WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines singapore

dsj

Hoodrat
This country is oppressive and canes people. Just who do they think they are to cane an american kid? Is telling people to strip and bend over and stick their ass out right?

ferengi

Yay fire!
(I assume you're referring to the incident where the teenager vandalised a police car in Singapore.)
If that is the case, then the little fucker deserved it. As I remember, he was the son of an American ambassador or some shit and thought he could do whatever the fuck he wanted, since he thought that America wouldn't let them punish him. Serves the little prick right.

dsj

Hoodrat
It's inhumane punishment. You don't have the idea of human rights. A country can't cane people. And you are making things up, americans did not not allow any punishments. They just said that caning was excessive which definitely is.

ferengi

Yay fire!
They still caned him, all the United States government did was get the number of lashes reduced. Sure, everyone is entitled to basic human rights, but you can't just walk into any country, violate their laws, and not expect to be punished under those same laws.

ferengi

Yay fire!
We had a debate about this in my Government class. If he had done the same thing in the United States, what would he have gotten? probably a few months in jail. I was surprised to hear several of my classmates say that, given the option, they'd rather take a few lashes than lose their freedom for a long period of time.

dsj

Hoodrat
ferengi74656 said:
We had a debate about this in my Government class. If he had done the same thing in the United States, what would he have gotten? probably a few months in jail. I was surprised to hear several of my classmates say that, given the option, they'd rather take a few lashes than lose their freedom for a long period of time.
actually, it will just be a fine. singapore fined him 2200 dollars and caned him. Just because it's their country dosen't mean that they can act arbitrary and do things against the human rights charter.

ferengi

Yay fire!
We have the death penalty in the United States. I'm sure that would be considered as a violation of human rights by someone in another country, but here it's the norm, just as caning is the norm in Singapore. It isn't our place to criticize another country's legal system any more than it is their place to criticize ours.

dsj

Hoodrat
Caning is incorrect. I'll say it again. You can't tell people to strip and bend over and stick out their ass.

ferengi

Yay fire!
In your opinion caning is wrong, but it's sorta asinine to think that you can dictate standards of morality to people living half a world away. They do what works best for them. Singapore has low crime rates, so they're obviously doing something right. If people are afraid of a painful punishment, then they are far less likely to commit a crime than when they know all they'll get is a fine and/or jail time.

dsj

Hoodrat
The human rights charter applies to all humans. No beating and degrading punishments. You can kill people for stealing a dollar then the crime rate would be really low. But that is a police state, not a free society. America has the right to protect it's citizens from brutal situations.

ferengi

Yay fire!
http://www.corpun.com/awfay9405.htm

"After the fourth and final stroke, say Singapore officials, Fay shook hands with his caner and insisted on walking back to his cell unaided. He wanted to act like a man."
Oh wow, he must have been so shocked from the brutality of his punishment that he was delirious, that's the only thing that could explain his taking the punishment so well.

dsj

Hoodrat
ferengi74656 said:
http://www.corpun.com/awfay9405.htm

"After the fourth and final stroke, say Singapore officials, Fay shook hands with his caner and insisted on walking back to his cell unaided. He wanted to act like a man."
Oh wow, he must have been so shocked from the brutality of his punishment that he was delirious, that's the only thing that could explain his taking the punishment so well.
his dignity was ruined. He wanted to restore it by doing so. You are totally numb about human dignity and rights.

morelos

lexicon incognito
some babbler said:
The human rights charter applies to all humans. No beating and degrading punishments. You can kill people for stealing a dollar then the crime rate would be really low. But that is a police state, not a free society. America has the right to protect it's citizens from brutal situations.
really?

so what about war? what about abu ghraib? ahahah..

do you really think that the "human rights charter" has any power over anything?

you're talking like some amnesty international representative. the truth about what you can and cannot do isn't a piece of paper. it's what happens in reality.

kid breaks local law, kid suffers local punishment. i have no complaints. he's an american citizen? BIG FUCKING DEAL; SINGAPORE ISN'T AN AMERICAN STATE. maybe if he obeyed the rules he wouldn't have been punished.

you could argue that jail is inhumane as easily as you could argue that corporal punishment is inhumane.

the problem is that you're ignoring one simple fact: a guy broke a law and suffered the punishment that law carries. "police state" or not, singapore is sovereign and it was his own damn fault.

~ dan ~

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
morelos said:
kid breaks local law, kid suffers local punishment. i have no complaints. he's an american citizen? BIG FUCKING DEAL; SINGAPORE ISN'T AN AMERICAN STATE. maybe if he obeyed the rules he wouldn't have been punished.
~
the phrase don't do the crime if you can't do the time is ringing in my head...

morelos

lexicon incognito
dsj said:
You guys are totally screwed up.
at least we support our arguments.

if you really want to go there, please allow me to annihilate you.

here in america, access to health care is not universal. thus, the most modern country on earth is inhumane because basic human rights are not being met.

~ dan ~

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
dsj said:
It's inhumane punishment. You don't have the idea of human rights. A country can't cane people. And you are making things up, americans did not not allow any punishments. They just said that caning was excessive which definitely is.
And that's why their country is much more disciplined than the U.S. not that I agree...... But if we imposed stricter laws on vandalism and teens going through their Rebel (growing pains) stage things may be a lot different!

Kids can be cruel and ARE assholes! I was one...and I was a PUNK. I always knew that I would get of easy.....and if you think about it, it's true....None of our laws even register to some other countries. On the same note that may be considered cruel and unusual punishment?

Fuck that PUNK any way Defacing some ones personal property is fuct! especially when it's a car! That's wrong! U don't fuck with some one's ride..

</rant>

Tenderony
Yeah, what Twist said. Harsher penalties, bigger deterrent. I'm not talking prison here. Like those arab countries, (excuse me for generalising, I don't know the particular name) where they chop your hand off for stealing.

You will think twice about doing that again. As will the dumb american whose whining about a few canes. He'll remember he got beats for doing it, and will think again.

At least he wont be locked in a small room with a big sweaty bloke called Bubba.

</rant>

dsj

Hoodrat
you people are fucked up. None of you deserve to live.

ferengi

Yay fire!
dsj said:
you people are fucked up. None of you deserve to live.
And who the fuck exactly are you to make that determination? Just because we have different opinions than you means we "don't deserve to live?"
You speak of the human rights charter and how human life is precious and shit like that, then you turn around and say this?
I smell a fucking hippocrite. :mfinger: