WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

So I bought a Maxtor drive...

Jung

???
Premium

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
junglizm said:
After reading a few reviews, I decided to purchase a Maxtor MaXline III instead of a second Raptor. I haven't been a fan of Maxxtor in the past, but this drive looks great; it has 16MB of cache, SATA 150, NCQ support and a five year warranty. The price is pretty good for the size as well.

Benchmarks: http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200406/200406207B300S0_3.html
Review: (lol Anandtech) http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=2094
Holy shit, I have a maxtor 200 gig hard drive...

unforantly, I didn't install it right and my husband hadn't had time to fix it up, but I did research it and glad you picked kind of the same one as me...

thats about all i can tell you about it.

:) See im smartish... when it comes to computers

Jung

???
Premium
_Kitana_ said:
Holy shit, I have a maxtor 200 gig hard drive...

unforantly, I didn't install it right and my husband hadn't had time to fix it up, but I did research it and glad you picked kind of the same one as me...

thats about all i can tell you about it.

:) See im smartish... when it comes to computers
Actually, most Maxtors drives are cheap, unreliable pieces of shit. This particular drive is awesome because its one of the first SATA drives I've seen that offers 16MB of cache and Native Command Queuing.

Descent

Hella Constipated
LiberatioN said:
You LOSE! Good DAY sir!!

Maxtor make all the crappy Dell refurbished drives...
:rotflmao:
Kids, there's NOTHING more cool than buying a hard drive from someone you like! But if somebody tries to sell you a hard drive from a brand or a store that makes you uncomfortable, that's NO GOOD. It's your data. No one has the right to lose it if you don't want them to. So whattya do? First, you file a class action lawsuit. Then, ya buy a Western Digital *SHRA-BWEEEOOOUM!*

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
See, I was kidding. Cuz the drive he actually bought is pretty good. I was just messing cuz it's a Maxtor and purchasing a Maxtor is a cardinal computer sin. :p

Descent

Hella Constipated
LiberatioN said:
See, I was kidding. Cuz the drive he actually bought is pretty good. I was just messing cuz it's a Maxtor and purchasing a Maxtor is a cardinal computer sin. :p
I know that. I was servicing a buddy's HPenis, and he was having random OS destruction and blue screens for months.

So what happens?

My bro takes it home, we're working on the thing for hours, and my bro says, "Jim! It ain't loading the fucking OS! XP just fucking hangs during the install!"

"Okay bro, this has happened three times now...Let's go wash the disc."

So we get back, and pop it in...

"Holy shit Jim, it ain't even booting from the CD now! What the...oh shit. It's dead. His drive's dead, it sounds like marbles."

"Oh, dude, this is truly the chink in HP's armor. They put Asus mobos, Infineon RAM, Cooler Master CPU cooling systems, and Maxtor hard drives? I mean, what the fuck?! That's like building a sportscar with a wooden drivetrain..."

"Dude, my Maxtor still runs."

"Yeah, because you bought their high-end 80GB with a dedicated SATA chipset - yours has no bridge chip. And it was the first drive on the fucking market like that. You have the expensive one - Charlie has this flaming POS, and it's no wonder HP's "die" so much when it turns out they shave an extra $5-10 off the unit by skimping on the part that people want to die the least - their hard drive."

So we whip out my old 200W Compaq PSU, my bro's PSU tester, and we open the drive and give it power.

"HAHAHA! What a piece of shit! The arm is fucking stuck to the tray and the motor for the tray is barely even fucking moving!"

And that was the funniest computer story ever. We kept harassing the kid for treating his machine like shit when it was his drive all along, and he was tellin' the fuckin' truth!

Jung

???
Premium
LiberatioN said:
purchasing a Maxtor is a cardinal computer sin. :p
Correction: Purchasing a cheap Maxtor is bad, their new higher end drives are actually pretty good.

I only bought this on a whim, mostly because I wanted another Raptor but wanted more space. The drives comes with a 5 year warranty, I"m good about backups and I don't plan on putting anything irreplaceable on the drive anyway, so what do I have to lose?

dookie

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!
i bought an 80g IDE hdd on ebay for eighty bucks australian. being the foolish fuck i am, i thought successfully installing it was like putting lego together, i thought i could do it by myself. but i was wrong. turns out i'm not as computer literate as i previously thought.

long story short: i had to pay an asian guy $20 to get it installed, those asians obviously possess magical powers because he had it installed and working within hours! i probably only saved a mere couple of bucks getting the hdd on ebay compared to buying it from the asian dude.

Jung

???
Premium
LiberatioN said:
Yea, I'd only purchase a Maxtor if I got a warranty like that.
Surprisingly, Maxtor is one of maybe three manufacturer's who do give 5 year warranties. I think Seagates only afford you 3 years.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
I've never heard of a Seagate crapping out though....

5 years is alot of time to insure a Maxtor. I've never seen one last more than 4, but I'd have to check up on that cuz I know several people who have older Maxtors. I dunno if they still use them though...it's a good idea to replace your primary drive every couple of years or so.

Jung

???
Premium
LiberatioN said:
I've never heard of a Seagate crapping out though.
I've had Maxtors, Seagates, Hitachis and Western Digitals crap out on me. Granted these weren't all in my home systems, but still. Maxtors have [arguably] gotten better in recent years as well... well at least their $120+ drives have.

Maxtor SCSI drives are pretty good shit too.
5 years is alot of time to insure a Maxtor. I've never seen one last more than 4, but I'd have to check up on that cuz I know several people who have older Maxtors. I dunno if they still use them though...it's a good idea to replace your primary drive every couple of years or so.
Eh, I know a few people who have old Maxtors that are still running strong, as well as people who had them crap out in under a year. Then again, I've had a head crash on a 6 month old Seagate without any warning. My upgrade cycle is about 2 - 2 1/2 years anyway, and I tend to keep my irreplaceable data backed up and off of my older drives.

Honestly, I think the main reason Maxtors get a bad name is because their cheap drives the OEMs use tend to die pretty quickly, so people associate that with their entire line.