WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Shoot First Law?

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Floridia just passed a new law allowing its citizens to shoot first whenever they feel their physical integrity or possessions are at risk. This law was heavily backed by the NRA.

I'm not posting a link, saw this in the newspaper, I'm kinda lazy, google it for yourself.

So anyways... I can see shit coming from that... Two drunks having an argument in the streets, they push eachother around, and suddently one pops a cap in the others face.

Or - A bum steals someones bike, gets shot in the face.

From now on, anyone who 'feels' threatened can shoot and kill. You don't have to prove you were in danger, because if it's one on one, you can pull a lie and say you were being attacked. Right? Especially if the one you killed was a 20 year old black. Know what I'm sayin'..

So this is seriously fucked up.. What do you guys think.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
My personal opinion on the whole idea, is I see it helping more than hurting. And I can't see how you'd be immune from prosectution if you shot someone. If that person died, I'm sure you'd be charged with murder, and would then have to prove that you were indeed in fear of your life or whatever. The law simply cannot be that broad.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
We can argue but it's too early to prove the negative or positive consequences of this law. Nonetheless, I bet ya 10$ that in a year, gun murders will have raised by at least 10% largely because of this shoot first law. That's my personnal opinion right now.

ps: Loser shall paypal 10$ to the winner october 4th, 2006.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
RageAgainst said:
We can argue but it's too early to prove the negative or positive consequences of this law. Nonetheless, I bet ya 10$ that in a year, gun murders will have raised by at least 10% largely because of this shoot first law. That's my personnal opinion right now.

ps: Loser shall paypal 10$ to the winner october 4th, 2006.
I'll take that bet, and raise you three marshmallows, and a pretzel stick.

R

RedOctober

Kinda nice way to get rid of rednecks. :rolleyes:

Well, it is just what Americans allways wanted, a complete anarchy. :flamed:

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
RageAgainst said:
Floridia just passed a new law allowing its citizens to shoot first whenever they feel their physical integrity or possessions are at risk.
Did you say Florida? :confused:

If you did, I must buy me a gun and tons of fucking bullets. I got an eye on a few hundred mother fuckers!:gun:

ChilianFuckFace said:
Did you say Florida? :confused:

If you did, I must buy me a gun and tons of fucking bullets. I got an eye on a few hundred mother fuckers!:gun:
/me marks Florida off the travel list.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
RageAgainst said:
From now on, anyone who 'feels' threatened can shoot and kill. You don't have to prove you were in danger, because if it's one on one, you can pull a lie and say you were being attacked. Right? Especially if the one you killed was a 20 year old black. Know what I'm sayin'..
we have the same law here in tennessee.. except it only applies to cops.. they can shoot even if you're just chewing gum..

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
Taylor_Blade said:
/me marks Florida off the travel list.
I missed my chance last time you were here. But I will keep my eye on you buddy!

void said:
we have the same law here in tennessee.. except it only applies to cops.. they can shoot even if you're just chewing gum..
Now that's just fucking ridiculous. How can they give so much power to the Police? That's insane man. I once got stopped because the cop said he ran my license plate and my name was of Hispanic origin. WTF? He could have shot me and that would have been the end of me. Fuck that! :mad:

unit.x9

some guy with no life
this is one of the things you have to lokk at from both prespectives.

knowing that the home you want to rob is owned by *cough* redneck with a 12 gauge, .357 mag, and a 30-60 will definatly deture yo from robing that house.:thumbsup:

But if you have a vendeta against a neighbor who hates you and loves your wife, you may want to stay inside at night because you may end up "endargering his possesions and life".:thumbsdn:

if you find said neighbor sleeping with your wife :woot:

if your are sleeping with said neighbors wife :axe:

so it depends on the situation

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
BrIONwoshMunky said:
My personal opinion on the whole idea, is I see it helping more than hurting. And I can't see how you'd be immune from prosectution if you shot someone. If that person died, I'm sure you'd be charged with murder, and would then have to prove that you were indeed in fear of your life or whatever. The law simply cannot be that broad.
there will be some loophole, i hate the idea of that law being passed, especially if guns are involved........

POInPR!

Dain Bramaged
How about this...

Say your a (college/high school) student who lives in fear of getting beat up by the local bully/thug and his friends? Does that give you the right to gun down said bully/thug out of self-preservation?
One of the things I see coming out of this is establishing a gangland mentality into the possible victims. Why go the local P.D. for help if the law backs you up?

Or even better yet...

What if you're a homeowner in FL and another hurricane comes near, an evac has been issued but you don't want to leave for whatever reason. You've seen the shit on the tube about some of the NOPD looting houses and dealerships.
Would this law give you the right to defend yourself from a forcefull evac and possibly the shooting of looters and cops that might put you in danger?

This shit gives me the willies...

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
you can get away with it if there are no witnesses to testify against you.

you can get away with it if it's your first kill. nobody can kill more than one person, not even the witnesses. :happysad:

if the piggies can do it, then why cant we!?:p

I heard about this law a while back, and goddamn, what kind of dumbass passes a law legalizing killings? I mean, what if you think, say, that one of the governor's new policies could threaten your possessions? Could you shoot him? Jesus fuck, what about taxes? Could you shoot the tax collectors?
Seems like they didn't think this through properly.

TheUltimateDrew

Ultimate of Ultimates
Wow. I can't believe that a law like that would be passed. And in Florida, too. All I can do is hope that none of my Canadian bretherin in Florida aren't shot.

kindbud

Banned - What an Asshat!
gunguys.com said:
-Florida’s State Rep. Dennis Baxley isn’t stopping with the “shoot first” law that’s currently got tourists shaking in their backpacks and comfortable hiking boots. He’s also sponsoring a new law that would require Florida businesses to let their employees bring guns onto work grounds, including parking lots.
yeh, that is kinda crazy. texas is pretty lax on guns, but more restricted than that.

as for cops: a little respect goes a long way. i have not had a ticket in over 10 years. i've been stopped quite a few times for speeding, no front plate(messes up the lines on my car), old insurance card, and always get a warning.

how?
if pulled over at night, dome light goes on, hands on the wheel, fingers open, and window down. durng the day, same routine...minus the light.

address the cop as sir.

when he asks for dl and insurance, i say 'it's in my back pocket/glove compartment" and ask for permission to get it.

these guys have enough to worry about, so give them a reason to be cool and they can be. it's a bit of a game, and if you can play it, you can benefit from the assholes you see on the tv show 'cops'.

now, i'll probably get a ticket tomorrow on my way to play golf, but i've been on borrowed time for years.