WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Short Questions that don't deserve their own thread [2015+]

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
If one shaves off their eyebrows, how long does it take to grow back? Do they grow back faster than hair?

If one shaves off their eyebrows, they are deemed too creepy to live, and thereby killed immediately.

DejectedReject

Unintended Consequence
Why does a restaurant or a bar is called "dive" if it is of poor quality?
The term likely originated from illegal bars in cellars and basements during prohibition in the US that one would "dive" down into.
By today's standards, a dive bar could have any number of characteristics, especially among emo hipsters, for whom a dive bar could be any place deemed cool because it is otherwise uncool. For me, the primary characteristics are no windows and no menu (and if they did serve food you definitely would not want to eat it). Some other characteristics that come to mind are bad smells, overall uncleanliness, potentially some fake wood paneling, and if they have a TV, it would be a small CRT circa 1975.

Last edited:

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
Are there any documentary film makers on the site... or other types of film makers? I'm putting together an idea and I kind of need some guidance from an actual human being.

We can have a conversation in PM.

53V3N

The slow blade penetrates the shield.
Premium
Are there any documentary film makers on the site... or other types of film makers? I'm putting together an idea and I kind of need some guidance from an actual human being.

We can have a conversation in PM.
I haven't made a documentary but I produce videos all day, err'day at work. Hit me up. I'll answer any questions to the best of my ability. :)

Okay, one of our partners in the t shirt biz is trying to diversify, so, he get a server, and is trying to get it up and running so that soon, he, and yes, I will have websites of out own! Ours will be simple at first, just a funny video curating site, with comments. So, here is my question, from him...Is there any member who can set up, and show how to manage, or help manage, a VPS server? Help would be EPIC right now, as we are really needing to get this set up.

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
These ALL-IN-ONE router-modem majigs, you suppose they're so early in the process they're kinda all a mix of good and bad? You think, no matter what, when you combine the two, so do you also inevitably compromise the performance of both the router signal and the modem, I mean, like so many other things that aim to try to do the job of many but lose the power you need from each link in the chain? I get it technology grows up to get over the humps but I don't want to read for two days to get an overall idea on a general consensus on these things. But fuck this shit, I'm going back to a separate config tomorrow, tech guy coming out, this thing hiccups too much.

I was just curious if anyone had a clue whether, in general, these gadgets are getting a bad name right now. Or if it's a matter of what my ISP provides, I do like the idea of an ALL-IN-ONE if it's not such a pain in the ass to my mother.lol That's the problem, fucking daily stress factor. Is there some state-of-the-art model that isn't unreasonable cash output? Is this a stupid question? :D

oldenunder

Maniacal Maniac
These ALL-IN-ONE router-modem majigs, you suppose they're so early in the process they're kinda all a mix of good and bad? You think, no matter what, when you combine the two, so do you also inevitably compromise the performance of both the router signal and the modem, I mean, like so many other things that aim to try to do the job of many but lose the power you need from each link in the chain? I get it technology grows up to get over the humps but I don't want to read for two days to get an overall idea on a general consensus on these things. But fuck this shit, I'm going back to a separate config tomorrow, tech guy coming out, this thing hiccups too much.

I was just curious if anyone had a clue whether, in general, these gadgets are getting a bad name right now. Or if it's a matter of what my ISP provides, I do like the idea of an ALL-IN-ONE if it's not such a pain in the ass to my mother.lol That's the problem, fucking daily stress factor. Is there some state-of-the-art model that isn't unreasonable cash output? Is this a stupid question? :D
Have you tried turning it off, and on again?

Actually i have had a lot of people use the all-in-one router/modem/WiFi. I put one in for my mother and she has had no issues with it. I like them. I have not heard any complaints, except with people complaining the same about their ISP. Some have switched to these to "fix" the problems and then realize that the problem was not their devices, but it was their ISP.

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
Have you tried turning it off, and on again?

Actually i have had a lot of people use the all-in-one router/modem/WiFi. I put one in for my mother and she has had no issues with it. I like them. I have not heard any complaints, except with people complaining the same about their ISP. Some have switched to these to "fix" the problems and then realize that the problem was not their devices, but it was their ISP.
Well, I had no trouble until I had a techie tell me my old setup was outdated (during a service call where suddenly we did begin to have problems out of nowhere) and I let him switch me out to this config. Now we always have issues of the connection dropping. Regularly. I called today and the tech says they have had a lot of complaints coming in about this particular box. Hmmm What to do...

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
Make them replace it. They were the ones that told you to switch.
Yeah. They don't have another all-in-one model any different than this. So I'm going back to the two boxes. It's a silly issue, nothing too important, I just have a space issue where I'm to go back to two boxes now and I'd rather loved the twofer until it got to be real stressful. Tradeoff *ahwell, thanks. :) I really didn't want to deal with setting up another myself anyway. Just that whole question of putting fat cash down for something I may still ultimately not be pleased with, I wouldn't have a clue what's out there but I sure saw some large-like price tags over recent weeks.

Mange

Tenderony
Yeah. They don't have another all-in-one model any different than this.
Umm jujubee... Out of curiosity, is this box dropping just the wireless signal or both wireless and ethernet? If it is only the wireless signal that is having problems then the box is likely broadcasting wifi on the factory default channel and colliding with a neighbor's signal that is broadcasting on the same channel. If so, then you would just need to change the channel your wifi is broadcasting on.

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
Umm jujubee... Out of curiosity, is this box dropping just the wireless signal or both wireless and ethernet? If it is only the wireless signal that is having problems then the box is likely broadcasting wifi on the factory default channel and colliding with a neighbor's signal that is broadcasting on the same channel. If so, then you would just need to change the channel your wifi is broadcasting on.
Wows!-No kidding. Well, I don't know because I don't even understand exactly what ethernet is, I've been confused about that. I know I read about it at one time but these are unfamiliar waters. :D. I only know very basic stuff, installing, uninstalling, some maintenance and general navigation.hahaa

So, where in the system do I check when it happens? And how the heck do you change the channel it's broadcasting on, have tech help do it while you're on the phone?

Well, the guy's coming tomorrow so you don't have to really answer that stuff but now I'm curious. :p

That's innteresting... but the closest neighbor with wifi is kinda far. Doubt their signal is interfering.

Mange

Tenderony
Ethernet... If you plug a cable into the router and plug the other end into your computer in order to access the internet, that is an ethernet cable or wired connection. If you connect wirelessly of course that is Wi-Fi. If your router is Motorola brand, you would likely log into it as follows: open a browser, type in: http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 (or just click the links and see if the router page opens), username and password might be on the bottom of the router or might be username: admin and password: admin, motorola or password. Once in, you would just go to the wireless tab, find the channel selection, likely to be a pull down with selections 2 through 11 and choose a different channel, then probably click save or update. For instance, if it is currently set at channel 11 you would want to change it to 6, 5 or 4. If it is not a Motorola device, you can usually find the login information by googling the model number and 'default password'. In any event, it would me best to change the channel 4 to 6 increments away from where it is currently set and don't use the two ends (2 or 11). And of course the other peril to a wireless signal is large metal objects like setting the router on top of a metal filing cabinet or near a refrigerator.

Last edited: