WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

SiS Chipsets?

Descent

Hella Constipated
I want to know why people hate these. I have a SiS 748 chipset in my main box and it rocks!

It runs very stable, and gives me no problems whatsoever.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Everyone dislikes SIS cause their drivers suck and their chipsets are not as stable and fast as the competator's chipset [VIA/Nvidia].

Descent

Hella Constipated
Actually, I have used their latest drivers, and they kick ass! They are very stable, and very quick.

Oh yeah, and Via being more stable? Bullshit. I had a KT266, what a piece of shit that was. I had shitloads of problems with my SB Live! (I ended up throwing out a good card, THANKS VIA! YOU FUCKING COCKSUCKERS!), USB devices fucked up frequently, and eventually the whole fucker just failed on me, and I could only run my beloved 'puter at a 200MHz FSB (The little shit was supposed to run at 266!).

I will never go back to Via. They suck balls!

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
The only chipset I never had an issue with for AMD is the nForce2 aside from the AMD 750 chipset. For Intel it's the early series TX and BX chipsets. Believe it or not, but I've had worse experience with SIS/ALI than VIA. I swear I'll never use another VIA or Creative Labs product ever again.

However, for the AMD 64bit platform, VIA's chipset is actually rock solid.

However, the next Sound Blaster product for PCI-Express bus looks to be tempting. I just hope CL doesn't fuck it up with their craptastic drivers. It's due to be out somewhere in the first quarter of 2005. They may actually implement some of the nice technology they acquired from Aureal and not just rehashing the same echo and reverb tech from their original EMU10K DSPs. About fucking time too.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I have a SB Live! Value.

I'm really fucking sick of this EAX shit...maybe I'll stick a Turtle Beach in there...
The card sounds great, but EAX drives me up the fucking wall.

Oh yes, I almost forgot. What were the issues that you had with SiS, BRiT?

tzedek

Original Member
anyone know how to change the core voltage on an epox mobo :offtopic: there are no jumper settings and it isnt in the bios...