WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

should previous drug use prevent you from getting a good job?

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
so i saw this on the onion website..

The FBI And Pot

The FBI is considering relaxing their strict standards for past marijuana use among prospective agents. What do you think?

"I think it's a good change. The FBI should be open to considering applicants who attended college at some point in their past."

and it made me smile but made me think.. yeah, most people i know who went to college were at the least minor stoners.. and when i lived in england everyone i knew took drugs, or used to..

so.. should the FBI employ people who went to college and had a normal college experience, should banks employ people who actually know how to relax and unwind without the use of violence but rather a small quantity of relatively harmless vegetation?

i'm interested, i think it really doesn't matter as long as you get the job done at least as well as the guy next to you, but what do i know? there's lots of jobs where you can take drugs, but lots of jobs where you can't.. i don't see too many jobs where they care if you drink a few beers every night.. seems like a double standard.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
It really depends on the definition of "previous." Doing drugs in college should fuck you over. All the smart kids experimented in junior high, when grades didn't really matter.

By the way: The new rule isn't really that strict. Nobody who smoked marijuana more than 12 times in their life can get in. Hoo boy.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
Ehh, I think the bank would rather have a person who is lax 24/7 without the help of "vegetation", than someone who depends on it to stay relaxed...

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Boycott said:
Ehh, I think the bank would rather have a person who is lax 24/7 without the help of "vegetation", than someone who depends on it to stay relaxed...
well, if i owned a bank there would be huge bongs everywhere and the staff would be naked..

[/dream]

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Nailbomb said:
It really depends on the definition of "previous." Doing drugs in college should fuck you over. All the smart kids experimented in junior high, when grades didn't really matter.

By the way: The new rule isn't really that strict. Nobody who smoked marijuana more than 12 times in their life can get in. Hoo boy.
How do they count howmany time you smoked?

Im so never getting into the FBI!

PS: True stoners don't want to work for the fbi....we want to work for the DEA

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
dustinzgirl said:
How do they count howmany time you smoked?

Im so never getting into the FBI!

PS: True stoners don't want to work for the fbi....we want to work for the DEA
Believe me...if you apply for the military or the FBI/CIA or the like, you'd better be completely honest about your drug use. If you lie, they WILL find out, and they WILL fuck you over big time. Worst case scenario for lying about drugs (military wise) is 7 years imprisionment, $10,000 fine, and a dishonorable discharge. Just imagine trying to pay that off when not even McDonald's will hire you.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Nailbomb said:
Believe me...if you apply for the military or the FBI/CIA or the like, you'd better be completely honest about your drug use. If you lie, they WILL find out, and they WILL fuck you over big time. Worst case scenario for lying about drugs (military wise) is 7 years imprisionment, $10,000 fine, and a dishonorable discharge. Just imagine trying to pay that off when not even McDonald's will hire you.
Thats ok, a first year fbi agent doesnt make that much money anyways....i think I make more than they do yearly...with no college degree....

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Nailbomb said:
This is true. I dated a Special Investigator for the military. Her job was to investigate people who were up for security clearance. She'd go out, ask questions and if anything piqued her interest she'd keep asking. She'd start with the spouse, the kids, the neighbor's and the folks. In once case some guys were getting together every Sunday and betting on Nascar races. She spent 3 months investigating EVERYONE because nobody would admit how much they were betting. Finally the guy cops t0 $25 a race when she refused his clearance.

They WILL find out. They'll ask friends and family, they'll even hook you up to a lie detector. Hell, I can't even get into the Police academy cuz I smoked weed after I was 25.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
UberSkippy said:
This is true. I dated a Special Investigator for the military. Her job was to investigate people who were up for security clearance. She'd go out, ask questions and if anything piqued her interest she'd keep asking. She'd start with the spouse, the kids, the neighbor's and the folks. In once case some guys were getting together every Sunday and betting on Nascar races. She spent 3 months investigating EVERYONE because nobody would admit how much they were betting. Finally the guy cops t0 $25 a race when she refused his clearance.

They WILL find out. They'll ask friends and family, they'll even hook you up to a lie detector. Hell, I can't even get into the Police academy cuz I smoked weed after I was 25.
Hell, the drug tests are just as intrusive. They have to watch the urine leave your body. Even worse, they do it in groups, and so they'll line you up and make you pee at once while a doctor watches. Oh, and since there's a limited amount of doctors doing the test (they do it right away), you'll have to stand in line holding your cups. And that's just the standard tests for enlistment. I don't even want to think about what might happen if you're accused of anything.

keebs

Particinator
I am not in support of relaxing this rule. i dont want the people payed by people's tax money to protect the eneral public, to be tokin up. they always need to be mentally sharp, not blazed. also i dont like the idea of someone that cants handle stress and need weed, in a job that everyone knows is very stressfull.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
keebs said:
I am not in support of relaxing this rule. i dont want the people payed by people's tax money to protect the eneral public, to be tokin up. they always need to be mentally sharp, not blazed. also i dont like the idea of someone that cants handle stress and need weed, in a job that everyone knows is very stressfull.
I think the rule that's being relaxed is the entry requirement. Most law enforcement agencies have an age limit. For example: Idaho State police will not accept anyone who has smoked pot more than 5 times in their lives OR who has smoked pot after his or her 25th birthday.

No, I don't want an FBI agent tokin up. But I think if the guy has been clean for a reasonable amount of time and wasn't ever a huge user to begin with then why not? So he smoked weed in highschool or college. So does 75% of the country.

keebs

Particinator
UberSkippy said:
I think the rule that's being relaxed is the entry requirement. Most law enforcement agencies have an age limit. For example: Idaho State police will not accept anyone who has smoked pot more than 5 times in their lives OR who has smoked pot after his or her 25th birthday.

No, I don't want an FBI agent tokin up. But I think if the guy has been clean for a reasonable amount of time and wasn't ever a huge user to begin with then why not? So he smoked weed in highschool or college. So does 75% of the country.
ok i will agree with that statment, the FBI would have to figure out: what classifies as not a huge user, also whats a reasonable amount of time for beening clean. i think the Idaho police policy is a good rule.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Nailbomb said:
Hell, the drug tests are just as intrusive. They have to watch the urine leave your body. Even worse, they do it in groups, and so they'll line you up and make you pee at once while a doctor watches. Oh, and since there's a limited amount of doctors doing the test (they do it right away), you'll have to stand in line holding your cups. And that's just the standard tests for enlistment. I don't even want to think about what might happen if you're accused of anything.
Drugs tests will only work if you toked like last year, but can't detect very far in time.

Also, Bush snorted coke in college so what the fuck.

Jung

???
Premium
keebs said:
Make note of this key part of the OP. "relaxing their strict standards for past marijuana use"

The FBI is talking about relaxing their rules for _past use_ of these drugs, not saying they're going to allow current users to be employed.
Boycott said:
Well, if someone allows any vice to get in the way of their job they should be fired, whether it be tobacco, alcohol or anything else. I think you’re making a bit of a stretch to imply that marijuana smokers would be high all day, while at work and do it to “cope.”

On the FBI issue, I don’t really see a problem with it, considering that most high school or college kids have tried it at least once. Past use isn’t really a strong indication of future or present use or problems either, so I don’t’ see the need to penalize people for choices they made when they were younger.

As far as the bank or any other job goes, it’s obviously an issue of legality. No upstanding company is going to knowingly employee someone they know to be a drug user, at least not as long as that drug remains illegal. That said, I don’t see how marijuana is any worse than alcohol, aside from legality, but what a good employee does in their spare time should be of no concern to an employer.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
RageAgainst said:
Drugs tests will only work if you toked like last year, but can't detect very far in time.

Also, Bush snorted coke in college so what the fuck.
Don't talk if you don't know what really happens. I know a guy that hadn't touched drugs for years, and stuff still showed up in his test.

pyrodude

The real man's bitch
If the guy took drugs in the last year then you should be limited in what he could do. If it happened about 5 or so years ago then who gives a fuck.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Nailbomb said:
Don't talk if you don't know what really happens. I know a guy that hadn't touched drugs for years, and stuff still showed up in his test.
via the strand of hair test.. keep it short..

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Nailbomb said:
I was talking about marijuana, not other drugs. THC doesn't stay in your blood for years.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
void said:
via the strand of hair test.. keep it short..
Hair test isn't a part of the standard physical, and he only smoked marijuana. It showed up in his urinalysis.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Nailbomb said:
Hair test isn't a part of the standard physical, and he only smoked marijuana. It showed up in his urinalysis.
after years?
i'd heard this, a few years ago british prisons noted a sharp increase in heroin use amongst inmates, it was discovered to be as a result of the fact that heroin metabolises in a day or two and THC/cannabis takes months..

i haven't smoked since 2001 and i still have residual amounts approaching intoxification.. my wife is convinced i'll never be truely 'clean'.. ;)