provide opportunities of growth. It all made me go directly to challenging the kind of work I did. I started fantasizing about other jobs but how could i change when I've put all my eggs in this basket?!

BTW This is while I was a Systems Administrator. I got another job in this field at a much better company. The company was so awesome, I instantly loved my work again...but still something was missing, magically a position in Cybersecurity presented itself and it present challenges, interesting work, my kind of people, everything I had wanted. I plan to stay in this till retirement.

Could you provide more details on your thoughts or the first things I asked? Be helpful to provide more advice :p

Last edited:
  • 1Helpful

BeautifulSniper

Lovely and Deadly
Premium
What if the career you've been working on for the past 10+ years doesn't feel like it suits you anymore. However, you're stuck with it, because three others depend on what you bring in, and there's no real leeway (financially or otherwise) to study for a complete career change.

I've had my doubts a few times before, but it seems I can't really shake them away. And now I don't know what to do, or even what other career I'd want to pursue, besides "something in IT"...
Kill your family and collect the life insurance. Just don't get caught by the cops.

• 1ORLY?

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
Man I have no clue about the IT field, but if you're not happy... You gotta make a move some kind of way.

I guess I'd have to know exactly what you mean by 'It doesn't suit you'.

I forget the name of it... But there's a situation where folks will endure because they have invested... Even if there is no benefit. Meaning, if you KNOW it's not going to 'pay off' you're just wasting time by continuing with your investment.

Is it happiness, is it the work, the company? Can you change within your investment? Maybe attempt lifestyle changes that will allow you a savings where you can budget a change that is more fulfilling.

I would guess that if you feel you're in the right field but wrong job... I'd try to find a way to get your company to facilitate exploration of new avenues.

"Hey boss man, I was noticing that the company doesn't have much background in these IT fields, I noticed there's a convention that may be able to help expand our capability I should go check it out." Then rub shoulders and find out what else is out there.

Hell, get 'sick for a week' and go to an IT convention on your own dime. See what interests you, pursue it as a hobby and then strategize how and when to make your move.

• 2Helpful
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Swah

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ...it's all just a roll of the dice...
Staff
Thanks, guys, this is very helpful.

Thing is, I've been working detached for the better part of my career, mostly as a side-job while I was a student. I've been doing basic IT support (did you turn it off and on again?) at first, and for the last few years it became more specialized, focused on an actual product: supplying virtual machines and tools for DevOps teams within the company I'm currently working for.

Not sure if "detached" is the right word here, btw. It means I'm employed by company A (getting paid by them), but I'm doing jobs for company B for X amount of time, then moving on to company C for Y amount of time, etc.

I like the field of IT, the company that's employed me, and even the team I'm working with atm. I think I need to figure out why I'm doubting this much first, then find where I want to go from there. Thankfully, my employer allows me to get certified for a wide range of things, there's even a budget for following (short) courses. I've been trying to find a certification path that fits into what I'm already capable of, and where my interests lay. Right now that means finding some kind of middle ground between the really technical side of IT, and the people side of IT.

Karysma

Jaded
Check out Salesforce. You can get a free Trailhead account online and learn. I knew nothing about it, then got a position on our business systems support team in October and had to learn it all! There's a huge market. I'm going admin because that's my current job, but you can take a developer, architect or other path. The community is super helpful too!

• 1Helpful

Dark Fader

[]D [] []V[] []D
I think the IT Field is one of the most dynamic if you want to do something else.
You have an exceptional knowledge of many different disciplines, and not just one thing specifically.

It also depends on what Industry you want to enter into, and what's required.

I've served 25 years as a Technical Draftsman, but recently made Title of Engineer (without a College degree).
I never aspired to be an Engineer, nor did it ever occur to me to become one. But it did open my eyes that my own limitations are set by myself, and not really defined by exterior factors.

• 1Helpful

Ryan McAury

Investigator
Well, it's quite normal to switch every 10 years. I did it also. There is nothing wrong in seeking another job. But don't tell anybody you're doing that.
Beware that employers might pick up a phone and ring your boss. :( So, be careful. You have to look at it the economic way. What does your work cost you? And what is the profit. Be honest towards yourself. A lot of people drive a much too expensive car. It doesn't bring anything. Only costs money.
I just gave an example. A course will not help you very much.It is more important WHO you know, than WHAT you know. It's hard, but it is the modern reality.
I am a technician, but I saw people with a rapid mouth gaining more than me. It sucks.

• 1Helpful
  • 1Agree
Reactions: 1 users