WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Should a certain level of education be a prerequisite for voting?

Should a certain level of education be a prerequisite for voting?

• NO education necessary.

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Literacy required.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • >= Middle School

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • >= GED/High School

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • >= Technical Certification/Associate Degree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >= 4 year degree

• >= Graduate School

• Only the most educated and genius should vote

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters

Jung

???
Premium
I think "GED/High School " would be fair. You're not entitled to legally vote until you're 18. You should've had ample time to complete either/or by that age. Hopefully voters would have gained some knowledge about history and civics by that point. I think that if you ease any sort of restriction on voting, a fire would be lit under people's asses to provide a better education than what's currently being offered, to counter any knee-jerk emotional voting, by those that don't have an education. I think after one or two major fuckups we'd see smart voting all around. Although it's arguable, since people with no education are citizens just as much as people with an education are.

This also leads me to another question; Should the electoral college be abolished?(I'll leave this out of the current poll/discussion though)

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
in "Protagoras" plato, submits the idea that government is one field where anyone's voice is equal. he gives examples of shipbuilders excluding a flute player, from their discussions on ship building. but when the discussion turns to politics every one is allowed to join, but on the flip side, the greek idea of a true citizen was someone who was well versed and took an active role in politics i side with plato. everyone has an idea of how they would like to be governed regardless of education level. just because they may not place the same importance on the things you and i might, they still have to live under the leader we pick.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Good question. I don't know... I do think that a minimum of political knowledge should be mandatory to vote, but then again having a high school/whatever diploma doesnt necessarily mean you have any political knowledge.

A PhD can be really smart in what he does and good at saving lives, but politically he can still be a complete tool.

With a better education system like you said, and real political medias (CNN and fox are a joke) we could probably instore your idea of high school requirement and I think it would have a chance of success.

But then again.. what about farmers who don't have high school and want a voice in the election? If they got screwed by the last president and they'd want another one...

So I don't really don't know right now. I'll think about it =P

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
High school and up.. People who drop out (no offence unforgiven) have a lot different views because they haven't learned about politics enough, maybe if they read a book or two on their own time.. But that would only be a small percentage of the population..

breakology

Kiss my Converse
I think that everyone should have the right to vote, regardless of their educational oppurtunitites. A high school diploma or GED does not imply greater intelligence than someone without. Granted, there has to be some measure to gauge education, hence diplomas and degrees, but that does'nt give the individual holding the sheepskin a right to a greater say in the political process.
Part of what is suppose to be great about our country is that every individual is guaranteed certian liberties and unalienable rights by the constitution. Education is definitly important, in regards to making an informed choice, but it is not the only factor that makes someone an informed voter.

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
I see your point,Jigglejizm(sorry)
I dont think smarts have much to do with the right to vote,(at 18) I think.
We could all be total dumbfucks as far as we know.
After all,somebody voted Bush in last time around.

And it was'nt me.

My personal opinion is that people should at least know something about the candidates before they vote. I mean, come on. We don't want people going in there and voting for John Kerry just because John Edwards is "cute." Yes, I've actually heard someone say that, in all their seriousness. Hell, voting for someone just because they're from your state isn't a good reason. Votes should be based on what the voter believes is better policy, or in some cases, morally right.

Unfortunately, there's no way to enforce this.

p99 said:
High school and up.. People who drop out (no offence unforgiven) have a lot different views because they haven't learned about politics enough, maybe if they read a book or two on their own time.. But that would only be a small percentage of the population..

I dropped out. I can be political and stuff.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
Over the past 30 years, voter turnout for non-college 18-24 year old young people has declined, though generally not as sharply as that for young people with a bachelor's degree or higher. In 2000, voter turnout among those with a bachelor's degree was approximately 70 percent, while voter turnout among those with less than a high school diploma was 20 percent, a 50-percentage point gap.
http://www.civicyouth.org/research/areas/non_college.htm

Apparently, there is a trend of the educated youth having more of a tendency to vote, making voter awareness an important bi-product of education. Or it could be that the group with less education just does'nt care.

morelos

lexicon incognito
i think only one thing should be necessary to enable someone to vote:

direct participation in the US economy (earning and spending money here). residents who are not citizens should be entitled to vote. if you turn in a 1040 you should have a vote.

as tempting as it is, it's unfair to say "you must be this tall to ride" with respect to education and voting; besides, couldn't you keep the ruling party in power that way? every four years you graduate another high school class, and every four years you have another major election year? just keep funding schools which pay their teachers to swear up and down the candidate already in power is the only reasonable choice..

egh..

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
is that, earning and spending, or, earning or spending... if the you meant the first what about welfare recipients, who most likely arent happy with the position they're in, and believe that a change of their leader will help them out, just a for instance,

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
Higher Education is not necessarily an indication that a person has common sense, or a clue...

Look at George...

p99 said:
i didn't drop out... unless you call failing dropping out.

i finished school, except one measly class. i know nothing of politics, whether it be yours or ours. that's why i don't vote.

haljer

disillusioned
Having a certain level of education isn't going to guarantee a better choice. There are alot of people who make their decisions based on trival reasons. That's why the media talks about Kerry's hair or Bush's ass or whatever. Alot of political decisions are based on who you know not what you stand for. This doesn't change because you had biology in high school. Book smarts doesn't make you right. And being slow doesn't make you less of a human being.

RageAgainstBush

Resident Liberal
bribes

i think that the rules for voting as they are are just fine. Lowering the age or standard would only make it possible for even more voter corruption. For example: Parents are über consevative. Teenage dumbass son has no political stance. Parents say "Well raise you allowence 5 dollars if you vote for Bush". Teenage son doesnt give a crap about politics and yet another uninformed voter heads to the polls.

That theoretical situatuion is just one of many that could arise if the standards for voting are lowered.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
I am going with no.

If we decide that adult citizens can only vote with a certain prerequisite, then we are removing thier rights and degrading thier american status.

That is like saying people with a mental handicapp should not vote.
Black people should not vote.
Women.
Japanese.
Parapalegics.

Who are we to decide who has the right and who does not?

Jung

???
Premium
RageAgainstBush said:
i think that the rules for voting as they are are just fine. Lowering the age or standard would only make it possible for even more voter corruption. For example: Parents are über consevative. Teenage dumbass son has no political stance. Parents say "Well raise you allowence 5 dollars if you vote for Bush". Teenage son doesnt give a crap about politics and yet another uninformed voter heads to the polls.

That theoretical situatuion is just one of many that could arise if the standards for voting are lowered.
I don't think you properly read this thread. Nobody was talking about lowering the age limit or standards. The poll was about possibly increasing the standards by instating a requisite level of education. Hence the title; "Should a certain level of education be a prerequisite for voting?". Nice first post btw. :banghead:

msalyss85

Banned - What an Asshat!
There probably should be like a "current events" test or something just to ensure that the person voting isn't a complete moron. Because some people just don't know about anything and vote who their parents want them to vote for. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

tzedek

Original Member
you should have to be able to tell the difference between a democrat and a republican to vote. I dont think that a certain education level is a fair way to decide who does or doesnt vote.

Jung

???
Premium
haljer said:
This doesn't change because you had biology in high school. Book smarts doesn't make you right. And being slow doesn't make you less of a human being.
I was talking about civics and history mostly, not biology. Obviously, book smarts don't make you smart.(i'm jk btw) Being slow and lacking education aren't necessarily related. "Slow" people get educations every day, albeit they may need to work harder to get them. I was speaking about lack of education, more specifically those who choose to forego getting a formal education.

Others have made some very good points in this thread. I posed this thread mostly to ask other's opinions of what the standard should be, were it to ever be raised. I still believe some for of education should be required for voters, perhaps a voter education class similar to drivers ed. I also think some form of current affairs test should be instated. Nobody benefits from someone who's ignored the race through out and decides to vote for X candidate on a whim. That's just my :twocents:.

EDIT: Two more thoughts:

Education should have a larger focus than it currently enjoys. When one of the candidates borders on functionally illiterate, it would probably not be fair to make literacy a requirement.