WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines So black!!

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
you know, sometimes I want to kill everything. This is one of those times.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
billybob13 said:
you know, sometimes I want to kill everything. This is one of those times.
I am sure it was a slip up. They are poor black people... nothing to get outraged about. If he said so poor, so white than he would still be racist against the black. He wasn't running them down or nothing... It was an odd use of words but still, people need to get off the racsim kick.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
I'm speachless. I can't see them writing that into the story. I think that may have been a freudian slip, but still.

Things that make you go "Hmmm".

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
_Kitana_ said:
I am sure it was a slip up. They are poor black people... nothing to get outraged about. If he said so poor, so white than he would still be racist against the black. He wasn't running them down or nothing... It was an odd use of words but still, people need to get off the racsim kick.
Fine let's all pretend it doesn't exist.

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
_Kitana_ said:
Just the fact that he said it, should bother you as much as it bothers me!

There is no reason to even say white/black/hispanic/dog/cat whatever the fuck you want to call them. They are people! That is enough. We all know how people LOOK LIKE!

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
MaxPower said:
Fine let's all pretend it doesn't exist.
I don't so much mean that we should ignore it or it doesn't exist. But not every slip done by a news person, or just people in general is meant to be racist or makes the person racist.

As for there is no need to say black, white or whatever...

He reporting a story about how the hurricane affect our poorest neighborhoods and how the majority of them are black. He giving facts not saying:

"Screw those poor black people and lets focus only on the white and important people"

It that was the case than I would be upset and outraged. He didn’t. He slipped up with his word usage and probably didn’t mean too.

If they never mentioned these people being black than it would be they are ignoring black people and the problems their community faces. Its a no win situation no matter how you look at it.

Jung

???
Premium
_Kitana_ said:
I don't so much mean that we should ignore it or it doesn't exist. But not every slip done by a news person, or just people in general is meant to be racist or makes the person racist.

He reporting a story about how the hurricane affect our poorest neighborhoods and how the majority of them are black. He giving facts not saying:

"Screw those poor black people and lets focus only on the white and important people"

It that was the case than I would be upset and outraged. He didn’t. He slipped up with his word usage and probably didn’t mean too.
Wow, some people just see the world in completely sheltered ways...

There was NO reason to mention black or white; there was an image on screen, and being black has nothing to do with being poor. If it was a slip, it was still in bad taste and questionable. Regardless, a national TV personality should no better than to even mention something like that, because quite obviously, in this situation, it's all about how people interpret his words, not what he really meant.
If they never mentioned these people being black than it would be they are ignoring black people and the problems their community faces. Its a no win situation no matter how you look at it.
Yes, because we all know the entire black community is poor. :rolleyes:

diamond

The nice guy
_Kitana_ said:

If this had been a racist attack, then I could see the point of mentioning that it was against black people, however when talking of the consequences of this sort of disaster, colour (color) is totally irelevant.
If there was a fire in a boarding kennels you would say how many dogs were in danger, not that many of them were labradors!

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
junglizm said:
Wow, some people just see the world in completely sheltered ways...

There was NO reason to mention black or white; there was an image on screen, and being black has nothing to do with being poor. If it was a slip, it was still in bad taste and questionable. Regardless, a national TV personality should no better than to even mention something like that, because quite obviously, in this situation, it's all about how people interpret his words, not what he really meant.
Junglizm, being poor is not limited to color of skin, neither is abuse, rape, crime. However I am not going to say someone should be fired for a mistake when reporting on a poor black Neighborhood nor be outraged by it.

Im not seeing the world in a completly sheltered way more in a realistic way where i understand that even professional can make a damn mistake.

diamond said:
If this had been a racist attack, then I could see the point of mentioning that it was against black people, however when talking of the consequences of this sort of disaster, colour (color) is totally irelevant.
If there was a fire in a boarding kennels you would say how many dogs were in danger, not that many of them were labradors!
They were showing a black neighboorhood, obviously. Not just the city. When they speak of the city itself? they don't say the black city and when they report on how many deaths they don't seprate them by color.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
'so poor, so black'.. i agree that a slip of the tongue is the easiest way to explain this but i cannot begin to understand what he actually meant to say if this was a slip/mistake, or where he was going with this if it wasn't..

so black? yeah, he's so two legged too, but it doesn't need pointing out..
and so black? are there degrees of blackness?

it's either a viral or he's a fuckwit..

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
void said:
'so poor, so black'.. i agree that a slip of the tongue is the easiest way to explain this but i cannot begin to understand what he actually meant to say if this was a slip/mistake, or where he was going with this if it wasn't..

so black? yeah, he's so two legged too, but it doesn't need pointing out..
and so black? are there degrees of blackness?

it's either a viral or he's a fuckwit..
Probally just going with the words and flow of things. Though "so black" was not a "good term" to use.

diamond

The nice guy
_Kitana_ said:
They were showing a black neighboorhood, obviously. Not just the city. When they speak of the city itself? they don't say the black city and when they report on how many deaths they don't seprate them by color.
Most neighbourhoods have a name or can be referred to by area, not by the colour of their inhabitants.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
diamond said:
Most neighbourhoods have a name or can be referred to by area, not by the colour of their inhabitants.
Would I know the name of the neighboorhood or that area. Would I know that it was a mostly black neighboorhood. NO! They put things in the simplest of terms so people everywhere can understand them.

Unforantly most of the poorest neighboorhood in most majior cities are black. It is an imporant for us and most Americans to understand that and see how underdeveloped black neighboorhoods are affected by this and how they don't get "proper warning".

That’s not to say the same thing about other poor ethnic group of people who were not altered. However the fact is the majority of them were "Black"

Jung

???
Premium
_Kitana_ said:
Junglizm, being poor is not limited to color of skin, neither is abuse, rape, crime. However I am not going to say someone should be fired for a mistake when reporting on a poor black Neighborhood nor be outraged by it.
Where did I say he should be fired? Please show me.

Im not seeing the world in a completly sheltered way more in a realistic way where i understand that even professional can make a damn mistake.
A mistake that was obviously driven by some inkling that black is somehow bad. Like I said though, it's TV, and his real intentions don't really matter now. He's either a racist or an idiot. If you can't understand that, then I'm done discussing this with you.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
junglizm said:
Where did I say he should be fired? Please show me.
was more adressing to what cff said.

junglizm said:
A mistake that was obviously driven by some inkling that black is somehow bad. Like I said though, it's TV, and his real intentions don't really matter now. He's either a racist or an idiot. If you can't understand that, then I'm done discussing this with you.
I am not going to judge a person I have not meant based on a slip up of words. As a writer and poet I realize he was probably going for a dramatic effect of words to go with the chilling and dramatic pictures.

From the sounds of it he was trying to report on an extremelypoor, mostly black neighbor hood using a poetic style to dramatize an already dramatic situation and described what he was seeing in the pictures. He easily got caught up in the repeating of the word “so’ and used the evil “so black.” mistakingly. I bet his producer easily caught it after he said it as did the rest of us and said move on with the story and cut him off and him being a professional moved on in a seemingly uninterrupted fashion. Kind of like how a play works when u add lib.

He add lib, messed up, moved on. As should the rest of us.

i can certainly understand it as being a slip-up. but did he have the balls to acknowledge it as a mistake? if he never came out and appoligized, it was most likely a racist attack.

but that's nothing.. what is the guys name who mistaked louisiana as a city?

to mistake the state of louisiana for a city is a pitiful "slip of words", or evidence that you have no idea what the hell you are talking about and you should not be in the position you are im. at least acknowledge that you made a mistake to everyone and say "excuse me-the City of New Orleans". it really doesn't offend me as much as N.O. residents, but it made him look like an ass.

tzedek

Original Member
Whats wrong with so black?

Sektor

Particinator
It's a comment made in poor taste. Everyone else has said everything that has already needed to be said, and I agree. You don't just make mistakes like that; he must be thinking that being black is some kind of disease or something. That's how he said it.

i can certainly understand it as being a slip-up. but did he have the balls to acknowledge it as a mistake? if he never came out and appoligized, it was most likely a racist attack.
If it was an honest mistake, I hope he's apologized for it already; otherwise, you might be right.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
It was just a slip up, relax...::redface::

Last edited by a moderator: