WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Show your independance on the 4th; Burn a flag

magnolia

Postaholic
I have to disagree with him on one thing. Making laws against burning the flag is not an assult on our freedom of speech. Burning the flag shows a blantant disrespect for one's country.

Although, I do agree that congress puts too much emphesis on the flag itself rather than it's meaning. In school I never said the pledge because I wouldn't pledge myself to a flag or what it stands for. I don't want to show my support for the deaths of soilders who should be home with teir families.

So I'm not going to burn a flag, but I certainly won't pledge myself to it either.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
magnolia said:
I have to disagree with him on one thing. Making laws against burning the flag is not an assult on our freedom of speech. Burning the flag shows a blantant disrespect for one's country.
Not necessarily. It can also be used to display how displeased you are with how the country is being run.

Burnning the flag does not need to be, and should not be made illegal. It's a peice of cloth that symbolizes our nation. Burnning it symbolizes a loss of faith in the nation.

And given the way this country has been behaving lately do you really think it deserves much respect?

1. Gays are second class citizens because why?
2. People are being held by the US government against their wills with no legal representation.
3. The war in Iraq and all its subsequent issues.
4. Complete and utter disregard for our environment.
5. Complete and utter disregard for the views and beliefs of other countries.
6. Complete and utter disregard for the views and beliefs of anyone who doesn't agree with the president.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
magnolia said:

Although, I do agree that congress puts too much emphesis on the flag itself rather than it's meaning. In school I never said the pledge because I wouldn't pledge myself to a flag or what it stands for. I don't want to show my support for the deaths of soilders who should be home with teir families.

So I'm not going to burn a flag, but I certainly won't pledge myself to it either.
ill agree with the fact that a bill banning the burning of hte flag isn't something that is constitutional. especially if the courts have ruled that burning the flags are okay. since the courts ultimately have the right to interpret the law.

however i never have/nor will burn a flag, especially my own. everyday in school i say the pledge of allegiance.
flag2.gif (8316 bytes)
I pledge allegiance to the Flag
of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

you aren't pleding allegiance to a piece of cloth. I am saying that, pledge my loyalty, my allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands. I am pledging my loyalty to the Republic for which the flag stands. i cant understand why people have a problem with the pledge of allegiance. if you do then why do you stay in this country?

Jung

???
Premium
magnolia said:
While it might not be an infringement on our freedom of speech, it does infringe on freedom of expression. A lot of things show disrespect for our country, but that's the beauty of living in a free country; our citizens are free to show their displeasure with our system without fear of retaliation. This, however, tramples that right. Agree or disagree, burning a piece of cloth shouldn't be illegal based on the principle of it being an American flag. I could understad fire code of public safety, but trying to force respect for our coutry and it's insignia is absurd.

That said, I have no intention of ever burning our flag, and I do find it to be distasteful. However, I have no right to restrict the next person from voicing their feelings, solely based on mine. If you think you do, well, you're flat out wrong. That's not the American way, and it's anti-progressive.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
Yes, interesting article.

It is a peice of cloth, there are many.

It is only a symbol of the country, it is NOT the country.

I'm against censorship, and I don't want my right to self expression taken away. Flag burning should not be banned in the U.S.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
surprisingly enough I don't think there should be legislation banning the burning of the flag.. well maybe thats not surprising... considering how "big governmentish" that would be...
though.. one could make an arguement because... well... there are laws outlawing the burning of crosses on even private land... its considered to be intimidating to minorities, immigrants and Jews... couldn't the burning of the flag be intimidating to people also? I don't necessarily believe that.. just saying that the arguement could be made... they are both just symbols...

I say if they wanna ban it.. the best way to do it is using existing fire codes... its just generally not safe to burn a flag during a rally or near buildings... its like firing off shots from your rifle at a pro-gun rally...

vor said:
I'm against censorship
unless its right-wing talk radio..

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
DanGeo23 said:
unless its right-wing talk radio..
Now DanGeo, you know I believe that the purveyors of right-wing talk radio have the right to exist.

I just think it might nice to allow them all to hangout together, perhaps on a lovely tropical island.
There may be some room on Gitmo soon...

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
WizardlyFriend said:
I pledge allegiance to the Flag
of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.
lol. Say that to the Guantanamo prisoners.
Maybe they meant, justice for some?

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
Bullshit. Burning the flag is not and will not be banned. Of course burning it in protest will be banned you fuckin' mooks. Burning it is just as wrong as burning your SpongeBob thunderware that you sported while taming the all female dorm room. In the real world, if they're shit-canned, you dispose of them/it properly. You burn it. Just don't geht caught by your neighbors.

Ban....my dick.

Burning a flag is a blatant insult to the American way and the soldiers defending our country and dying. Many men have died for that flag and to burn one in protest is unAmerican. If people don't like living in America they should move to the Middle East and try speaking their minds. After seeing the freedoms people have there maybe they would feel differently.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
im a soldier and I dont mind... its a rag made in a mexican sweat shop..

oh yeah.. and this thread was long dead... leave it that way..